Air filter changing 98-01 VFR 800 FI

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by reg71, Oct 1, 2006.

1. Marckus

Marckus New Member

My used '00 VFR did not include the extension handle in the tool kit. I was able to half-ways prop up the tank with a rolled up towel and lift it with one hand while I took a stubby screwdriver to the airbox screws with the other. No need to remove the tank. Helps to have a long phillips driver for those forward screws - especially the left. Found more than a few cobwebs, pine needles and leaves in there. Ick. Time for a new filter.

2. nookiaz

nookiaz New Member

United States
    Map
    Sorry to rehash an old thread but since some of us are preping our ride for the new season,
    My gas tank is full (for a 4-month storage), do I need to drain or empty (half?) it before changing my air filter?

3. TNRabbit

TNRabbit New Member

Map
    K&N air filters are the biggest fraud ever perpetrated on the internal combustion engine. Their filtering efficiency is a fraction of the OEM filter and nets you maybe one to two horsepower additional at 11,000 rpm. In the meantime it's letting all kinds of crap into your engine and slowly destroying destroying it.for this privilege to get to pay a ridiculous amount of money for a filter.

count me out.

4. 34468 Randy

34468 Randy Secret Insider

Canada
    Map
    Count me out in the future too. But I have to say, I have never replaced mine with OEM. When the original got dirty, I went to K&N. That was somewhere around 160,000 km ago. I have been using the K&M since. You may be quite correct that it allows more crap through, I simply do not know. But hell, my bike is now sitting somewhere at 185,000 or better with no real problems other than stator.

I just find the K&N a pain in the ass for me personally. Don't like the down time of the bike and the mess cleaning and dressing the element. I will be returning to OEM soon as the fluids I have run out.

I did not realize that the 5th gen, you had to totally remove the tank. What a bitch. The 6th gens are easy. Cept for dropping those damned Phillips screws down into the farings and beyond.

5. FJ12rydertoo

FJ12rydertoo Member

United States
    Map
    FWIW you don't have to remove the tank to change the filter on the 5th gens. I've cleaned my K&N a couple times without removing the tank. Lift and prop up. Not an issue.

VFRIRL likes this.