AM in California

Discussion in 'Trips & Events' started by A.M, Dec 29, 2016.

1. A.M

A.M Moderator Staff Member

Yep....the only tools I have never carried are chain rivet set, torque wrench, torque hammer. That will change next time.

I know I carry a lot, but I use every single thing in my trips except the tire plug kit.

I've never regretted carrying the stuff...I'd only regret what I wouldn't bring...Like the things that could help with this chain issue.

2. 34468 Randy

34468 Randy Secret Insider

Canada
    Map
    MasterCard. Don't leave home without it.

3. A.M

Day 7 and 8

Yesterday, the first day of 2017, I left Lints' place and drive through LA with Phoenix as destination for the night. I was super sad to be leaving CA, but super excited to make a destination by sunset...not well after dark.

Moto had other plans. The moto was cutting out on the highway and flat out died when I pulled off the first exit near Redlands. Ahhh...sounds familiar...I bet the battery teinals are loose!!

Quick fix. But moto died in a very sketchy area. I really didn't wanna unload there. So I shook moto while depressing starter hoping it would fire up by making a connection from the shaking. Sure as heck it worked!! I carefully rode to a public place that looked better...CVS Pharmacy.

There I unloaded and took care of the very loose negative battery terminal. Tested moto before loading back up. Figured I'd lube up chain while unloaded...like in Albuquerque. So I bent down to take a peak and saw the chain slacked so much.

[​IMG][​IMG]

As I already wrote in previous posts...dealt with that issue with help from guardian angel.

[​IMG]

Saw the most beautiful cloud break on way out of San Bernardino by all the wind fans!!

[​IMG]

Back in the road, I thought I wouldn't be so far behind. An hour delay. Goodbye CA :(

[​IMG]

Then...derp...time change!! Lost another hour there. Still got to destination Marrib before 10. And safely. So that's what matters. He let me bum around again until I decided to leave in the morning.

Day 8

Woke up and piddled. Really didn't wanna go. But loaded up and adjusted chain. And what the heck?...Seriously this happened somewhere...

[​IMG]

As I was riding off, the chain was making such a racket that Marrib came to the gas station to investigate more. We tightened the chain to the max which was still not enough and off I had to go. Determined to get home.

Goodbye Phoenix :(

[​IMG][​IMG]

I made it to Tucson...QT!!...and checked chain. Looser.

[​IMG]

I kept riding. Checked chain. Looser. By now I'm hoping to make it to Albuquerque. Took me a long time to cover ground with all the stopping, messaging, whatnots.

Plus I was nodding off on moto so I pulled over for a power nap. Marrib making me move my tent every hour so I don't give his yard a permaflat grass spot...got no sleep on that rigid schedule.

So I lay on moto to nap. Someone who spoke only Spanish came a gently shook me. It was apparent they though I was sick or dead. I had slept about 20 mins so I decided to snap photos and keep going.

[​IMG][​IMG]

Check chain again at gas stop...Love's almost as busy as Costco CA.

[​IMG]

By now I knew I prolly not make it home. Maybe I can get to Albuquerque. Started the resolve I'd have another night on the road.

Wasn't long after that I am riding down road thinking of plans just in case chain comes off and I survive. Plans like how far off Highway to set up tent or should I wear all gear to sleep in case a scorpion or snake gets in and attacks me.

I pull off to take gorgeous photos and to stop and think about what to do in terms of pushing it vs. being prudent.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

And I realize my chain won't last to Albuquerque. I have to plan for Las Cruces.

I'm riding and gazing get at the desert landscape, planning on how I'd kill a snake if one tries to attack me on side of road. Of all things I've been through, I'd be darned if a snake did me in!!

Just then I remember the Facebook page North America Biker Rescue. Join if you haven't!!
    [​IMG]

I put up a post hoping to get ideas for help in Las Cruces since that's where I really needed to stop I'd I made it.

Within seconds members were responding after members in the area were tagged. I was called and had a place to stay and help ideas for new chain in morning. There were people readying trucks and ramps to come get me. People are amazing! I know I say it often, but it's times like this that make a journey rewarding.

AZ sunset sums up how I feel about my beautiful new friends here in the southwest...all because of a setback. Is it really a setback then?

[​IMG][​IMG]

I made it to Las Cruces, bought liquor, made it to my hosts' home, ate tamales, drank said liquor, visited, loved on a huge St. Bernard and cats, and now turned in.

I await the morning when I meet two new friends and the Honda store opens. I'll go buy a chain and we will get it put on.

Now to rest. I'm missing teacher inservice tomorrow. I hope the chain is indeed the problem. I can't miss Wednesday when my kiddos come back to the classroom.

Get our there and experience the ups and downs. You'll find more ups! <3

4. Jeff_Barrett

Jeff_Barrett Member

Canada
    Map
    Hope the chain is easy to find and fixes your issue / gets you home.

WTH do your battery terminals keep coming loose so often? I've never had one come loose ... I could see it happening once, but yours seems to get loose every other day.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

5. kennybobby

kennybobby New Member

United States
    Heart of Dixie Georgia Boys mighta been usin' dat
    Map
    It looks from your picture that the eccentric adjustment is still forward of the max wear band--maybe the eccentric is not adjusted properly. It's hard to believe that chain stretching so much so quickly.

The chain adjuster eccentric is like an egg-shaped cam. If the axle centerline of the eccentric cam is above the swingarm centerline it will tend to loosen the chain if the pinch slips, and vice versa, if the eccentric cam is below the centerline slippage will tighten the chain. You want to use the eccentric in the range of adjustment such that the wheel centerline is below the swingarm centerline.

How to tell/adjust:

1. loosen the pinch bolt and put the spanner on the top side of the eccentric--when you push down on the spanner (rotates eccentric clockwise when viewed from the left), does the chain get tighter or looser?

2. If looser, then the chain can be tightened using the spanner from the bottom side and pullling up (counter clockwise);

3. if chain gets tighter then the eccentric is above the centerline and needs to be rotated around to below, put the spanner on the bottom side and pull up several times--the chain will get much looser at first then tighten back up as the cam moves below the swingarm.

4. if the chain is still too loose when the cam is at the maximum position (when the rear axle centerline is aligned with the swingarm centerline), then indeed a new chain is needed.

Long story short--you want the eccentric cam positioned to tighten the chain as you pull up on the spanner.

Looking back at post #110
    Then later it took 3 men with a cheater bar to loosen the pinch bolt...

Here's my guess what happened, Either it was done when new 4,000 miles ago, or later in Albq, but some dealer dude never worked on one of these before and (mis)adjusted the eccentric to the above-the-centerline position, and then had to over-torque the pinch bolt to try to hold it there.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2017
  6. duccmann

duccmann Member

United States
    Map
    Good job Kenny, hope it helps---- something more then the chain is amiss

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. duccmann

duccmann Member

United States
    Map
    WTH do your battery terminals keep coming loose so often?

Maybe a little lock tight is in order for those little bolts.

8. Allyance

Allyance Insider

United States
    Map
    Isn't there suppose to be a rubber strap to hold the battery to the bike? Only thing I can think off is battery moving around so much it loosens bolts. I remember the one on my 6th gen was a PIA to slip back on.

9. Jeff_Barrett

Jeff_Barrett Member

Canada
    Map
    I'm wondering the same thing. Maybe a lock-washer might be a little better than loctite.

10. duccmann

duccmann Member

United States
    Map
    Both---- there's a picture on this thread somewhere with a shot of her battery.
    Have ta jam, but I'm sure when Lint was in there he would of noticed if it wasn't strapped

11. Allyance

Allyance Insider

United States
    Map
    Right your are, found this:
    [​IMG]
    So that is not the problem. Maybe too many connections to terminals.

12. A.M

The loose terminal...idk...I do have a rubber band over it to help with vibration. We put another lead on it for the heated jacket and gloves Long gave me. So a lot of junk on there. That hasn't happened for months so I'm not worried about it.

Thank you, Kenny! Tackling chain now. Have a new one and getting it on now.

Update more later.

13. A.M

Bundling up for a cold winter's ride. Leaving soon. [​IMG]

14. ridervfr

ridervfr Member

Belgium
    Map
    Nice :thumbsup:

15. A.M

So I had to make a detour...

WOW!!!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    Met local Biker, George, and his Honda.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. MooseMoose

MooseMoose New Member

United States
    White sands is beautiful. That's where we began the atomic age, right there.

I've seen pictures of Trinity and, frankly, it's pretty non nondescript for the location of such an amazingly pivotal event in human history. Still want to go when the site is open -- it's on an Army base and they only open it a couple of weekends a month.

17. James Bond

James Bond Member

United States
    Map
    How on earth do people ride in a straight line longer than 10 minutes at a time!!!???? Nice pics.

18. MooseMoose

MooseMoose New Member

United States
    Try riding sober. You might be able to stay in your lane, then.

19. A.M

Brrrr...in Santa Rosa, NM[​IMG]

20. Jeff_Barrett

Jeff_Barrett Member

Canada
    Map
    That's getting down there .... be mindful of frost forming on the road at those temperatures. Especially if it was higher than 32 earlier today. Those are dangerous road conditions.