Another '99 5th gen restoration

Discussion in '5th Generation 1998-2001' started by w3bdevil, Oct 2, 2019.

1. w3bdevil

w3bdevil New Member

Finland
    Map
    Yes, someone wrote somewhere :) that the kevlar ones are less grabby. I can't compare since I've only had the kevlars but they are great so far.

It was actually your original thread that made me think about the whole project so thank YOU!

Here we go! Might get more track pics later, there were at least 2 photographers on site.

[​IMG]

2. w3bdevil

w3bdevil New Member

Finland
    Map
    Got a couple more. This is starting to go out of the scope of this thread but as it's about the end result I'll post them here. This 20 year old sport tourer is a perfectly capable casual/beginner track bike believe it or not. Not once or twice (in slow-mid group) I had some 600, R1 or similar shoot past on straight just to appear in front of me again mid corner brake lights blazing, a fast bike does not make you a better rider or your lines faster.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

All pics © Timo Holländer 2020

mello dude and jukka.urhonen like this.
  3. Jelorian

Jelorian New Member

United States
    Map
    Loved this thread! I'm currently going through mine, although with a LOT of help from a buddy who is more mechanically inclined than I am. Will post my own thread later but congrats on the great job of getting her back up to where you wanted and also for the effort to post pics and a write up. Great stuff!

mello dude likes this.
  4. w3bdevil

w3bdevil New Member

Finland
    Map
    Thanks and good luck with your project! I've seen so many question and problem threads where the actual answer/solution never gets updated that I try to remember to document and post what I do at a level that someone else might benefit from it.

5. w3bdevil

w3bdevil New Member

Finland
    Map
    A short after-project update since I feel this still belongs here. Since completing the project I have done a starter valve sync (as accurately as I could with the cheap vacuum gauges I have), installed a Healtech quickshifter and a Power Commander V. The PC is still running a generic map but I intend to get it tuned on a dyno. As others have already written, starter valve sync and PCV do smooth throttle response and throttle on-off behavior considerably. Earlier I was even a bit afraid of opening throttle on corner exits (on track) because it would jerk the bike and I was afraid of it ending up in a lowside sooner or later but now I have no problem at all with it. The quickshifter is fun and useful on track but if I'd only be riding on street I probably would not bother installing it.

6. Polaku

Polaku New Member

Poland
    Map
    I'm looking at this thread late but, I have a bit of an unrelated question. How are you cleaning the parts? Heavy degreaser and metal brushes?

7. Hingley

Hingley New Member

Canada
    The end result of your restoration work is truly amazing and gives me the confidence to dive into my 99 and get it ready for the road properly
    I was and am very nervous about getting into the valve check/adjustment but at 50,000 km (30,000 mile ) I know it is time to check them out
    and also change out the thermostat and O rings ( thanks to the Capt. for this reminder ) I had changed the short hoses and thermostat on the 1990 but did not check the O rings and now I wish I had of , I guess it is always a good day when you learn something new

And as a last note if anyone ever see a Corbin Smuggler seat cowl in yellow for the 99 VFR pop up on the net I would love to hear about it
    Hope everyone has a great Christmas

Attached Files:

8. w3bdevil

w3bdevil New Member

Finland
    Map
    Sorry for the late reply, for some reason I'm not getting notifications although I thought I'd enabled them... I used a pine-oil based alkaline (pH value around 10) cleaning product and a LOT of different types of brushes for different surfaces. I found a set of 3 different brushes (plastic, brass and inox) about the size of big toothbrush which I found very useful. I think they were originally intended for cleaning spark plugs.

9. w3bdevil

w3bdevil New Member

Finland
    Map
    Thanks! Don't worry too much about doing the valve clearances. All the needed info is in the service manual, which I do recommend reading well. Plan and prepare with all the needed tools and a good selection of shims, take your time following the proper procedure, and it'll be fine :)