Another FIRST BIKE POST! To VFR or NOT to VFR, that is the ???

Discussion in 'New Riders' started by TJFORBES, Jun 1, 2012.

?

"04" VFR800, Good big guy first bike?

1. YES

72.4%
  2. NO

27.6%
  1. tinkerinWstuff

tinkerinWstuff Administrator Staff Member

United States
    Map
    Because so many do. Either because they are paranoid about it or because they haven't experienced some of the treacherous things like hillsides, pantlegs caught on a footpeg, etc..

That's why you buy a dual sport because if you DON'T drop it, you aren't doing it right. Here's some fun from today, check out the douchebag in the pouring rain, thunder, and lightening try and cockblock me as I'm trying to haul ass off the mountain.

[video=youtube_share;XtFku5A42ic]http://youtu.be/XtFku5A42ic[/video]

The dual sport will teach you to move your ass around on the bike instead of sitting there like a statue as so many new riders do. Cornering techniques are different when you ride it on the street and in the dirt. If you have your heart set on one of those other "starter" bikes, I'd say fuck it and just buy the VFR.

2. Apittslife

Apittslife New Member

Map
    Well Technically She isn't my first bike, but I hadn't ridden a bike in 15 - 20 yrs. Actually I Started out wanting a Gold-Wing, But Came across 3 Interceptors, 1-750 & 2-1000's. Both the liter bikes were basically project bikes ( I have two projects vehicals ) So I went for the 750.

3. TJFORBES

TJFORBES New Member

I hear you guys about the dirt bikes, but if possible I would like to start off on a true motorcycle. So I have been looking and I found so other bikes that MIGHT be good starters. I've seen these bikes suggested, but I don't know that's why I'm asking. "03" SV650, "00" Ninja 500R, Suzuki Bandit 600. Any of these good? Just bikes I'm throwing out, cause their available and in my "LEARNER BIKE" price range.

4. tinkerinWstuff

United States
    Map
    I don't think anyone said dirt bike?

5. tinkerinWstuff

United States
    Map
    Long is gonna be hurt when he hears you don't think his F800GS is a real motorcycle

according to merriam-Webster:
    Motorcycle = an automotive vehicle with two in-line wheels

Motorcycle - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary

Man, my last feeling is gonna be hurt - everyone gets a thanks for their opinion but mine sucks somehow :pout:

6. OOTV

OOTV Insider

In the hands of a capable rider any two wheeled motorcycle can be a "true motorcycle". You would be surprised what you can do with a dual sport on paved roads, in the canyons in particular. I have seen some riders keep up and even surpass sport riders when the twisties get really tight, only to loose ground when the straight aways are long, horse power/top speed are the issue there. Hell, there's video on YouTube where guys are riding Goldwings on the track and even passing guys on sport bikes! Most of us here would not consider even owning a GW, let alone ride one, but again in the hands of a talented rider, even a GW can be a "true motorcycle".

BTW, my first bike was a Honda XL125 and I learned a lot riding that thing all over, street dirt, highways, the only place I could not "legally" ride it was the freeway, needed a minimum of 175CC to be freeway legal in CA at the time.

Good luck on your search, I'm sure you'll find what you're looking for.

7. Badbilly

Badbilly Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!

United States
    If the safety program provides a smaller "learner" bike, by the time you are graduated, you will be able to ride any of the VFRs. The dudes to talk to are your instructors unless they work in motorcycle sales.. OTOH. ain't nothin wrong having more than one bike..

Even a dirt bike.. but not a dirty bike..:)

The major lesson on dirt is ya learn to slide. What you remember is what to do when you slide on the street you correct rather than freak and slam on the binders.

8. Badbilly

United States
    Miriam Webster was the bitch that fell off.

9. mello dude

mello dude Administrator

Romania
    Map
    Any of those 3 would be good - the SV650 is on the top of the list. --- Suggestion - dont decide untill after you take the rider course. You will then be able to decide whether you need more time to build skills or you feel the VFR will be ok. Ask your instructors their feedback on how well they think your doing.

10. currjd17

currjd17 New Member

hello, i would say go for it, if you love the style and dont mind lifting a heavy bike of the ground when you drop it, cause you will. i started riding last year and the first bike i ever got on was a 1985 honda vfr700, i still have it, im absolutely still in love with it, sometimes when you see a bike you just know, take it easy though like everyone says get to know your bike before you really go road heavy with it.

11. kweezy

kweezy New Member

Map
    I do not recommend a cbr600 to start out on. I have a 2000 F4, and I am aware that sport bikes weren't as crazy or race oriented in 91, but despite only being a 600, my bike has plenty of power to put even a big guy on his A$$ as they dump the clutch as a mistake. The CBR600 actually produces more power than a VFR800, but it is all in the upper rpm range. You can see plenty of videos on Youtube where a beginner gives a sportbike too much gas, dumps the clutch, and wrecks the bike. The VFR makes much more power and torque in the low RPM range. The nature of a 600cc sportbike is that they are extremly high revving and have virtually no power below 7000 RPM. I started on a 86 VFR700. It was heavy, but easy to ride IMO. If I had complete motorcycle riding amnesia and had to learn to ride again, I would get an 2nd gen VFR700 (one without perfect graphics on the fairings) and start from there.

PS:
    The SV650, Kawasaki 500 ninja, and Katana 600 are all completely different beasts from say, a CBR600, R6, GSXR600 or ninja ZX6R. The bikes in the first part of the sentence are bikes designed for use on the street, while the second series of bikes are bikes designed for racing, which were adapted for the street.

12. TJFORBES

TJFORBES New Member

Awww man! I didn't mean to offend anyone with my comment, it may have came out wrong. I live in a metro area and it would just be ODD IMHO for me to be riding a non-traditional motorcycle on the street. I'm sure those bikes are awesome, I would like to start on something like I mentioned that's all. I'm trying to get in as much PRE-STUDY as possible right now, after I take my MSF course which starts Monday I'll know a lot more. I really like that SV650 I actually wouldn't mined keeping it and adding full fairings. SWEET!!!

13. tinkerinWstuff

United States
    Map
    Well then I stand by what I said earlier then; f'it and get the VFr. I also like Mello's suggestion to consult your instructor.

14. TJFORBES

TJFORBES New Member

I just watched a YOUTUBE VIDEO of a GIRL learning to ride on a HAYABUSA!!!!!! You guys think a VFR800 is TOO MUCH?! I wouldn't go that far, but it didn't look like she was having trouble controlling her speed. Just saying.

First Busa Ride - YouTube

15. Badbilly

United States
    You could start off with a Harley bagger. Then we know for sure you will get a VFR.

16. Deadsmiley

Deadsmiley Member

United States
    Map
    Of course you can ride a big bike as your first bike. They all have a throttle, clutch, brakes, turn signals, etc...

I think the main points that have been missed are these:

A bigger bike will get you into trouble a lot quicker than a smaller bike. "Respecting the throttle" is nothing more than justification for a bigger bike, and it's a bullshit claim. I have seen guys buy a new 1000cc sportbike and 6 months later I can still leave them in the dust on my wife's Ninja 500 on the back roads. They couldn't ride for shit unless it was in a straight line. With a bigger bike you simply stunt your learning curve. Instead of learning to carry your speed through a corner you will most likely develop the habit of blasting up to a corner, slowing way down to get through it, then getting on the throttle hard after the bike is upright.

With a small bike you will learn that if you don't have good entry speed, then that small engine isn't going to make up for it on corner exit. It pretty much forces you into becoming a better rider.

During a recent group ride one of the riders was on his son's 2008 Ninja 250. We had about 8-9 people on the ride that day. He was ahead of me the whole ride and I was on my VFR. Why? He's a better rider and there was no way I could keep up with him on the twisty Tennessee back roads.

The bigger bike will stunt your growth as a rider.

17. Deadsmiley

Deadsmiley Member

United States
    Map
    Try this on for size.

You came to a VFR forum asking if it is a good choice for a first bike. People here love the VFR. They want others to ride it. The natural tendency is to encourage others to ride their bike of choice.

Ask this same question on the CBR600 forum, Gixxer forum, S1000 RR forum and see if you don't get about the same results on your poll. I am betting $10 that you will.

18. tinkerinWstuff

United States
    Map
    Jesus, I still can't get a thanks in a thread where they're handed out like candy.

I quit

19. Deadsmiley

Deadsmiley Member

United States
    Map
    I still wuv you man.

20. viffer0393

viffer0393 New Member

Yep, I dropped my 750 twice, due to stepping in anti-freeze at a stoplight, and moving it out of the garage to wash it lol. And the 1200 has some fresh scatches due to someone knocking it over on gravel, still pretty hot about that one.
    But I agree, my first bike was the 97 VFR 750, and I loved it. But just dont start out on something your terrified to scratch, as it is bound to happen.