Another FIRST BIKE POST! To VFR or NOT to VFR, that is the ???

Discussion in 'New Riders' started by TJFORBES, Jun 1, 2012.

?

"04" VFR800, Good big guy first bike?

1. YES

72.4%
  2. NO

27.6%
  1. CRAZY K

CRAZY K New Member

TJFORBES,

Welcome aboard to the site. After reading your post, it reminded me of my self in the beginning. I have been riding for 15 years and have riden many different manufacture and style bikes. From a 750 Magna to a Kawasaki ninja 600R. I now own my second sixth Generation VFR 800. I am 6'1 225 pounds. I was to tall to feel comfortable on my Ninja and even my cruisers like the Magna and Shadow helped alittle but was not there yet.
    My first VFR (2002) was the right choice. It felt good and comfortable, and never strained my back or arms.Thats why I bought another after my first (LOVE) was stolen. My advice is try renting a VFR 800 before full purchase. Do about 25-50 miles and see how it feels. If you dont like it then, you have your answer.
    Do not worry about being a beginner. The size of the engine does not make you a professional, respect the ride and you will be safe. ( My old man bought me a V-65 (1100 CC) Magna when I was 17. I rode that to until I joined the Marine Corp. Like I said, respect the machine!

2. Badbilly

Badbilly Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!

United States
    Even if nobody thanks you. Jesus loves you I think.

3. FoothillRyder

FoothillRyder New Member

After reading all the responses in this thread, I'll give you my summary. I've been riding nearly 50 years, started on dirt bikes (MX bikes, way back when). My first street bike was a Triumph Bonneville, which was a lot of bike at the time. At that time there was no MSF and very few ways to learn other than the hard way. So I learned.

You're approaching this in a very sensible manner lad, and I give you big props for that. Take the course and talk to your instructors. I'd guess they'll steer you in a direction similar to most folks here. Don't buy a pristine VFR and hope it stays that way. You'll make the same mistakes we all have made. It'll get scratched up. Buy one of the 'naked' alternatives. As many have suggested, the Suzuki SV is a good choice. It's 100lb lighter than the newer VFR's, makes plenty of power to develop your skills, and will be easy to pick up and cheap to fix when it falls down. The Kawi 500 is also a good choice, although it has more plastic than the naked SV.

A DS bike (KLR et al) might be even better if you can accept the style. :cool:

4. mello dude

mello dude Administrator

Romania
    Map
    Holy shit, that's totally whacked. Yeah, lets go ahead and give a newbie rider a 180 hp missile! Yeah thats the right way! OMG - That's sorta like taking flying lessons and dropping you in an F-16 for a first flight instead of a Cessna. Unbelieveable.

5. OOTV

OOTV Insider

Learning to ride on a particular bike, i.e. gas, clutch and braking action, is a little different than owning the bike as a first time ride. Still, I would not have let anyone of my friends or family learn on a "Drag Bike"! But let's not forget about the other part to this... NO protective clothing other than gloves and a helmet, and it looks like the helmet isn't even strapped on! She's wearing a short sleeve top, jeans, and tennis shoes! And no one is even riding with her! Oh I forgot, he's talking her through it, ON THE PHONE! Way to go guy, Boyfriend/Husband of the year award to that guy.

6. TJFORBES

TJFORBES New Member

THANKS Guys I really appreciate your responses and I am considering all your suggestions. I just kinda WISH I came here and EVERYONE said GO FOR IT. I just fell in LOVE at FIRST SIGHT with the VFR800, it just spoke to me. It said "TJ, RIDE ME, LOVE ME" LOL that's why I kinda fight to see it go my way, but I listen to my elders and respect you all. I will talk to my instructors and learn on a smaller bike. For the most part, cause I don't want to see any harm come to my VFR800 whenever I get her. Oh and I thought you all would get a kick out of the girl on the Busa, that was CRAZY!!!! I kept thinking "She's NOT coming back" whenever she rode out of frame. smh

7. Bandit

Bandit New Member

Hi TJ,

Just to throw my 2 cents worth in. I've been riding for 30+ years and about 18 months ago my son who was 23 at the time said he wanted to get a bike and what should be get. Not sure what bikes learners can ride in the US, but here in Australia they are restricted based on the power to weight ratio of the bike. This means most small capacity bikes are OK (except for a few 250cc 2 stroke rockets), but also include a number of larger capacity bikes (some up to 650cc like the Hyosung). My son Luke is about 6'2" and 200lbs and I advised he should get a larger capacity bike that will see him through his early days but be good enough that he doesn't feel he must upgrade immediately. I also suggested he asks of the editor of Australia's premier motorcycling magazine (Two Wheels). What was reassuring was that the advice he received from both of us was the same "get a GS500 (Ff) Suzuki, reliable as all hell, bullet proof, comfortable yet still a little sporty, easy and compliant yet will keep with some of the bigger boys without ringing the tits off her".

Well he heeded the advice and bought a 2005 GS500F which is bloody beaut! He's done a few courses with me and also a number of decent rides. Some of the rides he's been with R1s, Blackbirds, Hyabusas, Ducatis etc and at each stop the riders of the bigger machines talk to Luke and are amazed at how a "leaner legal" can keep with them. He's had it for 18 months now and is thinking of upgrading to a GSXR750 or Triumph Daytona. Anyway all I can say is have a look at and ride a GS500. They are relatively cheap even when new, hold their value, are easy to service, fun to ride and are very saleable when you decide to upgrade to a VFR800. Whatever you get will be fine, but don’t get a 250; as you said toooo smaaaaall and you’ll regret it very soon. Do yourself a favour and look at a GS500 (F), you can’t go wrong. Short of that the SV650 is worthwhile also. The Kwaka ER6N (600cc) etc. Keep clear of the out and out sports bikes like the Honda CBRs, R6s, GSXR600s etc. Fun for experienced riders but a bugger in traffic and to learn on.

Whatever you get I'm sure you'll enjoy it. Practice, get your confidence, do a few coursers. Find a few mates who can ride (a lot can't) and learn from them. You'll find someone who is fluid and looks like he's standing still but no-one else can keep with him; he's the one to follow. Watch his lines, his entries into corners, his braking points, turn in points etc. Watch how he creates buffer zones between himself and the other traffic, etc.

Anyway I've spent more than 2 cents here. Whatever you do enjoy yourself, take it easy by riding within your limits and ensure you stay upright. Also do some more courses and after a while the odd track day. Welcome to the motorcycling community and whatever you get it will be great to be on on the road.

Cheers

Colin

8. Badbilly

United States
    The bureaucraps here used that displacment ploy here in several states for years to extract more money for licensing a bike. Lets for shits and giggle do two things. A: a run around a track with a 102 inch Harley and a 350 Kenny Roberts Yamaha or just as rediculous a Gamma at 500cc.

B: two identical bikes, same track and me or you against one of the fast guys for a couple of laps. Guess who wins.?

When Washington state had the sillyass thing going to stuff the coffers. I did a bore job on an SR500 and popped in a 90mm piston.. Displacment went from +/- 500cc to bit over that. It took the locals DMV about two hours to figure out what to do with that one.

Many of the "courses" here upon successful completion waive the regular tests of riding and sometimes the written parts of the various DMV (Department of Motor Vehicles) requirements. US law is what we call "States Rights" . Meaning what I wrote is sort of true depending on where one resides.

9. Badbilly

United States
    I was hoping for a little more butt crack on lap 3.

10. TJFORBES

TJFORBES New Member

THANKS! I really like the SV650 so it would be a good beginner bike to start with, cause I see one in my area for sale in my price range. It's an "03" with 16K miles on it, I'm thinking if it's still available by the end of the month I'll attempt to get it. I know it depends on the person, but how long do you guys think it will take for me to be a capable VFR800 rider? I could see myself riding that SV650 for a while without complaining, UNTIL I see a VFR800 on the road. LOL

11. Badbilly

United States
    Never, if you don't have one.

12. TJFORBES

TJFORBES New Member

o_O LOL Ok BADBILLY!

13. Badbilly

United States
    LOL!!

Some of the "advice" being given is OK some of it is so subjective it's like dropping a sledgehammer on your foot. Example: Get a lighter smaller displacement bike. Great if your are talking some bikes but to encompass that same "advice" to all bikes just ain't right.

Take a ride on one of any of the current 250cc motocross bikes or hop on even a 25 year old two stroke motocrosser like a Maico 360, gas those puppys and feel your pucker get powered.

VFRs right out of the box are not that hard to ride. Sure you can get into trouble with one but to say that can't happen with some other bike is BS..

Last edited: Jun 4, 2012
  14. Pliskin

Pliskin New Member

United States
    Map
    I'm 6' 2", 240. I learned on the dirt some 30 plus years ago. First street bike was a Kawi GPz750. Then I took about a 10-12 year hiatus, and ended up on the VFR.

There's no rule that says you will drop a bike. I lowsided my GPz, but I've never just dropped a bike. A lot of people are concerned about the VFR's weight because she's about 550# or so. When you throw on a new rider in some new gear that makes movement a bit awkward, and combine that with stupid people in cars, gravel on roads, oils slicks at intersections, and so on, suddenly its a legitimate concern.

As many guys mentioned, any bike can get you into trouble. There are definitely a lot of valid points here for reasons to NOT get a VFR, and you need to think about all these.

That being said, I'll lean in the direction of buying it. If you have some common sense, which I suspect you do, you'll respect this bike and understand how easily it can either fall over (costing you hundreds to potentially thousands), or get away from you under throttle (potentially costing you much more than some new plastic fairings and levers).

Keep us posted, and no matter what bike you buy, its good that your taking the class. And whether you ultimately end up on a 500 or a 1200, don't try to impress anyone... just ride your own ride. It'll keep you alive.

15. TJFORBES

TJFORBES New Member

Thanks guys, I guess I'm kinda in a RUSH for reassurance, but I still haven't rode on a bike and until that happens I really won't know what's my best choice. I was just shooting my thoughts out at my current mind state. I opted for the EXTENDED MSF class which should really help me. I'm in the 8 DAY class opposed to the 2-3 day weekend class. I will be learning Mon-Thur for the next two weeks, which should be a great help.

16. Bandit

Bandit New Member

Prior to my VFR I had a 1200 Bandit. Great bike with mountains of torque, as easy as all hell to ride. Good upright seating position, great to tour on either one or tow up, good through the twisties, etc. The VFR is a lot more lay down and you need to use the gearbox a lot more. It doesn't have the torque of the Bandit, but is great and exhilarating to ride. In saying the VFR is a good bike, I don't think it is for a newbie, at least not for a while. It's easy to get yourself into trouble on one if you don't have a good bit of expereince. I'd stick with the SV650 for 12-18 months, then take a VFR for a ride and see what you think. Many people are content with something like a SV650; it' a matter of what type of riding you want to do which is very much dictated by the friednds ride with. That's where some advanced rider training after you have developed good fundamental skills is important.

Cheers and best of luck. Keep me posted on what you end up doing. I've hopefully attached a pic of my VFR

Colin

Attached Files:

17. mello dude

mello dude Administrator

Romania
    Map
    Your doing the right thing with the extended class, you will have a good idea where you are at by then. -

- A big kudos to you for taking the class before you buy a bike. I just cringe every time I see some newbie that jumps out and buys a near current super sport, and says I'm taking the MSF class in three months.... Well foole, you could be rashed in a hospital by then.

18. duccmann

duccmann Member

United States
    Map
    Your size and weight would be a plus on handling the weight of the VFR--- You sound like a pretty level headed adult, not a squidly 20+. Take the riders class, respect the bike-don't be a dumb ass --- I say go for it--- oh, do you have any dirt bike experience at all ? that's a plus on any street bike-JMO

19. TJFORBES

TJFORBES New Member

Thanks guys, I just got back from DAY 1 of the MSF and so far I have a HEADACHE! LOL It was ALL BOOKS today and I just want to get out there. I learned EVERYTHING about a bike ON PAPER! The riding starts tomorrow. Then I can begin to access myself.

20. duccmann

duccmann Member

United States
    Map
    Excellent. What bikes are you riding at the school ? Be safe