Another FIRST BIKE POST! To VFR or NOT to VFR, that is the ???

Discussion in 'New Riders' started by TJFORBES, Jun 1, 2012.

?

"04" VFR800, Good big guy first bike?

1. YES

72.4%
  2. NO

27.6%
  1. OTTOMAN

OTTOMAN New Member

United States
    Map
    Tink's dual sport idea is a good one plus they are tons of fun as a compliment to your eventual VFR purchase. You'll learn so much more about monitoring traction and maintaining balance with some offroad adventures. On the other hand, you're likely to get bored too soon (before you've learned the lessons and come to appreciate the genre). I read into your comments that you wont truly be happy unless you have a fully faired bike and you certainly have shown a preference towards the VFR, so...the weight everyone is always so concerned about provides an element of stability once underway and you're certainly big enough to pick it back up from a parking lot drop (which happens to us all). VFR's really are "fall off a log easy" to ride. Can you afford to replace a side or tail fairing if necessary? Go for it!

2. Arnzinator

Arnzinator New Member

United States
    Map
    Hello TJ, I have a suggestion that might help your decision making process. Research your local dealership inventories and find out what bikes they have in stock. If there is any large independent dealerships in your area they may have all or most of bikes mentioned here under one roof. Go check the bikes out in person. Sit on as many as possible. Yes you may have to deal with an overbearing sales person, and yes I know sitting on bike is not a substitute for riding one. You may find that a particular bike just doesn't fit and your not comfortable. If that bike isn't comfy sitting still image how it feels after 4-5 hours. You can visit a dealership/ shop get the info you need & not spend any money.
    As for the VFR, yeah its a heavy bike. But one of it's many magical qualities is the weight seems to disappear as soon as it starts moving. IMO a VFR is very stable & easy to handle. I've been on smaller lighter bikes that seem nervous or twitchy by comparison. That could be unsettling to a new rider. Don't worry about a "tip-over" or dropping your bike. That can happen to any rider at any time of any experience level. Finish your MSF course and if you feel confident go for the VFR.
    BTW every motorcycle weighs a ton when its lying on it's side.

3. Badbilly

Badbilly Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!

United States
    Research in the archives the procedure for determining if a new bike fits the need. This can be found around c 2009 just before sales of the VFR 1200 began

First rule: Make sure the kickstand a/o centerstand if equipped with same, is firmly in place.

There are no specific rules concerning throttle twisting or clutch and brake lever pumping. No more that 18 repeats of the phrase "vroom-vroom" and finally no farting on the seat unless it's covered with a protective cover.

Alway approach a dealership wearing ATGATT with all the labels showing if possible.

Lie to the salesman and tell him or her that you want the longest possible payout on the bike. He will then be your friend. Also tell him that you watch races on the TVEE. Drop a few names of the fast guys and make a couple of titty jokes about the umbrella girls.. Titty jokes can be found on Google if you don't know one or two.

Do not ask about mileage. The sales doods lie enough as it is and they are resigned not to go to heaven anyway.

Do not ask about top end. The sales doods lie enough as it is and they are resigned not to go to heaven anyway.

Print out or memorize these few simple and easy to follow rules and suggestions and or you will go to hell or some other shit that is too scary to mention here.

4. TJFORBES

TJFORBES New Member

I'll know today, first day was ALL book work. smh

5. reg71

reg71 Poser Staff Member

United States
    Map
    out of those I'd go with the sv650 first unless the bandit was way too cheap to pass up. my first street bike was a yamaha seca 2 600 which is(was) the bandit's competitor at the time. Both really good sport-standards. Prob after a year or so you'd be looking around. You could start on the VFR, but just FYI I have dropped mine 6 times in 5 years about half from working on something and knocking it over or something stupid like that and half while riding. Each piece of plastic will run you $250+... trust me that adds up quick.

6. duccmann

duccmann Member

United States
    Map
    TJ, did you survive???????????

7. zoom-zoom

zoom-zoom Member

Canada
    Map
    Hey TJ

As a starter bike, my first ride was a 1984 CB450 which I rode for about a year. At the time I started riding I was 6 ft and 140 lbs and the CB450 was a great bike to learn on. The actual bike had reasonable power and was easy to maneuver and not too heavy. My best friend Doug told me once that the cardinal first rule of motorcycling is that as a new rider "Your motorcycle WILL fall over", but hopefully it is more along the lines of "Oops I forgot to put the kickstand down before getting off", or "Damn, I guess I was in second gear, not first." I unfortunately did both.

The best thing about a starter bike like the early CB's is the low cost of purchase and if (WHEN) they do fall over, you generally just break a turn signal stock or scuff the bars. As a first bike, the VFR, being a full fairing bike, can be painfully expensive to repair when they fall over. Fairing scratches not only look bad, they make you feel just sick, not to mention how bad you will feel when you find out what it can cost to fix said OOPS damages.

For my second season of riding I purchased a 1984 CB750 Nighthawk. The CB 750 was a great bike and there are many times I wish I still had that bike. I would think that as a starter bike this might be a good choice. I always felt that my CB450 was a little anemic especially on the highway, but my CB750 was great. It had enough power that I could keep up with my buddies on the highway, had a reasonably good fuel range, and was nimble enough that it was easy to ride. The other thing that was nice about the CB750 was that I didn't feel to cramped on the bike. I am now closer to 180 lbs and had a chance to ride a friends 2001 SV650S a couple of years ago and though it was a really nice bike to ride (very nimble and easy to ride) I did find that I could not ride it very far without feeling cramped. Having long legs (34" inseam) I found that my legs got tired really quickly when I rode the SV650 for more than an hour.

The long and short of it is that you should get what you find is comfortable for you. The best advice I can offer is ride within your OWN abilities and ride as though everyone else is out to kill you. Learning to ride is one of the best and most fun things I have ever done and I have a lot of good times over the years. Welcome to the World and the world of bikes. Keep it shiny side up and good luck with your search for the perfect bike.

8. TJFORBES

TJFORBES New Member

We are riding some old HONDA's, I think they are 250's. I did pretty good for the first time I ever got on a bike. I broke off those beginner jitters, It should be much better today. We didn't do much, but ride back and forth and we rode and shifted up to second. then back down and made a stop then a sharp turn. Somebody FELL OFF their bike so we got behind. The ambulance came, they seemed to be ok after they got up 10 MINS LATER.

9. tinkerinWstuff

tinkerinWstuff Administrator Staff Member

United States
    Map
    Have got to be shitting me

10. Badbilly

United States
    Go for a ride?

11. tinkerinWstuff

United States
    Map
    They should start people with bubble gum and see if the person can walk the cones before letting them swing a leg over

12. TJFORBES

TJFORBES New Member

Nope! They want everybody there 15 mins earlier today @7:30 cause we gotta play catch up now since the dude fell off. He was pretty overweight and I don't know how, but he ended up on the SMALLEST BIKE! o_O smh

13. Badbilly

United States

These courses vary from (usually) state to state. In WA, they flunk folks. Got some buds who teach both the basic and advanced courses. If they determine someone is just not compatible with a motorcycle, out they go. There are folks that shouldn't be riding any bike or driving for that matter.

They also look for gum under the seats.. ;)

14. reg71

reg71 Poser Staff Member

United States
    Map
    Wondering if Tink has enough thanks yet... Maybe I'll go find his most favoritest thread...

15. tinkerinWstuff

United States
    Map
    Nice - remind me to bring you some more dam beer

16. fieldsanitation

fieldsanitation New Member

off the Dulles Toll Road, with the Trolls in NoVA
    Map
    I wish that I had learned on dirt before I got my first bike. I bought a 12 year old nighthawk 650 for my first bike (5'8" 120lbs back then) and dropped it twice within the first year on gravel or sand. replaced handlebars and pegs and turn signals and kept at it. left the dent in the tank. Drove that bike up the east coast a few years later. I stayed far away from the CBRs,GIXxers and YZF's (91-93 timeframe) because those guys were racing as fast as they could everywhere they went.... and we eventually lost one of our brothers to a highside on a country corner.

Plastics are expensive, and mistakes are going to happen. My wife took her course 2 years ago on a 250 and the instructors told her to buy a 250. I refused to allow her to do that and her first bike was a 6 year old ninja 500. 2 years later she has now upgraded to a 4 year old ninja 650 and feels comfortable and in more control of her passing ability on the highway. However she's ridden my VFR around the parking lot a few times and she said it felt a little heavier, but under power handled normally.

Respect the bike, wear the proper gear, and watch out for Man, Nature, and Death and you will do well. The fact that you're taking a course is the best first step anyone could take.

17. tinkerinWstuff

United States
    Map
    Just got the phone call from the new owner of my old 3rd gen.

1st bike, just got his license.

dropped it in his driveway, busted lower fairing.

had to talk him off the ledge and tell him it had been fixed once and can be fixed again.

18. OOTV

OOTV Insider

Hmm...Maybe this is just a coincidence?

19. JTC

JTC New Member

United States
    Map
    1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th etc... I don't even "really" start riding til they've been dropped.
    Besides, my pops always said (when he was teaching me how to ride a dirt bike) "If you don't crash once in a while then you're not going fast enough."

20. Alaskan

Alaskan Member

United States
    Map
    I am with Toe, mello dude, Lgn001, Reg71, and Tink. If it were me, I would start on a lighter naked - like a used SV650. That is a bike that you can grow into AND there are lots of them about for cheap AND there are a lot of aftermarket mods for these bikes. A great engine and easy to ride . The Suzuki SV 650 is a great bike, but NOT the SVS model. The SVS 650 has a very sporty - extreme/cramped - riding position, especially for a big guy.

If I were starting out, that is what I would buy. I would even consider one now . . .

Another great 1st bike is a Honda 599.