Another Old Guy Getting Back Into Riding :)

Discussion in 'General VFR Discussions' started by hightowermusic, Oct 4, 2014.

1. hightowermusic

hightowermusic New Member

Hey everyone. My name is Chris. I am from Tri-Cities, Washington state. Good to meet you all and glad to be here on your cool forums. Like the title says... I'm 43 and getting back into riding. I gave it up when I had kids and now my youngest, my son age 17, is interested in riding. We got him a 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250 in Candy Plasma Blue. He loves it. I decided it was time to get myself a bike to. I picked up a 2007 Honda VFR800. I just loved the looks and the fact it was a sport/touring bike. I have only rode it up and down the street once when nobody was looking :). No helmet yet, but I had to try it out. Its been almost 20 years since I have ridden and I am considering taking the MSF course just to get refamilurized and get the 5% insurance discount. My son is already signed up and set to go in about a week, but he has been riding up and down our driveway since we brought his bike home. He has his dads natural skill and has picked up riding rather quickly. *back pat* :)

My wife is interested in riding to. She rode a moped back in the day and after checking out the Honda Silverwing FSC600. She has gotten somewhat excited. We're currently shopping for a good one. I'm a big guy at 351lbs 6'3" and I am about 100lbs heavier than when I used to ride. Drunk driver rear ended me and I am just now getting off my butt since the accident. Its going to be interesting to see how a long ride agrees with me now, but we are all excited to be riding. Well, hope to see some of you on the road soon...

My VFR
    [​IMG]

Mine and my sons bikes
    [​IMG]

2. REEK

REEK New Member

United States
    Map
    welcome back! right onto a VFR too! I'm 43 and 210 and 5'10". I need a few more years to catch up to you at 351. may need a bit longer to get to 6'3" though.

That's a sign of a good dad, getting the son a bike before getting yourself one. The ninjette is a nice starter too. my neighbor kid (21 yr old) has one and I occassionally help him wrench on it to save him some college cash. a few test rides and it's kinda a fun little bike.

hope you get your gear soon so you can log some saddle time. and yes, take the course. after that many years out, not a bad idea. have fun and post some pics of your first father - son ride!

3. RobVG

RobVG Member

Canada
    Map
    Welcome to the club. You're not alone.

There's a road that parallels 82 on the North side. I drive to Pendleton a few times a year and on the way back I see that twisty section that was probably the old highway. Always wanted to ride it.

4. dennisarner

dennisarner New Member

43 = OLD? Heck you are just a puppy. I am 63 and just got back into riding after a 20 year break due to family considerations. Bought an 07 VFR800 Anniversary Edition. Still learning how to handle it. Great bike. Good luck to you and your son.

5. rvmiller

rvmiller New Member

United States
    Map
    Welcome "old guy" lol...

I got back into riding in 2012 @ 43yrs old. Enjoy it

ATGATT!

Ride Red!

6. skimad4x4

skimad4x4 "Official" VFRWorld Greeter

France
    Map
    Welcome to the MadHouse :welcome: - and congratulations on your purchase - that's a might pretty VFR which will provide many big smiles!

If the wife has only ridden a moped before, then stepping onto the FSC600 will come as quite a shock as its scooter on steroids which is a lot faster than many motorbikes. I guess it would make a useful stepping stone to a motorbike, but if that's the plan, then also investing in training will pay dividends. Typical road positioning on a moped will be all wrong for something that fast. Indeed a quality motorbike training course just might change her preferences and allow you to side step the scooter and go straight to a practical small and light motorbike like a bandit or hornet. If she is vertically challenged try the Street Triple which is light and has a nice low seat, and with over 100 horses on tap from a great engine she should be able to keep up with you on the VFR.

Take care

SkiMad

7. duccmann

duccmann Member

United States
    Map
    Welcome to the mad house..your just a pup at 43...DIFFINATLEY take the course. ...you should go with your Son.....thats a great Dad gettin his son his first bike..
    Do you or your Son have any dirt bike experience? ...always helps......enjoy

8. Pliskin

Pliskin New Member

United States
    Map
    Welcome aboard.

I'm another one that will give the vote to you and your son taking the course together. Not doubting your abilities, but I got kids of my own as well (youngest is 20), and sometimes they just "listen better" when its coming from a stranger.

Something you'll have to consider - upgrading your suspension. The VFR always had weak suspension. You got me by about 100 pounds, and I know how the stock suspension felt to me. You'll probably need to crank the adjustments down to begin with, but just keep in mind you'd really benefit from a suspension upgrade (in comfort, handling, and safety).

Good luck and enjoy!

9. hightowermusic

hightowermusic New Member

We looked at several bike, but she just likes the looks of the scooter. She really likes the idea of adding the trike kit to the Honda Silverwing, My first choice was a Can Am Spider. She didn't seem to interested until she saw a few of them pass us on the freeway coming back from Seattle the other day. The white one stayed right next to us for a few minutes checking out the VFR we had in the trailer :) I am hoping that she will choose a Spider

[​IMG]

10. V4toTour

V4toTour New Member

United States
    Out of 3 wheel options, the Spyder is the way to go. Two wheels in the front will handle better than a normal trike. I sat on one at the dealer while I was waiting on the title for the '99. Super comfortable. And with that trailer you could pack for cross country trips.

11. duccmann

duccmann Member

United States
    Map
    I was working on a show probably about a half year ago and the coordinator pulled up riding one that looks exactly like that picture. He absolutely loves it . It was weird because it was dark and I couldn't figure out what was pulling up with the lights in my eyes.....sat on it and holy cow....it was comfy...
    Good luck...they have to be upper teen's. ...18K.....I just pulled that out of my ass.

12. REEK

REEK New Member

United States
    Map

I just got the wife a Can am earlier this year. She refuses to get back on 2 wheels but 3 seems ok with her. been taking road trips and long weekends all summer long. With the storage on her can am and my saddle bags, plenty of storage for a few days. and with all the electronics, abs, power steering, trac control, she feels it's pretty safe. Now if I can just get her to stop peeling out from every stop....