Anybody ever use "skype"?

Discussion in 'Anything Goes' started by eddievalleytrailer, Feb 29, 2008.

1. eddievalleytrailer

eddievalleytrailer Member

United States
    Map
    I found that www.skype.com will allow people to call one another for free on the net. I have used it to talk to my sister 500 miles away over the web for FREE!! A quick download and set-up, and I was on. Has anyone on here ever used it?:smash:

2. whynot?

whynot? New Member

use every day to call my broter and sisters in Europe. It also allows you to call ohones but that is a paid service. Sometime I connect the webcam to it and stil get good quality picture and sound. Love it , use it for about 3 years now...

3. eddievalleytrailer

eddievalleytrailer Member

United States
    Map
    I can't believe how well it works!!

4. SLOav8r

SLOav8r New Member

I use it quite a bit, being totally cell phone based, for any call I'm going to be on hold for a long time. Payed a few bucks for the year (I think $15) to be able to make unlimited calls to US numbers and apparently Canadia but don't have anyone to call there. Occasional computer to computer calls too, which sound great.

At work we've got a nifty little thing that ties one of our phone lines to a computer with skype on it. We can pick up and dial out, plus any of our customers that skype us rings to a normal phoneline.

5. jasonsmith

jasonsmith Member

Canada
    Map
    Yep, have used it lots. Mostly via headsets with the PC. I use Skype as well as iChat (mac). My iMac connects to my Motorola bluetooth headset, it's awesome. As long as whomever your speaking with has a good connection as well. Yet to try Skype phone myself. A friend used it quite a bit while he was all over. He would call my house phone from his Skype phone. The connection was always hit or miss. But super inexpensive for him.

6. powderrecon

powderrecon New Member

United States
    Map
    Skype rules. I pay the $3 per month, for unlimited calls to Canada and thru the US. Calling home to Australia is only 3cents per minute, or something crazy like that.

I also hook my bluetooth headset up to my mac. Works great.

7. Keager

Keager Member

United States
    Map
    for work

between techs..in the IT field from campus to campus locally. And a couple of other people that I know are on it as well. Never had issues...

8. Granny22

Granny22 New Member

We use it to talk to our daughter who is working in the Maldives half a world away. Quality can sometimes be a bit dodgy but hey, what do you want for free! Also able to hook up webcams so we can see each other as we talk. It's fantastic. Sometimes use it to call LD landlines too @ $0.025/min it's cheap.

9. FrankoQ

FrankoQ New Member

Skype rocks. Video quality is pretty good even for overseas calls.

10. pontiac_banshee

pontiac_banshee New Member

United States
    You guys do realize that most of your calls long distance or even in state calls go over the internet even if you are on ATT wired!!

I bought ViaVoice and it costs me about $11 a month for unlimited calling and the best part is they give you the SIP ID so I can set it up on any PC or laptop and use it where ever there is internet. When I leave home I transfer to a Smartphone software package on my laptop and get calls right at work.