Anyone regretted gutting the exaust?

Discussion in '6th Generation 2002-2013' started by Molsan, Nov 4, 2008.

1. someguy

someguy New Member

did a very tidy, no weld 'stage 2' cut, (technically not a gut) I'm very happy with the results, not the meaty V8 sound that the full gut guys describe, but a nice meaty rumble that basically disappears in the wind over about 50mph... Not sure the full on V8 sound would suit me on a 600 mile ride... I like the sound of mine very much now, no discernable gain in power (as expected) and no notable loss in power. Kept the steel tips in to protect a bit against water entry as i'm a rain or shine rider. Same fuel burn, with 51 mpg on the highway, same burn in the twisty's too. Would like to hear in person a full gut, before i take that step...
    highly recommended mod.

2. jondevos

jondevos New Member

I did do the gut on my 86 750 and found it gave it a nice tone. Since then I have put on a set of scorpion stainless steal twin cans and it sounds amazing. Best 200 I have spent on bike so far.

3. vegita65

vegita65 New Member

I gutted my exaust 2 months ago, I love it, I havnt welded the caps on yet,, Just screws the chrome endcap covers back on it for temp. sounds nasty and I love it.

Im going to be gutting the cat soon.

4. CandyRedRC46

CandyRedRC46 Member

United States
    Map
    i have almost a full gut on my stock cans. sawed off the end caps and removed the two pipes from the middle of each can. never welded the end caps back on, just screwed the covers back on.(no one can see the evidence, only I and you guys Know)

i loved the sound, but there just wasnt enough volume. great sound that dissapeared around 40-50 mph... i really liked how it sounded open header, but it was just too much. i felt like a jerk driving it any time the sun was down.

this weekend i installed the motads. i think i might be the only one on here with gutted cans and a motad header(i just cannot figure out which slip on to get, there are too many choices!). the sound is great! almost a perfect blend of open stock header and gutted cans only. it is a little louder, but i dont get the WTF is wrong with your bike look.

i think pretty soon i will be going with the two bros VALE and a power commander.