Attempted VF1000F2 resurrection

Discussion in '1st & 2nd Generation 1983-1989' started by Waylander, Jul 5, 2020.

1. Waylander

Waylander New Member

United Kingdom
    Map
    Hi

I have been on that Chinese site AliExpress, and bought a new set of carb insulators for $10 including post, wont be delivered till some time in 2022, even if they are total crap I have not wasted a lot of money,

genuine from the parts place with post is over £70 = $80, don't think it matters much if they are a bit softer then original,

2. Waylander

Waylander New Member

United Kingdom
    Map
    Hi all again

I have cleaned out the carbs again and made a little progress, idle is now quite smooth and seems to pull quite will 85% of the time to 5500 rpm and then the virtual rev limiter kicks in, you can keep it in 2nd gear and gentle add throttle and it will get to 7500 but feels and sounds horrid

It can also misfire quite randomly below 5000 rpm, there does not seem to be any pattern to this, I am now starting to wonder if I have a hall sensor or CDi unit issue, I also noticed the relay in the rubber boot just above the rectifier unit gets really hot, is this normal?

VF1000F2 in recovery mode

3. Diving Pete

Diving Pete Member

United Kingdom
    Map
    i suspect that ifs its in recovery mode (and it sounds like it is) then part replacement may be your only route.

but, this may get you thinking too about possible other causes (although unlikely)

One of my NC35's that I was riding to work last year suddenly went into recovery mode...
    It turned out afer a bit of head scratching that the rear brake light switch had partially melted on the exhaust due to bad routing (not an unknown problem)..
    This has the effect of blowing the fuse for the dash lights which then puts the CDI in recovery mode - lol..
    replace fuse - don't use rear brake - lol that got me home at normal warp speed..

4. Waylander

Waylander New Member

United Kingdom
    Map
    Hi

is this bike new enough for recovery mode?

not had a chance to get back to looking at the issue, still being slave driven to decorate

the statement above "VF1000F2 in recovery mode" was just a sort of comment to say its slowly coming back to life

5. Terry Smith

Terry Smith Member

New Zealand
    Map
    I don't think a relay should be getting hot; once closed, current should happily flow thorugh without excessive heat UNLESS the relay has corroded terminals; if that were the case the voltage passing through the relay will be reduced, and might lead to poor ignition. Can you jumper around the relay as a test, or replace it with another relay?

The recifier will definitely get hot as it dumps excess generated power as heat.

6. Waylander

Waylander New Member

United Kingdom
    Map
    I will get a picture of the offending article as I can’t find a description for it in the manual

Checked the battery charge voltage at 13.6v at 2500 rpm so the rectifier / regulator is working OK, I’m going to find some time tomorrow to have a good clean of the connectors for the CDi and coils, I don’t loose the Rev counter when it plays up,

So it could still be fuel and carb issues still

7. Diving Pete

Diving Pete Member

United Kingdom
    Map
    Its not recovery mode as you know it - its just if there is no power to the CDI then it will only rev to about 5500...
    So power to the CDI is what you need to look at first.

8. Waylander

Waylander New Member

United Kingdom
    Map
    That’s really helpful, so it’s a possible low voltage situation to the CDi

As I’m sure if it no power to it at all it would not even start,

I bought a huge bag of retro white plastic loom connectors from 2-10 pins so I think I will just replace the plug and socket

Already done that to the rectifier leads, as they were a bodged mess

Need to find a wiring diagram for it, electrics don’t worry me too much, just fitted cruise control to my other toy

[​IMG]

VF1000F2F, in bits

9. Waylander

Waylander New Member

United Kingdom
    Map
    Hi All

Well got some time today, checked out the plugs all a little on the rich side but not really sooty, checked the coils resistance values, all in spec, checked the pulse generators one was 476 the other 499, are they close enough to the manuals required 480 to be deemed as serviceable?

cleaned all the connections for the reg / rec and there are some signs of burning, replaced all the connections.

cleaned all the Cdi connections in both connectors, changed the main fuel filter for a new one and tested the fuel pump, all seems to be working well.

I will go out for a blast tomorrow and see if i have fixed any issues or I still have my 5500 rev limiter

10. squirrelman

squirrelman Member

United States
    Map

but, pete, i believe that no power to cdi box=no sparks at all in any part of the rev range.

11. Waylander

Waylander New Member

United Kingdom
    Map
    Ok so no real change, except for trying to ride up one of the back roads there is a steep hill, it almost did not make it, down to 2 cylinders just as I made the crest then slowly recovered

I am sure the fuel pump is not getting switched on, I think this as the fuel was low and climbing the hill was just too much demand

So how can I test that the fuel pump is being triggered or does it run all the time?

Need some help here as I’m not sure of the way the system works

And my red line on the flat is now about 6000

VF1000F2F, in bits

12. Captain 80s

Captain 80s Member

United States
    I've been replacing my now 35 year old fuel pumps with Mitsubishi units out of newer donor bikes. While the points can be serviced, the diaphragms are brittle and cracked. I would buy new ones by TourMax or K&L (also Mitsu), but I have too many bikes to retrofit, and they are not cheap. Don't bother with any other cheap eBay crap.

One of my bikes would almost die sitting in hot weather traffic, but now is perfect. Just a thought.

The pumps have a Fuel Cut Relay which only allows the pump to operate when being cranked or running for safety. The relays are known to fail, but typically fail completely. You can bypass for a test, the pump operates on pressure. I wire parallel switches on my bikes so I can prime the system after draining for storage and also get home WHEN the relay fails. Many people just eliminate it.

13. Waylander

Waylander New Member

United Kingdom
    Map
    Hi

Ok so reading around further it seems that the black and white need to be bridged with a switch, I mentioned that a really gets really hot, and it turns out it was the fuel pump cut off switch,

Funny you should throw the Mitsubishi name in the hat as I noticed the logo on the end of the fuel pump, with my power probe the pump runs to shut off pressure in less than 5 seconds, I measured the fuel out in 5 secs as well and that’s about 75-100 ml, no idea if that’s in spec as it’s not mentioned in the manual that I could see,

I will rig a bridge and retest as soon as I can, and that’s a no idea,

Next question is, a replacement for the genuine fuel filter, not one of those round ones sold on the bay of fleas, but a proper oval one with the 12mm necks, cos nearly £30 from David Silver is a bit much

14. Captain 80s

Captain 80s Member

United States
    Pay the money for an oval if you want, I haven't found a cheap source for OEM. I ditched those long ago with zero issues, I'm not paying that for a damn fuel filter. I even put a glass filter with replaceable elements in one of my 1000R as a test when I swapped out the pump with zero issues.

15. squirrelman

squirrelman Member

United States
    Map
    all the times u went into carbs, dija check/verify/reset float levels ?

16. Waylander

Waylander New Member

United Kingdom
    Map
    Yes I modified an old loyalty card and set them at 7.5mm

Got that idea from here somewhere

I will test the bike later in the week, got my grandson for the next two days

17. squirrelman

squirrelman Member

United States
    Map
    sorta like this ??

july2020 050.JPG

18. Waylander

Waylander New Member

United Kingdom
    Map
    Yup that’s it,
    Simple free solution, I like simple and free

19. squirrelman

squirrelman Member

United States
    Map
    not just free but cutting up a card can save hundreds, thousands of quid.

Terry Smith likes this.
  20. Waylander

Waylander New Member

United Kingdom
    Map
    I’m not allowed near working ones, the mrs would have my balls in a jar

I’m going to rob the CDi, fuel relay, pump, filter off my parts bike,

Change them over and see what happens, after I have tried it with the relay jumped