Australia fires - Oct 2013

Discussion in 'Australia & New Zealand' started by derstuka, Oct 22, 2013.

1. derstuka

derstuka Lord of the Wankers Staff Member

Map
    I heard about the massive fires and smoke in the land of Oz today. Best wishes for safety to all of our many aussie members and their families. I hope the fires get under control and you get some rain :rain: and cooler weather to help out soon.

Aussie fire news

2. Manwell

Manwell New Member

Map
    Thanks for your concern for us down here mate, luckily I'm nowhere near Sydney now. I know a few Helicopter operators there who would be working their asses off atm. This has happened around Sydney before, and it will probably keep on happening until they do some controlled burning before the hotter months. Need better fire breaks as well.

3. 34468 Randy

34468 Randy Secret Insider

Canada
    Map
    Yes for sure. Fires are devastating. With all that devastation, you wonder just how they pick up and carry on but like you guys in California and our people in the Interior, they do. Hopefully circumstances will keep damage and loss of life to the absolute minimum.

Take some time and offer thoughts for those fighting the fires. Hopefully we will not see a repeat of what happened earlier this year in Arizona.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2013
  4. John451

John451 Member

Australia
    Thanks. Luckly at the moment like most of Sydney I'm only affected by smoke and some fallout from the fires but there are many that are in trouble to the West of Sydney in the normally very picturesque Blue Mountains. Their main concern is some of the Fires look like joining together in what they are calling a Mega Fire front nearly 200 miles long.

[​IMG]

http://www.news.com.au/national/nsw...-its-destruction/story-fnii5s3x-1226743469519

5. derstuka

derstuka Lord of the Wankers Staff Member

Map
    We have had our share of massive fires in San Diego County over the last decade. The last two biggest ones (Cedar Fire 2003, Witchcreek 2007) were downright massive, and developed into huge firestorms. My ex boss lost his house, as did hundreds of people. It was very eery, as when I got up one morning (I lived near the coast) it looked like it was snowing but it was ashes, and the sky was hazy red. The fire was 40 miles away at this point. My truck was covered in a half-inch of ashes.....people were walking around with masks, work was cancelled, and the midday sky looked like it was the end of the world....sun was nowhere to be seen. It was pretty nuts. Fire got within about 5 miles of me as well, but it would have had to burn thru about 10,000 homes to get to me.

I was actually out on a ride when the 2007 fire was started. The winds were so strong, that it was probably the scariest ride home I have ever had on a bike. I was being blown everywhere. Little did I know (until I saw about 40 firetrucks headed to the mtns) that a huge fire was starting.

Anywho.....be safe mates. Maybe the man upstairs will turn on the faucet for you lads soon. :rain:

6. Scubalong

Scubalong Official Greeter?

United States
    Stay safe our Ausie friends, hope this crazy fire is going away soon. Our thought go out to you all.

7. squirrelman

squirrelman Member

United States
    Map
    Keep Kool, Mites !!:eagerness:

Any chances that inferno could move into Sydney proppa ??

8. pacemaker

pacemaker New Member

Map
    Fires in & around Sydney have happened before, but fark knows, its a bad year.

I live in Newcastle, a 100 or so clicks north & this is what the sky looked like a few days back.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. 34468 Randy

34468 Randy Secret Insider

Canada
    Map
    They need a half dozen or so of these over there. But of the four that were here I think there is only one in the world that is still operable. It doesn't need to land to fill up so the turn around time is great if there is a body of water nearby. I have heard said that a direct hit on a house will crush the house. I've seen one in action and it is quite the site. Mars1.jpg Mars2.jpg Mars3.jpg