Awesome new accessory switches – a review

Discussion in '8th Generation 2014-Present' started by headshrink, Sep 8, 2018.

1. headshrink

headshrink New Member

United States
    I recently installed some accessory switches from PMR Components to my 2014 VFR800/Deluxe. They can be customized for just about any kind of switch (single or double position, momentary, illuminated, etc.). What drew me to their switches, over cheaper options, was that they not only look classy, but they’ll EASILY fit on almost any bike. They just replace the front clamp on your clutch lever perch. They’re billet aluminum, so supper strong.

Let me slow down a bit. I’ve actually been buying these switches for a couple years, but when I bought my new-to-me VFR this year I thought I may have run into a problem. I’ve got the 8th Gen Deluxe version, which has that ugly Traction Control button bolted onto the clutch perch/clamp, which would be in the way. I don’t give up THAT easily, so I contacted PMR to ask them if they had a solution. They did! They were super helpful in helping me find a solution that I think is actually better than Honda’s original placement for the Trac Control switch.

If you’re interested in buying a barswitch with the relocation tab for the traction control switch, you may need to email PMR first, as I don’t think it’s currently listed on their webpage, at least not at the time of this review. Regardless of what you buy, let them know you heard about them on this forum so they continue to develop products for our bike!

Words are boring, and I tend to use too many. Now for some pictures!

[​IMG]
    I love switches!

Left = garage door - (momentary switch)
    Center = LED driving lights - (SPST)
    Right = Aux (ground trigger for PDM60 power distribution module) - (SPST)

Note: Trac Control switch is relocated to mounting tab at bottom of barswitch.

[​IMG]
    A peek at the mounting tab PMR Components designed for the Traction Control switch. The genius is in the simplicity. The switch is relocated from the top of the bar, to the bottom, and looks better too.

[​IMG]
    Looks clean!

[​IMG]
    The wires seem to disappear.

[​IMG]
    Quite the bundle of wires! I individually shrink-wrapped them for weather resistance & looks. They can be routed differently, but this is how I chose to do it.

[​IMG]
    Although I can't get a casual glance through the sight-glass anymore, it's easy enough to nudge the wires aside for a peek. I may clean this up a little more with some small black wire-ties.

BONUS PICTURE FROM MY OLD BIKE

[​IMG]
    Here’s an old picture I’m reposting from my CBR500r. Notice the thumb switch between the grip and pod. This is another PMR creation, which I used as the trigger for my garage door opener. I went with a 3-switch pod on the VFR instead of reusing the thumb switch again, because I have the heated grip controller already in that space.

After daily use for about three years, I’m also happy to report the color didn’t fade one bit!

Edit: Formatting, spelling, etc.

Samuel likes this.
  2. Samuel

Samuel Member

United States
    Map
    Looks cool! I would prefer it to have the back covered/sealed (having the wires run downwards inside the housing/unit)…