Back pain

Discussion in 'New Riders' started by djenkins, Apr 27, 2016.

1. Deckrat

Deckrat New Member

United States
    Map
    I had a pretty bad bout with some back pain Tuesday night after riding the bike to work and back. I'd like to think it wasn't the fault of the bike, as this has happened once before. If anything, I'd like to believe that riding will make my back stronger instead of the other way around.

2. duccmann

duccmann Member

United States
    Map
    Didn't read threw the whole thread BUT by my experience, stretching before your ride and be aware of your posture. Use your core and no slouching. If ya haven't got Heli bars, get them, really helped me a lot. Exercise your gut and back muscles as well.
    Good luck

Last edited: Apr 29, 2016
  3. Badbilly

Badbilly Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!

United States
    Seems like in even a bent over position with low bars there is little twisting of the back unless one is one of those who need to hang off on every curve and intersection.

4. whiteknuckles

whiteknuckles New Member

United States
    Map
    I'm a Physical Therapist and have treated many people with back pain complaints. Personally, I would seek out a PT who is a Certified Manual Therapist. They'll have the letters "CMT" listed in their professional title. I find it hard to give advice without actually looking at you, testing muscle length/strength. "Back pain" can come from many places, so a thorough physical exam is a must. I suffer from occasional back pain (like 95% of the population) and find it helpful to keep my legs stretched out, perform prone extensions regularly, use my transverse abdominis to stabilize my paraspinals and relieve fascial tension when in a flexed position, and move around a lot on the bike. I REALLY suggest you seek out a PT rather than ask for help on the interwebs, one on one care is the only way to go. Good luck and good health!

5. The Red

The Red New Member

United States
    Or... you could just take a couple aleve's and hit the road.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Last edited: Apr 29, 2016
  6. Badbilly

United States
    Like a whole bunch of anything with a brand name attached, there are several varieties of Alleve. Popping a couple of the ones containing a soporific ain't a very good idea. Ya might could nod off and hit the assend of a semi.

7. sunofwolf

sunofwolf New Member

United States
    BB you are a big fan of tolls, and of course lifting anything that is called work is not allowed to happen.:tongue2:
    I would bet part of the problem is that stock rear shock that stopped working 8 years ago.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2016
  8. duccmann

duccmann Member

United States
    Map
    Stfu idiot

9. sunofwolf

sunofwolf New Member

United States
    Helibars + lower pegs, Sport touring zero gravity windscreen, Sargent seat and last nitrogen filled DMR rear shock all help -quite a list. Also a free tip play with the air pressure- I refuse to run 36-42. I think that's way too high riding on the back roads and it does make the bike fall over real easy too. :nelson:

10. 34468 Randy

34468 Randy Secret Insider

Canada
    Map
    Ok. I know I am older. Maybe not so hip. But just what the fuck did he say here? Is there a new language developing here? Krikey. Some people's commandof the English language makes my spelling, and my compitence of the android device, appear to be expert.

11. Aimbot9000

Aimbot9000 New Member

United States
    Map
    So first it was all problems can be fixed with new spark plugs then his new chain was the cure all, then any problem anyone had was caused by chipmunks. Now I find out ive been wasting my money all these years on PT and gym membership for my back and knee issues when all I needed was a new shock?!? Wish the neurosurgeon mentioned that option...

SOW, go hug a tree..... at 60mph

12. sunofwolf

sunofwolf New Member

United States
    you know if your rear shock doesn't work-the rider becomes the shock. Same thing happens with my car after about two years- the shocks fail too work. Very cold temp do strange things to shocks. the roads are very bad here do to lack of dough to fix them

13. duccmann

duccmann Member

United States
    Map
    Good goin Homer...Doh

14. Aimbot9000

Aimbot9000 New Member

United States
    Map
    Strange things like magically sucking the nitrogen out or strange things like physics?

15. Jeff_Barrett

Jeff_Barrett Member

Canada
    Map
    Must be a full moon .... I always wonder if his mother crawled out from under the porch and bit him as a child ...

16. Badbilly

United States

Zzzzzzzzz

17. sunofwolf

sunofwolf New Member

United States
    back pain=duccman, BB:bluesbros: E=mc squared, albert Einstein made up phony symbol's that were mean less, apple produces the biggest time waster in the world, Ca is short for Nut cake.:banana:

18. Aimbot9000

Aimbot9000 New Member

United States
    Map
    Apple produced SOW? I knew there was a reason I disliked that company so much.

19. Jeff_Barrett

Jeff_Barrett Member

Canada
    Map
    The only back pain SOW gets is when he throws his chaps on around his Hardley Dudes and gets mounted.

20. James Bond

James Bond Member

United States
    Map
    Having been through all of this myself, I would strongly suggest to you that your motorcycle is NOT the real cause of your back pain. Your motorcycle triggers your back pain due to your physiological and muscular state. That is, likely your CORE body/muscle strength is weak and THAT is the cause of your back pain. When it comes to your back, many many muscles come together to support your back and body. If you go to a competent physical therapist (very hard to find one) they will likely tell you the same thing and tell you how to strengthen your CORE muscles. Weight lifting won't do it though light weight lifting makes everything easier and it does help reduce pain in general. I work on strengthening my core muscles by learning through physical therapy and it works. The older we get the weaker our core muscles get unless you're doing something to prevent that. Try exploring that avenue.