Back pain

Discussion in 'New Riders' started by djenkins, Apr 27, 2016.

1. 34468 Randy

34468 Randy Secret Insider

Canada
    Map
    I have been to quite a few physio therapists. I can honestly say there have been none that I thought were lacking in competence. What I do find though is that they are working generally for a larger business that places far too much demand on their time. What this does, is it makes it necessary for one practitioner to deal with a few clients at the same time. They show their clients the different stretching and strengthening exercises but then are required elsewhere and do not spend enough time to ensure the client is doing the exercise correctly. This is huge in proper recovery.

After my last surgery, (temporary paralysis happened leading up to this) I was fortunate enough to go see a kinesiologist who specialized in rehab from sport injuries. I saw him one on one, and hour a day, three days a week for a year. Now that is really expensive but I was covered at public expense due to this being a duty related injury....several time actually. He was a stickler about form and watched very close. His doing this and correcting me, resulted in my form being right on the money even after my visits with him stopped. He had me more flexible that I have ever been in my life. Still couldn't touch my toes, but came close. He also had me in better physical shape than I had ever been including after 6 months of torture in boot camp.

Most of what he had me doing would be considered yoga. The most weight I used was 5 pound dumbbells or a weighted bar, maybe 10 pounds. Because of technique, I had a burn in muscles, including legs, that I had never experienced. At that time, I had been an avid cyclist for something like 17 years. But I still got the burn in the thighs like I have never had.

So to harp on what others have said here, exercise and stretching are probably the absolute best way to deal with back pain when riding long distances. Obviously, consultation with a doctor at the onset of back pain is critical. Last thing you want to do is create a worsening situation on an improperly diagnosed back injury

2. Badbilly

Badbilly Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!

United States
    SOW is a PITA. Lowest back pain?

3. MichelRC36

MichelRC36 New Member

Map
    I've had two lower back hernias for decades ! Riding a custom bike lights up the fire in my lower back after 30 minutes due to the added pressure of the "feet forward" position....Riding a sport touring bike is the best for me, I can run 8 hours in a day and walk straight as if nothing happened ! It even beats any car !