Banning questions.

Discussion in 'Suggestion Box' started by VFR-Guy2000, Jun 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lgn001

Lgn001 Member

United States
    Map
    And ultimately, it is better to be banned than banished... I think.

2. RVFR

RVFR Member

United States
    Map
    Hell I was banned from VFRD does that count for anything? And yet I'm still loved here

3. koggs

koggs New Member

:croc: ...don't mind me, I'm just post whoring this evening.:banplease::vfrshorty:

4. speed

speed New Member

United States
    Map
    My personal feelings,
    I personally think the whole ( Getting Banned thing ) just sucks !!! I know that I don’t own this site nor in any way have anything to do with running it. Ya know I joined on September 2006, I really have enjoyed getting all kinds of information about my motorcycles and riding and posting back and forth and even chatting with a good bunch of folks and I might add, I am a member of many other motorcycle sites however, I really like the folks on this site, its in some way like a family and fellowship.

I know that I don’t spell very good sometimes but I spell check every word that I write on this site because I don’t want to offend anyone or look stupid. There has been a time where I have been ready to jump a plain and kick some butt due to someone f--king with me over my spelling like I don’t know that there is a problem, and I know that would not be a good thing or idea. .im so tired of hearing any thing about being banned or all the PM’s from Jason, Michael and shorty and don’t get me wrong I have all the respect in the world for all of you and your jobs you do on VFRworld, and Michael you have a awesome site you have done a great job, its something to be proud of. And yes I want to comply with the rules 100%.

I do not know Mike Warren a.k.a. birddseedd etc. I have no ties with him, but for some reason he has to email me non stop and I don’t want to be a message boy. Now i do like to joke around and cut up kidd and just have a good time, I try to be friends with everyone unless there’s a reason not to be. But folks move on with life !! Your letting this whole thing get to you and its bring VFRworld down. Block his IP address ? Report him to the internet police ? call superman ?

I don’t enjoying coming online any more this sucks, I am a father of seven kids, I have a wife, and I work two jobs, just a normal guy but today I come on and enter the chat room and the chatter is about banning me ? Well this is not fun anymore ..... if that’s what needs to be done then do it and get it over with !! Im not birddseedd I have a life and don’t need this crap in my life !!

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 10, 2008
  5. Alaskan

Alaskan Member

United States
    Map
    How to get banned? Act like a 19 year-old know-it-all asshat! Nobody here like that, though . . .

6. ZonaMan

ZonaMan New Member

Same here. This is the first time I've ever even heard of this here - one of the reasons I like coming here vs. VFRD. Waaay more laid back. Over there, the mods and admin. throw around the "I'll ban you if......." BS like it's f'n going out of style.

Like my avatar? There it lasted a week- amazingly. Haven't gotten one word about it here either pro or con. The way I figure it, we're all adults here, and if you are easily offended that's your problem not mine. They don't even tolerate swearing :censored: - Sorry, didn't know I was on the Christian VFR forum. :tongue:

Nonetheless, I have met great people from both and have learned to bite my tongue there and can be a little more edgy here.

Please don't :ban: my avatar. It's all for fun. I actually like OS bobbers!

7. koggs

koggs New Member

I talked with Bird Seed and his wife about their life problems and truly believe that they are genuine and my heart goes out to that family. At the same time I can understand the Admin's request to keep a topic such as that to an email or one of those IM's. (I mean, it is really heart-wrenching to see such tragedy spoke of and therefore can understand the need to keep it on a more personal level. Now having said that, I see nothing wrong with starting a prayer request thread either) Actually, his wife even suggested that we take the conversation to an AOL IM when we spoke here last. Personally, I can't stand anything from AOL so I got their email and sent one out. :typing:

Now if someone is asked not to do something and continues to do it, that becomes very annoying. I can relate that to online racing ...you're involved in some really good racing with a couple of guys for the lead when all of a sudden some dude decides he's going to run the track backwards and take out as many as he can. Even if collisions are turned off it is very annoying. ...when we get back to the chat room he receives a warning if collisions were off, and a prompt 'boot to the head' if they were on. It's just not a cool thing to do. Therefore if anyone receives warnings not to do something and continues to do them then I say ...spare not the rod from thy backside.
    just my 2 cents werth :senor:

8. michael

michael Administrator Staff Member

United States
    Map
    I'm just going to say a few words about this thread, and then I'm going to close it.

As most of you hopefully have noticed, I and the exceptional moderators of VFRworld work hard to make the site fun, informative, and interesting. As mentioned throughout this thread, it's extremely rare for anyone to be asked to leave VFRworld, and it's also rare for us to remove or modify posts that people make. Our motto is to let people speak their mind, until they reach a certain line that could become offensive to others.

Where is that line? It's not something that I can document. I read in this thread "you know it when you see it", and I agree with that. I'm not a believer in coming up with a specific list of "VFRworld Rules & Regulations". In my experience, that sometimes encourages a very small number of folks to push the limits to see what they can get away with. Why? I have no idea.

I know that other forums have a well documented list of "not to do's", and if you break those rules, you are gone. I prefer to assume that our users are adults, and mature enough to use common sense to dictate our actions.

Typically, when someone goes beyond the line, we will warn the person, and then we all move on. Occassionally, they don't heed the warning, and we need to take further action. It has happened so rarely during VFRworld's existence that I can probably count the users on one hand. I think we've done an exceptional job of creating an online environment that is friendly, interesting, and fun - with a bit of occassional healthy debate thrown into the mix.

There are some obvious rules that, in my opinion, should be common sense. Don't post offensive photos, for example. If you recall the Motivational thread, there were several photos posted that were definitely offensive. Did we ban those users? Of course not, we simply removed the offensive material. Sometimes, all of us get carried away with a topic, and we don't always use our best judgment. Another obvious one should be creating multiple accounts and pretending to be multiple people. It's disrespectful and not in the spirit of open, honest sharing of information.

That being said, this is a motorcycle-related site. Are there going to be photos of umbrella girls? Of course. Might there be a few users who take offense? Possibly, but obviously you can't please everyone. The moderators of VFRworld simply do their best to make judgment calls. Are we perfect? Of course not.

I agree 100% with Speed - let's end this discussion and stop taking it all so seriously. VFRworld is simply meant to be a fun, informative place to hangout online. The last thing we need is more drama, for me that defeats the purpose that I run VFRworld - as an enjoyable hobby.

We don't intend on posting rules, we just expect you to use common sense. If you have a question, feel free to PM one of the moderators, we're happy to help.

Lastly, a huge thanks to those who go above and beyond to help us keep this place under control and fun: Reg71, WhiteKnight, Derstuka, and our Chat Coordinator, VFRShorty.