Beating a dead horse - Engine RPM. Sorry.

Discussion in '6th Generation 2002-2013' started by xeipher, Apr 3, 2009.

1. xeipher

xeipher New Member

Hi,

Based on different threads in the forum, understand that our VFRs are pretty high revving bikes. The bike itself likes to run at a high revs. So then here is my question,

Easy Riding - Don't feel like getting a ticket today :)
    Highway - 75mph - What would your rpm be?
    In town - 50-60mph - What would your rpm be?

With the above constraint do you ever hit 6th gear?

Bear with me cos my previous bike was a cruiser, so my tendency is to lower the revs as I ride. The above would help me and reassure me that I am doing things right.

Xeipher.

2. mello dude

mello dude Administrator

United States
    Map
    Hi Xeipher,
    Yeah, the viffer is way different from a cruiser and needs to keep revs up to keep the engine happy.

I cant answer your questions specifically but I'll try to help. My bike is a 5th gen but the 6th should be simular.

In town taking off from a light and taking it easy I shift at about 4500 - 5000 from 1st gear to 2nd to 3rd. I generally use 4th as the around town gear about 45 - 50 mph and below. The zone 45 - 70 is mostly 5th gear for me and 6th is strictly a fast highway gear. Sure there can be some overlap, but this should be a good rule of thumb stuff to start out.

As you get to know your bike better, you can tune in a get a better feel of whats good for your particular bike. The most common mistake of riders coming from cruisers is that they tend to under rev the viffers at the lower speeds. I would say keep the revs over about 4200. Practice so you dont do that, it can effect the health of your engine.

Good luck! BTW - Welcome to VFRworld!

MD

3. xeipher

xeipher New Member

Cool. Will do. I have another question. Keeping RPM above 4200 on a cold engine is ok right? The temperature is generally around 105F if I start the bike throw all my gear on, and finally move the bike.

Xeipher.

4. mello dude

mello dude Administrator

United States
    Map
    Dont force it when its cold. Let the engine warm up a little more before you move and then ease into gears till it warms up good. I useually am running thru my plat in 2nd or 3rd gear and get a few miles down before I do anything crazy.

MD

5. CdnVffer

CdnVffer New Member

Ya I hit 6th gear when I can especially on a long trip, that's why we all own the ultimate sport touring machine on the planet!!!!

Cheers...

6. xeipher

xeipher New Member

Amen to CdnVffer