Beginning Bike recommendations?

Discussion in 'New Riders' started by jenkins, Dec 4, 2006.

1. DANIMAL

DANIMAL New Member

C'mon guys,
    you are right but he's a kid. don't you guys remember what it was like. always having to wait. it sucks. I did not want to hear people telling me "Get a job"
    I had a paper route. i used my bicycle to deliver those papers. I bought a Honda XL125 with money from the paper route and lawns I cut.
    I loved that bike it was street legal and was a helluva dirtbike. Almost killed myself several times on it. Every trip was an adventure. but anything worth having is worth working for. so my advice is "Get a job, any job that pays you is more than you have now. I know it sucks but thats life

2. Ferris

Ferris New Member

Jenkins, how about this: get a job at a motorcycle shop. My first job was pulling parts at a cycle salvage yard.

They weren't hiring when I went there, but I just kept bugging them. Offered to sweep the floor, take out the trash, go get lunch, anything. Eventually, they got used to seeing me everyday, and actually started relying on me a little bit.

Soon enough, the owner took me on, when he realized I would basically be his do anything servant who didn't want a paycheck. He allowed me to work to pay off the DT125 Yamaha I wanted more than air to breathe.

Turned out to be the beginning of a career. You never know...

3. jenkins

jenkins New Member

I wasn't trying to come off as some kind of lazy teenager. I am, but honestly I have been trying to get a job. As I actually said in the post "I am having a hard time" I wasn't asking for free money, but I thought maybe someone had a decent idea of how to go about making extra. Most of the jobs are taken because of teenagers like myself, but I have been constantly looking.

4. KC-10 FE

KC-10 FE New Member

Hey Jenkins, don't listen to the old guys with attitude problems. They're just mad because they are in fact old or some other such nonsense. They aren't in your shoes so who cares what they think. At least you have enough sense to ask for advice instead of running out & buying a GSXR1000 as a first bike.

So, back to topic... For a first bike, I recommed one with no fairing at all. Look for a Suzuki GS500. Once they leave the show room floor their value goes thru the toilet. You should be able to find one with extremely low miles for about $1000.

Another wise choice for beginners is the Ducati Monster 620. Most people that buy them "outgrow" them in short order so they get rid of them within a year or two. You should be able to get a 5 or 6 year old example for well under $2000.

If you can find one in good condition for a decent price, I can give a enthusiastic recomendation for the 89-91 Honda Hawk.

If all else fails, get a 4 cylinder UJM and ride it till it falls apart. By then, you'll have the experience to get a new/newer bike.

Since you said you live in a small town, EBAY will be your best best.

KC-10 FE out...
    :plane:

5. SFPA

SFPA New Member

Map
    Dude, WTF??? He's asking for info, not a handout....

I'd start on E-bay, Like our Flight Engineer has already recommended and go from there. There are certainly other places on the net to look as well. Various sites devoted to smaller bikes. There are always people trying to dump their bikes for a bigger/better model, and webpages like this one will have a "classifieds" area to check out.

Best 'O luck, Jenkins.

6. Legs

Legs New Member

Map
    SInce you're probably computer saavy, Grisoft, AdAware. and Clean Up offer free software to private users. Offer any computer challenged people that you know to set up security for their computers for $100.00. You can find links for these programs at PCWorld's homepage. You can round up a couple of grand pretty quick. It only takes 2-3 hours for each computer and your only cost is your time. Your friends, their moms, or family members are a good place to start.

A good trial one would be on your own home computer.

My father's rule was that I could have any bike that I could afford, but don't expect any help from him. Financial independence is a good thing! Some of these dweebs that have only worked for Uncle Sugar have no idea how free enterprise really works!

Last edited: Dec 20, 2006
  7. KC-10 FE

KC-10 FE New Member

It's a shame you're in Missouri. Right now, on the base re-sale lot, there is a 1999 Ninja 250 for exactly $1000. It's been completely repainted & has not a single decal on it. This leads me to believe that this vehicle has been wrecked & ghetto repaired via a Rustoleum shower. It's now sporting a yellow & purple color scheme.:puke: In other words, a good choice for a beginners bike. For that price, it won't last.

KC-10 FE out...

8. jenkins

jenkins New Member

Sorry. I tried to reply yesterday, but something was wrong with my internet. Anyway, thanks a bunch for the advice. My friends and I had been considering working on computers, but I hadn't thought of anything as easy as basic protection. That should help me out a bunch if I find some people.

9. Legs

Legs New Member

Map
    Jenkins, I've been dumb enough to do it free. Get AdAware,Grisoft AVG, and Clean-Up form PC World site, download and install to your computer.
    CleanUp flushes shit out of temp file and AVG can easily be configured to run onschedule, suggest that they run and upgrade AdAware every few days, use cleanup everytime you log out. they'll think that you're a genius. Ask everyone that you know, at $100, you should get a 3 out of ten users that you ask. Good luck!

Teach a man to fish! Otherwise, he'll be a whining lightweight like some of the posters opining above! Good luck! e-mail me at legs@thunderroadsalabama.com for elaboration.

10. reg71

reg71 Poser Staff Member

United States
    Map
    take a look here... maybe these are close enough to you to get someone to take you to see... Keep in mind, in missouri, the listed price is 'it would be great if someone actually paid this much' price, but they will usually take less. also ask around with friends and family about bikes that are left in the garage somewhere that you could get real cheap. i have gotten at least one bike free for cleaning out a garage and another I got for the trade of a helmet. sometimes people just want to get rid of them. esp this time of year...

http://kansascity.craigslist.org/mcy/252328107.html

http://kansascity.craigslist.org/mcy/251402000.html

http://kansascity.craigslist.org/mcy/250356986.html

http://kansascity.craigslist.org/mcy/248463797.html

11. SFPA

SFPA New Member

Map
    Hey, here's an opinion....calling out curmudgeonry does not constitute "whining."

Meeeeeerrrrrry Christmas!!!

12. jenkins

jenkins New Member

Is there anything bigger?

I can go over 250cc on the bike, and I would like to since the ninja 250 looks so small. I'm a pretty average guy at 150lbs and 5'10 -5'11 and the ninja 250 just doesn't seem the right size. I don't care how fast it goes, and I am just learning, but I would like something that at least fits me alright.

13. jarhead777

jarhead777 New Member

I've always been a lawn care warrior, but I guess you'd have to wait for the spring. You can make some decent money cutting grass after school and on weekends.

14. jarhead777

jarhead777 New Member

I also agree on the ninja 250. My dad is 6' 190lb and he's put about 8k on one, I'm a little shorter (5'9") and have put a couple thousand on one. It is just a wonderful bike because it is light, stable at highway speeds, fast for a small bike (110 at your weight) and super smooth engine and tranny. Brakes are decent and great for learning. Dad still has one my 17 y/o brother is learning on.

15. Florida

Florida New Member

Map
  16. Refalova

Refalova New Member

Map
    You guys are making me nervous here:confused: My FIRST bike is a 98 VFR800fi. I'm 6'2" / 230lbs, and the VFR was the only bike that did'nt feel small to me. I tried sitting on a 250 ninja and it looked like a monkey effn a football:biggrin: and was not very comfortable to me. I've never rode a streetbike in my life, but i do plan on taking as many training class as i can. I think the best think to do, is shop around and buy what feels comfortable to you. Whatever you decide, good luck and ride safe.:cool:

17. KC-10 FE

KC-10 FE New Member

There is absolutely nothing wrong with a VFR as a first bike IF (& this is a BBBIIIGGG IF) you have the presence of mind and maturity to realize that you ARE NOT on a beginners bike. I went from a 38HP bike to a 100HP bike. I had no problem since I don't squid at all. If you know what you're getting yourself into, you can absolutely ride a VFR as a first bike. Just remember this, VFR are expensive, their parts are expensive, their plastics are expensive. It really isn't a good choice unless you realize these facts.

I'm sure somewhere out there, someone has never crashed, for the rest of us, there are 2 types:

Those that have...

&

Those that will...

KC-10 FE out...

18. reg71

reg71 Poser Staff Member

United States
    Map
    I've thought about that a lot, and I think there are 3 types, those two above, then ones like me who have crashed and will crash again! <ouch>

19. KC-10 FE

KC-10 FE New Member

Don't worry, now you got it outta your system for a decade or so.:fear:

KC-10 FE out...

20. bpw40

bpw40 New Member

hello

first post here, may be buying a vfr tommorow, but to the topic at hand, I leaned on a 1972 honda cb350, fast enough for the highway, doesnt have any fairings to break when you dump it and only cost $300, not an unusual price for these bikes. Kinda wish I still had it actually as was great for kicking around town.

Ben