Best 6th Gen tires???

Discussion in '6th Generation 2002-2013' started by eightangrybears, Nov 7, 2011.

1. 34468 Randy

34468 Randy Secret Insider

Canada
    Map
    Dunlops times 2 (Both crap) ...PR2 times 2 (really liked these).., and presently on PR3's (Like these too but when I bought them they were considerabley more expensive that the 2's. And I did not notice any inprovement on wet roads like they claim) When they are done, it is back to the PR2's. My riding is year round, lots of rain and lots of freeway. (Lots of people looking at me funny like when it is below freezing too) But nothing works worth a shit in the snow. I know this.

2. eightangrybears

eightangrybears New Member

Awesome. Cuz I just bought the PR2s. Do you ride in the snow, too? Do you stud your own tires or buy pre-studded ones?

3. VFRGeek

VFRGeek New Member

Map
    2 answers, depends on budget. For good all around tires the PR3's are hard to beat. For cheap tires check out the Conti Motions. You said you did not knee drag, so a good cheap single compound tire should be fine.

4. gmajnkek

gmajnkek New Member

I have Dunlop RoadSmart on my bike. I really like them, the bike is running really nice in each turn and i am sanding screws in almost each nice curve. (sorry for my bad english)

5. John451

John451 Member

Australia
    Just curious, what is meant by " sanding screws " My best guess is hanging off and sparking " knee sliders " ?

6. JSzczesniak

JSzczesniak New Member

But wait - my opinion on tires is so much more right than anyone else's..... J/K glad you figured it out and hope you enjoy your tires. I'm sure you will be a Michelin fan moving forward..... on to more tire threads. I may start one just to upset the powers that be.....

7. John451

John451 Member

Australia
    I'm sure you'll like them.

A mate recently went back to R2s on his new Gixxer1000 after the OEM BT-16s wore out, he'd worn through several sets of R2s on his previous '04 'blade and been happier with their mileage and wet weather performance yet satisfied with the R2s good level of cornering grip in the dry.

8. gmajnkek

gmajnkek New Member

Hm i cant find the right words for this and google translate helped me with this "sandind"... No no, knee sliders are the same, but the screws are getting smaller.

9. Alaskan

Alaskan Member

United States
    Map
    Pilot Road 3s are working out very well for me . . .

10. jspeed

jspeed New Member

michelin power pilots have never let me down.

11. robr32

robr32 New Member

12. rcompton

rcompton New Member

I have been commuting on the Michelin pr3's. I have a little over 11,000 miles on them so far and they are getting close to the wear bars. Should get 12,000 out of them before I need new ones. They have been great tires in all weather conditions. I don't know if they are the best but I would buy them again. Good luck to you.

13. DaHose

DaHose New Member

United States
    Map
    I almost bought into those Conti's myself. Ended up going with Dunlop Q2's. Lower mileage tire, but I don't tour and maximum traction is my goal. Here in Ca., we have pretty good weather year round as well.

Mind you that Cycle Gear currently has a sale going on an F/R set of Bridgestone BT016 Battlax tires for $209. I see some really positive reviews on these.

14. rcompton

rcompton New Member

Ahhh California, miss the back roads, weather and food.

15. Alaskan

Alaskan Member

United States
    Map
    12,000 miles? On a single set of tires?

EDIT: Ah, you are commuting on them. Ok!

16. emon07

emon07 New Member

United States
    Map
    Nice Post. Quite a few people I know locally who ride love the Michelin PR2. I spent most of 2011 recovering from a stroke and three bypass operations on my leg. Trying to get my 05 and 2K VFRs ready for next season. I have been using the Dunlop RoadSmart tires since they were released and I am curious how they stack up compared to the Michelin PR2s.

17. Rollin_Again

Rollin_Again Member

United States
    I'm guess that "Sanding the Screws" means that he is scraping his peg feelers.

My last 3 sets of tires were Pilot Road 2CT's and I just made the switch to Pilot Power 2CT's and I am blown away by the difference. They won't last as long as the Pilot Roads but they feel much stickier and are easier to turn in.

Rollin

18. John451

John451 Member

Australia
    A friend has just gone to Dunlop SportSmarts on his K1300S which he rates far better than its previous OEM Sport Attack 2s or even the BT16s & Q2s he'd had on his Gixxer1000.

Re Road Was reading in latest UK BiKE Mag the one where the VFR750/800 won the title as the Worlds best ever "All Rounder" :cool: not only do they confirm the Dunlop RoadSmart 2 is longer wearing and better in the wet than the old Roadsmart 1 the RoadSmart 2 is also the better choice for Sports Riding when compared to the Road 3s. They still rate the Road 3s Wet weather performance and overall comfort better but it's now closer.

19. NCVFRRider

NCVFRRider New Member

Map
    Okay, I'm a 5th gen rider who's just doing some checking because of all of the new tires on the market. I'm stunned that the only mention of Bridgestone is the BT-016, which B'stone markets as a Hyper Sport (track use) tire. I know guys that haven't gotten over 4k out of a set! I've just worn out a rear BT-023 in 8500 miles (heavy freeway commuter use, large rider, much time two up on weekends), but the front has nearly 14000 miles.
    Angel ST is getting decent feedback from guys I sell tires to (I managa a small shop), but I'm not able to justify nearly $75 difference for the Angels or over $100 more for PR3s. RoadSmart 2s have interest, but still pricey.
    The Conti Motion, by the way, is a multi-compound tire, but is SINGLE ply! Yikes!!

* CORRECTION: the Conti motion rear is a single ply of steel belt plus two of nylon. And I decided to give it a run anyway... At least they are cheap & it's winter anyway!

Last edited: Jan 11, 2012
  20. Keager

Keager Member

United States
    Map
    I've ran the CT2's for a couple of years, and they are not worn out, but they are not the tire for me on this bike. Don't get me wrong, they handle great, but they were always needing air, which I didn't always do. Or pay attention to. Between the weight of the bike, and me, they are ruined. They would be OK if you rode down a brick road, but not paved.