Best Chain Lube

Discussion in '5th Generation 1998-2001' started by warchild, Jul 22, 2006.

1. Jarvis

Jarvis New Member

United States
    Map
    I am a convert to the Dupont Multilube product. 23,000 miles on my 2009 DL650 chain so far and it is holding up well - plenty of life left in it. I have a new chain on my 1995 VFR (~3000 miles) and will see how long that one last with the product.

2. VFRod

VFRod New Member

I use Maxium too & find it great stuff. Used the Belray but hated the look of the white crap all over the chain....just found it looked "messy". Usually initially clean by running the chain through a dry rag straight after a run as well as wiping the rear sprocket. Finish with a bit of WD40 on a rag. Then lube away.

3. 34468 Randy

34468 Randy Secret Insider

Canada
    Map
    I used PJ1 for a few years but have now switched to some Dupont stuff in a yellow can. The PJ1 was good stuff but I too found it made a mess. That new Dupont stuff has zero fling. Spray it on the warm chan and it sets up very fast. Unfortunately we can't get it in Canada so I have to jump on the bike and ride down to Washington State to get some. Somethings in life really suck

4. bobthebiker

bobthebiker New Member

This is what I've been using lately. its some VERY nice stuff. zero fling, goes on clean so no cleanup needed later, seems to actually clean as it lubes. I'm thrilled and SOLD on it.

5. Fazer1Sniper

Fazer1Sniper New Member

The hell with all of you! Vulture Blood from the Tree Of WOE! 'nuff said.
    [​IMG]

6. creaky

creaky New Member

United States
    Randy...........is this the stuff you are referencing? I've been using this most of this year, sold on it.

Attached Files:

7. 34468 Randy

Canada
    Map
    That's the stuff. I love it so much I bought some for my wife for our 25th wedding anniversary instead of a new ring.

8. metallyguitarded

metallyguitarded New Member

Map
    I wonder what the record is for reviving the oldest thread on this forum? Funny that this one died in October of 2006 then was miraculously brought back to life four and a half years later! Not that I mind. The best chain lube, I suppose, is a never ending discussion. Personally, I use and like the Bel Ray stuff and don't mind the white. I'm up for trying some of the other stuff too so I appreciate everyone's posts.

9. nismo350zed

nismo350zed New Member

Chain Wax

Anyone else use chain Wax instead? seems to stay on the chain very well, with minimum fly off...

10. V-Force

V-Force New Member

Been using Maxima Chain Wax for a few years now and I love it. Sticks to the chain, doesn't splash everywhere, and last long.

11. 34468 Randy

Canada
    Map
    Fair enough. But new products come out from time to time that would seem to justify bringing such a thread back to life. Otherwise how would all of you be in a position to benefit from my great wisdom when I discover a product that in my humble opinion, is far superior to any of that crap you commoners use?

12. metallyguitarded

metallyguitarded New Member

Map
    Point well taken. What does your great wisdom say about the vulture blood that at least one VFRW member uses? I think it's worth a try.

13. 34468 Randy

Canada
    Map
    I think he is suffering the after effects of too much paint fumes.

14. Flynpzmn67

Flynpzmn67 New Member

I was hoping to see if anyone had tried that amsoil MP chain spray. I use Amsoil oil, was wondering about that MP spray. Anyone?

15. FJ12rydertoo

FJ12rydertoo Member

United States
    Map
    70-140 synthetic gear oil applied by my HawkeOiler:
    [​IMG]

16. Keager

Keager Member

United States
    Map
    what is this chain cleaning you speak of? lube? hunh?

I've heard using kerosene for cleaning, as it's got a natural lube to it, but that was from my uncle that never used the o-ring chains, so I don't know what it would do to it.

17. CRFan1

CRFan1 New Member

United States
    Map
    Been using Silkolene Pro Chain lube for years on both dirt bikes and Street and it is great stuff. Stays on the chain....never any issues.

18. OOTV

OOTV Insider

Decades ago they did a chain lube comparison in one of the off-road magazines I subscribed to and I believe that PJ1 was the over all winner back then too, but since I don't have the magazine anymore I have nothing to substantiate this claim, other than ever since then, I always used PJ1. They also showed that WD-40 was one of the worst to use as a main lubricant as its lubricating properties broke down due to the amount of heat generated by the chain and actually made the chain hotter! However, it was said that after washing your bike and therefore chain, it is a good idea to use WD-40 to help, get this...with Water Displacement, wipe the WD-40 off the chain and then use chain lube of your choice. That being said, I've seen guys lube their chains at the outer edge of the chain where it really doesn't do much but fly off. It is best to lube the inner part that comes in contact with the sprocket so that centrifugal forces actually help it penetrate into the links and not just fly off onto your rims and engine. Lubing both sides wouldn't hurt but it's the inside that really needs to get coated and definitely wipe off the excess from the outer part or the fore mentioned results are sure to follow.

I can half agree with the above statement of "...it is more important that you clean the chain and keep it lubed rather than what brand you use". Only if the lube is meant for items like motorcycle chains. As the example of the WD-40 over heating a chain can actually do more damage to it than you would expect and all along you thought your were doing your chain some good!

Cheers

19. Motographer

Motographer New Member

United States
    Map
    Another vote for PJ1 lube, stuff's great. I use a Grunge Brush dipped in kerosene to clean the chain and sprocket, works great, cheaper than dedicated cleaner, and comes in gallon jugs so I hardly ever run out. I haven't gotten around to using the little bottle of cleaner that came with my brush, but I'll try it one of these days.

20. wgash1

wgash1 New Member

Map
    Bit worried now with that pic flashing above my head, but l'v always used CRC lube on my chains and never had a problem, its cheap, don't throw off, and dirt won't stick to it......might ring an ambulance now