Best tires for the bike

Discussion in '6th Generation 2002-2013' started by Comicus, Jun 2, 2008.

1. scottyx42

scottyx42 New Member

Glenwood Springs, Co. (world's largest hot spring
    When I got my 02 this summer, it had roadsmart on the rear, and a semi rib on the front. I got rid of the rib because it was much rounder and flatter than the rear, (wouldn't track:frown:) and got front roadsmart. Much better. I haven't ridden on the track since the seventies, and there was lots to relearn and learn new. went through another set of roadsmarts, and then got pilot powers, and like them better. Either I'm getting it together better or they're better, but the ckicken strips are less than a little finger wide now.:eek: I do a 40 mile one way commute to Aspen until the snow hits, and then that's it till late march or april at the earliest. I'm wearing a flat spot on the rear, and plan on going road pilot 2 for the summer and the trips to all the Utah and Ariz national parks, and the 250 mile ride to go ride with my kid on his vtr 250 in the twisties in the Colo front range roads. I'd love to have really sticky tires, but there are limited places to use them. 3 months, 9k miles, plan about 15k next year, so road pilot 2s:biggrin:

2. Marrib

Marrib Insider

United States
    Map
    I had the mez4's until about two weeks ago. Got the bt016's on sale at cyclegear. So much better.

3. VIFFER RIDER

VIFFER RIDER New Member

United States
    Map
    They are great aren't they? I got mine a while back and still lovin it, they stick like glue in the corners!

4. bradleydadley

bradleydadley New Member

It appears any way you go, you'll do better than five year old OEM! Lots of twisty fun stuff on the island? My vote on the Michelin Pilot Power 2CTs. Not sure of the life you'll get if you ride aggressively, but the 2 compound tires are good stuff. I went from Dunlops Qualifiers to the Michelin PP Race on my track bike. The Mich had a taller radius. Turn in WAY quicker. The new Dunlop mirrors it and according to the test in the mags, supposed to be awesome. -One other thing, we talk about lean angles and twisties. I'm convinced these new tires saved my bacon in a blind corner a few weeks back with a stalled car. For safety alone, getting off the OEMs is a good thing.

DUNLOP: Dunlop TireSPORTMAX QUALIFIER
    Michelin: http://www.michelinmotorcycle.com/index.cfm?event=TireSelector