Bicycle Recommendations.

Discussion in 'Anything Goes' started by Arnzinator, Aug 6, 2014.

1. Arnzinator

Arnzinator New Member

United States
    Map
    I know we have some causal & avid bicyclist here, so I'm seeking your insight. I've been thinking about picking up a bike for a while now. I'm getting sick of cardio machines in the gym. The bike would be primarily for road use with some limited trail riding. When I say trail I'm referring to a well groomed bike trail. So a dedicated road bike is out & a mountain bike would be overkill. So a "fitness" or "hybrid" bike is the direction I'm leaning to. Any brand recommendations? Brands to avoid? Definitely not buying from a big box store. Budget isn't a big deal. I'd rather spend a little money & get a quality ride ($750 ish). My last bikes were both Cannondale's. Gear recommendations are also greatly appreciated.

2. tinkerinWstuff

tinkerinWstuff Administrator Staff Member

United States
    Map
    My problem with maintaining a fitness plan was that I get bored wasting time in the basement gym. I need to feel like I'm accomplishing something meaningful and productive.

So I went looking at road bikes. Found they were too unstable for my taste (at the time). I tried a 29er and thought that would be a good way to go but was cautioned that it may be too slow for the higher commuting miles I was looking to do.

So I ended up on a drop bar hybrid or "gravel grinder". Looked at the Specialized AWOL and the Giant Anyroad. Ended up on the Anyroad because of price/value, styling, weight, and local bike shop support. Cost me $1300 after tax. I also wanted to spend $750 going in but raised my budget to get what I could be happy with.

I mostly ride street with 40 mile day commutes and am up to 16mph averages. The 700c x 32 tire is fast and capable on/off pavement. I've rode 4x4 forest service roads in the mountains and gravel pedestrian trail. It's no mountain bike but packed and rutted dirt is very doable. Also rides nice in flip-flops to the park with my son. 1200 miles on it this year and couldn't be happier.

Here's my bike with a black bear down in the creek below from the 40 mile ride last Sunday:

[​IMG]

He doesn't show up well on the cell phone camera at 100 yards behind :( so here's another:

[​IMG]

And just the bike:
    [​IMG]

3. Allyance

Allyance Insider

United States
    Map
    When I decided to get back into bicycling, I bought a Giant "Comfort" bike kind of like a mountain bike, but with disk brakes and some suspension. Loved the look of it but it wasn't fast enough. Then I got my current bike, a Trek 2.3. While working in WA, near Mt. Ranier, I was riding about 18-20 miles a day on great trails, hate the street.

My son had in his garage for a couple years while on another job, just got it back today:
    [​IMG]
    Now I need to get back in shape!
    To answer your question, the Trek is more than you want to spend, but Giant is a very good brand as well. Should be able to find something in your price range to get you started.
    Make sure you get fitted by a reputable shop. I ended up with a much larger bike than I had initially, much better fit and speed.

4. 34468 Randy

34468 Randy Secret Insider

Canada
    Map
    I agree basically with both above. But if you want a bike that has a few better components on it, you may need to spend a bit more that the $750 or so you mentioned. Mind you, I am thinking Canadian prices so maybe I am a way off base here.

Nothing wrong with Cannondale at all. Specialized is my bike of choice. I have an Enduro. My second. First one was stolem by some pimple sucking parasite. Not the best picture but you get the idea. IMGP1341.jpg

The tires on this thing were fairly agressive for the riding I am now doing so I changed them out to a less knobby tire whcih makes for much easier pedaling and smoother ride.

My Enduro is a hybrid full suspension which is really nice for longer days in the saddle. Like said before. Get someone who knows what they are doing to fit you to the bike. Believe it or not, if you do not adjust the leg stroke to the right degree, you WILL bugger up your knees if you ride a lot. You need to have almost full extension on the down stroke of your leg. This I also know from experience. Because of that, a few years ago, I could not climb stairs to to arthritic knees unless I pulled myself up the bannister while trying to climb. I shit you not. Celebrex is a great pill for that.

ATGATT also aplies to bicycling too. I did a header over the bars into a rock face in a ditch back somewhere around 1992 or something like that. I just got up and rode away but have been suffering neck issues pretty much ever since. Now I were not wearing a helmet.......

You don't like spandex? Get over it. Cover it up with other shorts. Your crotch will thank you for wearing proper riding shorts beneath whatever else you choose to wear. I also found that out the hard way.

I have been away from the bike for a number of years but health issues has dictated I resume that activity. I am doing so gradually and just waiting for the heat to die down to resume that process. So enjoy. I don't know how many miles I have ridden over the years but it has been a lot.

5. REEK

REEK New Member

United States
    Map
    If you are thinking about road and light trail use, and $750 is your absolute budget, you might have some issues with the amount of bike you get. I would stay away from "hybrids". They are overly recreational. I'd look at cyclocross bikes. It's like a road bike, that can go off road. Or even a XC mountain bike with slicks. Either will likely be more effective for what you describe as your use than a true hybrid. If you're willing to forego the name brand for a decent "second tier" frame with good components, you'd probably do better. Main brands (avoiding boutique brands) like Giant, Specialized, Trek, Cannondale will likely get you lesser components per price range. If you get a decent aluminum frame bike like Marin, GT, Fuji, you won't as a beginner realy notice a huge difference in frame quality. Without getting into the local bike shop vs mail order argument, even the Performancebike.com house brand bikes are pretty decent. Pricepoint.com house brands are not bad. None are Wally world junk quality. Even some of the bikesdirect.com Motobecanes are not bad. Like this: http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/motobecane/outlaw-discbrake-crossbikes.htm

Once you decide you want to stick with biking or decide more focused direction, then drop $$$ on a great bike. Just don't cheap out too much, a bad bike at the start can taint your view on biking and turn you away. Best part is, like motorcycles, bikes are completely customizable and if you start build your own bike and wheels, you'll have plenty to wrench on! The only problem with that is it gets addictive. There seems to be a competition in my garage between the bikes and the motorcycles to see who can multiply the quickest.

6. Arnzinator

Arnzinator New Member

United States
    Map
    Thanks guys. I'm also not opposed to buying used. CL is littered with quality bikes. I may visit some local bike shops this weekend.

7. FJ12rydertoo

FJ12rydertoo Member

United States
    Map
    If you know how a bike should fit then a used one should work just fine. But if you're not sure then hie yourself to a bike shop and get fitted, it will be the best move you'll make when it comes to bikes.

8. cornerexit

cornerexit New Member

Look at the Cannondale Bad Boy, if they still make it. It is a hybrid and takes either type of rim, road or MTB. I mounted MTB rims and run a tire that leans more to the payment than dirt. I use it for cardio training only and wanted the ability to hop curbs and other city obstacles so the road wheels had to go.

9. tinkerinWstuff

United States
    Map
    Difference between the xcross or cyclocross and the gravel grinder type hybrids today is a taller head tube and slightly less aggressive riding position. Works better on my back and as a VFR rider, it's probably what you'll appreciate too.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2014
  10. reg71

reg71 Poser Staff Member

United States
    Map
    Search for a cyclocross bike. It sounds like just what you are looking for. I have a Kona called "Jake the Snake" but I know Cannondale makes a cyclocross model also. Probably could find a good deal if you use searchtempest to search multiple craigslist listings.

11. tinkerinWstuff

United States
    Map
    the thing to be aware of with cyclocross is that it is a type of racing. So like a road bike or a sport bike, it requires a much more aggressive riding posture. If you're into that kind of thing then that's great. A more laid back style that's similar in durability and capability is the "gravel grinder" class I've been mentioning. So think of the difference between VFR and R6. Whichever flavor is for you....

So look at the difference in the head tube (or note the height difference in the seat compared to the bar height placing the rider much more flat):

[​IMG]

and compare with my Anyroad or an Awol which is equally as durable as a cyclocross:
    [​IMG]

This puts me more upright in the saddle. Slightly slower although I can still go down into the drop bar when wanted. But far more comfortable on my lower back in the long rides.

Just something to be aware of while you're shopping.

AWOL:
    [​IMG]

12. Arnzinator

Arnzinator New Member

United States
    Map
    Thanks Tink, great analogy with the VFR & R6 reference.

13. Arnzinator

Arnzinator New Member

United States
    Map
    Theres actually a few Bad Boy's available on CL's in my area. A couple claiming to be ridden only a handful of times.

14. DKC

DKC New Member

Some bicycle shops (like auto dealers) have year end close out sales around September. I looked at (but passed on) a cyclocross two years ago. I believe they dropped the price from about $1100 to $700.

15. Porkchop

Porkchop New Member

I work for a Specialized dealer and ride nothing but Specialized. Like Tink said an adventure touring or adventure road bike might fit you best. The Crux may be a little racey for you, but is a badass bike for everything from dirt to gravel grinding. Then there's the Tricross which is a great aluminium touring bike that can be farkled out. The AWOL like Tink said is a cool steel adventure bike that would be good for rough touring. On the more hybrid side they have the Crosstrail. A good bike that has that mountain feel with a front shock fork.

16. Arnzinator

Arnzinator New Member

United States
    Map
    Thanks to all for you tips & recommendations. I've had some time to shop / test ride & have come down to two models. A Specialized Crosstrail Sport Disc & a Cannondale Quick CX 3. I'm leaning towards the Crosstrail as its a little cheaper, 27 speed vs 24. Tried a couple of mountain bikes while I was shopping just for the sake of comparison. I was the most comfortable on the Crosstrail. A little more upright riding position compared to the mountain bikes. Felt really good even with just a quick fitting. Probably gonna wait till next weekend to purchase. In Mass we have a sales tax holiday so its a good way to save a few bucks.

Thanks again guys! :)

17. 34468 Randy

Canada
    Map
    Here, our Provincial Sales Tax gets waived on all exercise equipment. But still have to pay the federal taxes.

18. Arnzinator

Arnzinator New Member

United States
    Map
    Provincial Sales Tax & federal taxes, WOW. What % total does that come up to?

19. 34468 Randy

Canada
    Map
    Its different from province to province. Goods and Services Tax ( GST) is Fed. Everyone paus this in some form or another. Provincial Sales Tax (PST) not all provinces have and may be different from prov to prov. GST I think is 6 or 7%. I think BC's PST is 6 or 7% as well. We are Canadian. We like to not only pay more for things, but also pay taxes. Thats how us 35 million people can afflord to build one new friggate every 5 years for our military and buy new jets every 30 years or so.

20. hwyrogue

hwyrogue New Member

Map
    No break in NS ... 15% tax on just about everything, including exercise equipment...that's why buying used makes sense - save the tax right off the bat.