Bicycle Recommendations.

Discussion in 'Anything Goes' started by Arnzinator, Aug 6, 2014.

1. Big_Jim59

Big_Jim59 Member

United States
    Map
    I started riding for my health about three months ago. I purchased a no-name hybrid city/mountain bike cross from a Big Box sporting goods store for the grand sum of $184. I ride it 6 days a week, a little over 5 miles a day. Three miles of my daily ride is on a dirt and gravel road. This I think it quite an achievement since on my first outing I thought I would die in one mile. I use the Strava app to track my progress. It's fun and keeps me honest. I have tweaked and adjusted the bike to my liking. My only complaint is the bars are a tad low and my hands get numb from the pressure. The perfect bike is one you will ride.

Oh. . .I always wear helmet and gloves when I ride. I have resisted the temptation to dress in skin tight bike suits as I would look something like the Stay-Puff Marshmallow Man on a cycle.

As a beginner (I did ride quite a bit in my youth) I love this topic.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2014
  2. TOE CUTTER

TOE CUTTER Mullet Man

United States
    Map
    I picked up a used Specialized XC for a very good price after a bit of hunting on Craigslist, it is used most on paved bike trails due to a poor quality spine but it allows me to ride around Folsom Lake trails and across fields and that helps to take the horrible part oot of it.

3. Arnzinator

Arnzinator New Member

United States
    Map
    Big_Jim59,

When I was younger I thought the same about biking shorts. Wasn't till my late 20's till I realized they serve a purpose. There's padding & seams are strategically placed to improve comfort & prevent chaffing. Especially around vital parts of ones anatomy. Take Randy's suggestion & wear 'em under shorts of your choice.

The last time I had a low end bike I folded a rim. I was on a road bike & I wasn't really paying attention. Front tire fell into a crack in the asphalt. Tried to turn out of it & the front rim basically folded over. I had a humbling 5-6 mile walk home. Thats when I bought my first Cannondale road bike.

4. Allyance

Allyance Insider

United States
    Map
    Big_Jim, you can buy padded stretch under shorts and wear normal (baggy) shorts (not nearly as expensive as bike shorts), and get the benefit of the gel pads. I also bought an after market seat by Cobb that is great. Looks like a normal saddle, but has just enough memory foam to make longer rides tolerable. The only seat company to provide explicit instructions on how to measure and set-up seat. Their best piece of advice was NOT to line up seat with top bar, but cant 5 degrees either way, make a world of difference in personal comfort!

5. FJ12rydertoo

FJ12rydertoo Member

United States
    Map
    Usually you want the seat to be slightly nose down to lessen pressure on your "neither regions". And remember to sit back on the seat far enough so your "seat bones" take most of your weight rather than your pubic bone. Getting out of the saddle periodically helps too, just taking weight off for a bit. Shorter rides are not such a big deal but when you're in the saddle for a couple hours it makes a big difference.

6. tinkerinWstuff

tinkerinWstuff Administrator Staff Member

United States
    Map
    Glad to hear you're doing your diligence in shopping. Ride lots of bikes.

7. Big_Jim59

Big_Jim59 Member

United States
    Map
    Thanks for the advice guys. It's not that I don't think a high end bike has value but at this point I need to make riding a habit. I didn't want to go all out, spend a mint and then have it sit. When I was 16, my friends and I rode bikes everywhere. We would meet on weekends and just go, sometimes camping out. My buddy bought a high end road bike and I got his Schwinn Varsity (Remember those?). i rode that thing everywhere.

Where do you get these specialty undershorts? Online? I am a bit intimidated by bicycle shops. I know a number of riders and they tend to be bike centric and fanatical. I am not a biking fanatic (not yet anyway) and I would like to keep at least some life balance. I guess there are people that are intimidated by motorcycle shops.

This is my bike:
    my-bike.jpg

I am well aware that the suspension on this bike is just pretend. It is made up of springs with no dampening what so ever. It's just for show.

8. Arnzinator

Arnzinator New Member

United States
    Map
    You can certainly buy online or any sporting goods store. But stop by a bike shop. Over the last week I've been in a few & found them very receptive. Most of the employees eat & sleep bikes so they are very knowlegable & understand your needs regardless of skill level. I saw people buying bikes for their kids to the elderly, all were wearing big smiles. Keep in mind I haven't set foot in bike shop in at least a decade. Don't be intimidated, they're there to help you.

I certainly think you get what you want at the big box store. But a bike shop will give you a level of service you won't find in a big store.

9. Big_Jim59

Big_Jim59 Member

United States
    Map
    Service at a big box store? What's that? And if they did offer to help, what does that over worked, part time, minimum wage guy know anyway. I have noticed that the big box sporting good stores sprinkle low end sporting good merchandise around the edge of the store and cram the middle with high priced branded sports wear. I'll check out the bike shops. I promise.

10. Arnzinator

Arnzinator New Member

United States
    Map
    I see you updated post #27 to include a pic. Nice axes in the background. I played bass when I was younger.

11. Big_Jim59

Big_Jim59 Member

United States
    Map
    I had a band called Uphill Slide. It was a boat load of fun but my schedule dose not permit it now. I have some friends that want to put together a power trio and that sounds like fun. That's my fretless Fender MIM Jazz bass. It's nice and one of my favorites. I mostly use the PA to play my Ipod through when I am working in the shop.

12. Arnzinator

Arnzinator New Member

United States
    Map
    Awesome! :)

13. 34468 Randy

34468 Randy Secret Insider

Canada
    Map
    Jim. You would be well served by going to a bicycle specific store. Like said these guys are passionate about bicycles. I understand your feelings going in about the riding shorts but the people there have heard this before. I do not ride the bicycle without them. Years ago I was less bashful and wore them without the other otter shorts. Now I am big fat and ugly so wear baggies on the outside. Seat height is critical. Your leg should almost be full extension on the down stroke. You will bugger up your knees really quick if not ptoperly adjusted and then you won't ride. The peeps at the shop will help you out there as well.

Ride on my brothers, spandex visible or no, ride on.

14. Big_Jim59

Big_Jim59 Member

United States
    Map
    You described me to a tee! All kidding aside here is what I know. The people that I have known, that had the most dramatic weight loss from any form of exercise, rode bikes. I think it's because riding a bike is a lot more fun that slogging it out on a treadmill or StairMaster and believe me I have tried.

I will make it a point to hit a bike shop this week and see what they have to offer.

15. tinkerinWstuff

United States
    Map
    For me, biking feels like it has a purpose. I can't stand to waste time in the basement gym. I can ride a bike to work it the hardware store and accomplish something that feels meaningful in the short term with my time and efforts. That fills the immediate gratification need we all (to some extent) feel. The weight loss and increased fitness is the added bonus that follows shortly after.

16. Allyance

Allyance Insider

United States
    Map
    When working is WA, I rode 15-18 miles a day, hard. Watched what I ate and lost 15 lbs, now I have to do it again, only this time I going to keep going till most is gone. Hardest thing to remember is it took awhile to put it on, so it's going to take awile to take it off.

17. tinkerinWstuff

United States
    Map
    Just dropped my coats off at the tailor today to have them taken in. No more of the roller coaster for me, I'm staying skinny.

18. Allyance

Allyance Insider

United States
    Map
    Famous last words! Did you know when you gain weight, you create fat cells, when you lose weight fat cells shrink, but stay behind waiting to be refilled!

19. FJ12rydertoo

FJ12rydertoo Member

United States
    Map
    And it's much harder to lose weight as you get older because you and your fat cells are such good friends. :)

20. tinkerinWstuff

United States
    Map
    I've heard that before but I wonder how true it really is? Biggest Loser is the only "reality" program we watch in our house. We've seen some amazing stuff and it's great to see people making their lives better rather than contrived drama or who can sleep with who TV. Anyway, I can't imagine those folks loosing 50% of their body weight just shrink their cells.