Bike storage - Pros and cons

Discussion in '5th Generation 1998-2001' started by pap11y, Nov 14, 2011.

1. pap11y

pap11y New Member

Map
    Hi everyone,

There are plenty of threads as to how setup your bike for winter storage.

I want to put my viffer in longer term storage maybe 12 months plus.

What are the pros and cons of doing this?

2. 34468 Randy

34468 Randy Secret Insider

Canada
    Map
    The pros.....fuck I dunno

The cons... you don't ride for too long a time

3. pap11y

pap11y New Member

Map
    I have another bike and want to keep my VFR stored as I want to preserve its condition.

I ride every day and park outside don't like that its always outside and exposed.

I am more concerned about whether if its not used things will break/die like electrical components.

4. squirrelman

squirrelman Member

United States
    Map
    Fret not: electrical things come oot of long-term storage better than anything else on the bike unless wee beasties chewed up the wires.

5. 34468 Randy

Canada
    Map
    You do know that too long of a period of time out of the saddle of your VFR will cause certain bodily appendages to shrink, dry up and fall off. Oh.....wait....those are worts from your ass when you use Compound W That is supposed to happen.

6. pap11y

pap11y New Member

Map
    Don't worry I will definately be riding :) I ride every day to work.

7. GreyVF750F

GreyVF750F Member

United States
    Map
    If your real serious about storing your bike and want it a year or so later in the exact same condition it is now, then put it in a bag with desiccant. I put my car in a bag when I store it other than my garage.

No animals can get to it, no moisture (basically), no dust dirt or anything will get to it. Drain all gas from tank and carbs, and drain cooling system. Pull plugs spritz cylinders with oil and turn over engine a couple of times. This will also lube valves. Put plugs in finger tight. About 40# of air in tires. Your now set for long term storage.

8. Keager

Keager Member

United States
    Map
    If you drain your tank...make sure it is bone dry, or it will rust. I know that there is a huge debate about leave it full or empty, I've ALWAYS left it full. If you do that, moisture cannot build up and no rust. But with storing it that long, make sure you use a good brand of gasoline and some sort of gas stabilizer (Sea Foam, Sta-Bil, many others out there) and you would still want to drain and fill with new before riding. I've also heard of taking the plugs out and put a tablespoon worth of oil in each plug, then replace the plugs. Keeps the innards from drying out. You get a little bit of smoke when first starting, but it's worth it. It eventually goes away. If you have a center stand, use it. Try to move your front tire once in a while to avoid flat spots. Pull the battery out, it won't last that long. If you can afford a storage unit, or a buddies (parents?) garage that would keep it out of the rain/snow/sun would also help. Invest in a good cover. Or even bag it, as suggested above. Should be good to go after that.

9. zoom-zoom

zoom-zoom Member

Canada
    Map
    The only thing to add to what Keager has said (unless you bag the bike of course) would be to take a rag and stick it in the tip of the exhaust pipe. It would be a good idea to cover and/or plug the inlet holes for the air intake as well so that no animals, or insects like spiders, can get inside the air filter housing. After storing one of my bikes over the winter, I tried to fire it up the next spring and it just didn't want to start. A friend suggested that I check the air box to make sure the filter was not clogged and low and behold a couple of mice had crawled in to the airbox and made a home. If a rodent can get in and make a home in the airbox maybe they might not think twice about the exhaust pipe as well.

10. 34468 Randy

Canada
    Map
    YOU FOUND MY MICKEY! Hwne and where can I come and get him?

11. GreyVF750F

GreyVF750F Member

United States
    Map
    If you bag it then there is no need to fill the tank. Better to have it empty and dry. No moisture gets in the bag,desiccant will take care of any little that might and the temp will change slow compared to leaving it set out. Remove battery.