Bought Wrecked '86 VFR, Where Do I Go From Here??

Discussion in 'General VFR Discussions' started by mcpmartin, Nov 9, 2021.

1. TOE CUTTER

TOE CUTTER Mullet Man

United States
    Map
    Where are you located? State, city.

2. mcpmartin

mcpmartin New Member

United States
    Dallas, Texas

3. mcpmartin

mcpmartin New Member

United States
    I boxed up and shipped out my carbs to squirrelman for a rebuild. While I'm waiting for them I thought I'd address a few other things on my to-do list. My exhaust looks to be original, and unfortunately it's beat to hell and back (missing end caps too). Anyhow, I've found a couple of slip-on & gently used Kerker System K mufflers for a reasonable price. However, my current exhaust flares out before the factory mufflers. Does anyone know if this is just a welded on heat sheild/shrowd over exhaust pipe? From the pic below you can see the flared out piece I'm referring to (pointing at). From the looks of it, it might be thin steel, and I'd kinda assume it might be removable or I might be able to cut it off. But I'm hoping to get some pointers from you all.

4. Thumbs

Thumbs Member

United Kingdom
    Drill a small hole and see how deep it is

mcpmartin likes this.
  5. Captain 80s

Captain 80s Member

United States
    The Kerkers were designed with a small connecting pipe (reducing down from 2") that slipped on when you cut off the factory muffler right at the weld before the flared piece. I buy hammered mufflers to cut off just for the connecting pipes so I don't have to sacrifice good ones. Obviously you don't have that dilemma.

Buy the Kerkers and make them work no matter what! They sound amazing on these VFRs.

20190406_200429.jpg

Last edited: Dec 8, 2021
    Viffer J and mcpmartin like this.
  6. Captain 80s

Captain 80s Member

United States
    The 1984 VF1000F is a 3.50 x 17 inch wheel that will also bolt on at factory wheel center using the VFR cush drive, rubbers and rear disk. There is no matching 17" front wheel tho.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/372936798389?hash=item56d4c3f0b5:g:KKQAAOSwhzRab4AM&LH_ItemCondition=4

Not a real big "upgrade" as far as tire selection, I did the Euro 17" wheels just as a period correct mod that I always wanted to do and still look stock-ish. I have other 86 VFRs with wide wheels and modern radials.

7. mcpmartin

mcpmartin New Member

United States
    Twice now I've purchased a version 17" wheel (UK version) for a 88-89 VFR from a seller on eBay (one in England and the other in France), and both have cancelled the sale/refunded my money. The excuses I'm getting are "a stocking issue". However, both wheels are still up for sale on eBay which tells me they don't want to ship to the U.S. Lazy son's of bitches! I'm so pissed right now. I've got good damn money to spend, and I don't know why I'm having such a damn hard time getting a 88 or 89 VFR (UK version) rear wheel. Sorry to rant, but I had to get it out. Any suggestions on where to find one of these wheels?

Last edited: Dec 14, 2021
  8. Captain 80s

Captain 80s Member

United States
    You're gonna have to just keep trying eBay if you're dead set on that wheel. It is unique to the 88 - 89 VFR.

Maybe it's time to consider wide 17" options to get into modern radials.

mcpmartin likes this.
  9. NorcalBoy

NorcalBoy Member

Maybe one of the UK guys will see this and would be willing to help you out and have it shipped to them, then forwarded to the US.....I know there are a couple out there, but I'd rather they come forward willingly after seeing this.

mcpmartin and Captain 80s like this.
  10. mcpmartin

mcpmartin New Member

United States
    Yeah, that crossed my mind a couple times, but I'm just trying to avoid any significant surgery on my bike if I can avoid it. I'd like to just bolt up the replacment 17" wheel and be on my way. I've read a few other threads where going to a much wider wheel required relocating brake mounts and such in back and shaving disk mounts up front. Sure you all have already read those same threads.

I'll try to be patient a bit longer, but moving to wider wheels (available in America) might be where I'm headed. Anyone want to talk me into going wider? :)

11. mcpmartin

mcpmartin New Member

United States
    Yes, that would be greatly appreciated! I'd make it worthwhile if someone in the UK could help me out with the wheel.

12. Captain 80s

Captain 80s Member

United States
    What are your reasons for doing this? Looks? Tire selection?

I probably created, or heavily contributed to, those threads.

I have done 5 wide wheel conversions. 3 on 86 VFRs, 1 VF1000R, and 1 VF1000F. All with different combinations of parts and solutions. There is not a bolt on solution, but everything can be sourced. The rear is easy, the biggest hurdle is the front. The easiest is having disc mounts machined down on a CBR600F2 wheel (which really isn't that bad for a decent machinist to do). Bolt on after that. A set of spacers on the rear, and bolt it up with the right combo of parts, including keeping your rear caliper and mount if you want. What's left is getting some ride height up in the rear, which you still need to do with a Euro 17" anyway.

I'm trying, but it's not for everybody. I've seen people absolutely flounder when there really isn't anything too hard to do. Answer my first question honestly.

13. mcpmartin

mcpmartin New Member

United States
    The factory sizes (18" in back & 16" in front) seem mismatched to me. I've always been a bit OCD; Even the salt and pepper shakers must line up with each other on the table too. In my mind the front and back wheels should be symmetrical with one another (both same size). So yes, it's an appearance thing for me. Tire selection size is a close 2nd place for reasons.

Did you keep record of your parts list for the 3 swaps on the 86 VFR? Do you happen to prefer one setup over the others?

14. Captain 80s

Captain 80s Member

United States
    Ok, I TOTALLY get the matching / OCD perspective. Plenty of reason for me, because quite honestly, it was a driving force on me too. The tire selection really isn't better, but that doesn't matter now.

Of course I know exactly what I did. My next build is incorporating all of my favorites.

Euro VFR lower triple clamp and "matching upper". Bolt on, identical to the 86, but is 41mm and spaced correctly for the wider wheel and disc mounts. My RC26 has Euro clamps too, but the top clamp really isn't very sexy. Going for a 90 - 97 VFR upper likely.

Because I don't care about the speedo, I'm going 1993 VFR forks with 94 CBR600F2 internals. 1993 VFR 750 front wheel (same as F2 just no speedo). 90 - 93 VFR larger discs to match the fork caliper mounts. Originally this bike was getting a full set of 94 CBR forks with F2 wheel, but switched up the plan to use those parts on another VFR. Plus now I can run a VFR fender which is quite a bit prettier than the F2.

The first version of the RC26 had CBR 600F2 triple clamps, but the lower clamp has to be fairly modified. Currently working on a F3 lower clamp that I had in the works before I scored a good deal on another Euro triple. CBR clamps have a slightly different offset / trail, so you must use both CBR clamps.

41mm bars of your choice. 90 - 97 VFR are probably the best option. I have some Telefix adjustable bars I might play around with.

Rear F3 wheel and using my CBR929 rear brake solution. (See the sticky). The spacers are being made as we type.

Ride height adjustable shock of your choice. You can run a 1987 VFR shock for ride height too, I installed a nice low mile one on the white VFR. The RC26 has a CBR Fox TC that I modified to fit. Works great. I have another one for the VFR that is getting the CBR front end. The next build I already have a sweet Nitron remote res.

[​IMG]

Last thing on a 86 is the fuses. You can get a 88 - 89 VFR fuse block and mount it under the left inner cowl cover. Plugs right in. I actually relocated the original fuse box and cover to the left side on the RC26 using the CA charcoal canister bracket of all things.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2021
    mcpmartin likes this.
  15. mcpmartin

mcpmartin New Member

United States
    Okay, so I've been able to find a seller of a 88-89 VFR rear wheel in France, and he's agreed to ship to the U.S.A.
    Now, here's my next dumb question. Are most of the late 80's cush drive rubbers interchangeable? With this rear wheel being from Europe, I'm a bit unsure about what will fit and what won't.

16. Captain 80s

Captain 80s Member

United States
    Bolt on as stated previously. Hub and cush rubbers are the same. The wheel is all that is needed.

Not saying you don't need new cush rubbers, but you don't need different ones.

mcpmartin likes this.
  17. mcpmartin

mcpmartin New Member

United States
    While I'm waiting on repair parts to be shipped, I thought I'd look at a few remaining issues with my bike. The side mirrors have had a hard life, and they're not repairable (at least not by me). Deep scratches, cracks, and failing glass is more than I care to work with. I've looks in the usual places (eBay, parts sites, etc), but most all identical replacments are similar to mine. I don't mind going with a newer side mirror design as long as they're functional and somewhat blend in. Does anyone have a suggestion for suitable replacement side mirrors?

18. Captain 80s

Captain 80s Member

United States
    There's only a couple other mirrors that mount the same way and will also steady the upper cowl. These:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/401751889291?hash=item5d8a47558b:g:Yf4AAOSwUDZcuITB

Here they are in White to give you a better idea of the style.

[​IMG]

That is the best price I've seen on these mirrors. Used to be able to get them in colors too, but I only see black now.

and the VF1000R stock mirrors. Those will be even harder to find than good VFR mirrors.

19. mcpmartin

mcpmartin New Member

United States
  20. Captain 80s

Captain 80s Member

United States
    I don't even understand. You mean swapping them out for the replacement stock sprocket? Which that part number is. Some manufacturers will list that number as a cross reference for the correct style. The sprocket you pictured is just an aftermarket sprocket, nothing special. It might be anodized aluminum, kinda looks like a PBI, 44T?

Edit: That's exactly what it is.

SPROCKET, FINAL DRIVEN (45T)
    41200-ML7-000

All sprocket part numbers superceded to 41200-MJ0-505 for 86 and 87

If you're talking about changing the number of teeth, the stock gearing (16/45) is pretty damn good on a VFR.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2021