Brake fluid changed on my 02 ABS, Phew!!

Discussion in '6th Generation 2002-2013' started by Airfiddler, Apr 3, 2020.

1. Airfiddler

Airfiddler New Member

Canada
    Map
    Well that was a chore ! I reckon 4 hours maybe five, I kinda lost count. This is not a job for the ham fisted, but I thought I'd give it a try. I used an Astro Pneumatic one man brake bleeder kit, Part #78613. It has both the 8 and 10mm bleeder wrenches , clear hose, and a one way valve, to prevent air from finding it's way into the system. It worked great. An air bleeder is not required but would likely be quicker. This is not a one man job, no matter what anybody says. You will need a helper to bleed both proportioning valves if you want to do the job right. I must have read the guide on this site on bleeding an ABS Gen 6 15 times before it finally sunk in. duh! I don't think I could have done the job without the great guide on this website. My VFR has only 37,000 kilometers on it, the fluid was pretty brown. Original ?? I also bled the hydraulic clutch while I had the tools out. The clutch fluid was even nastier ! That was a 15 minute job, and super easy. Good thing I looked at the brakes. Looks like I need new linings all around. (originals for sure, says nissin on the pads) That will be the next project on a cold or rainy day. Don't be afraid to give this job a go. Take you time and follow the guide. I wonder how much a bike shop would charge for this service ?

2. Dennis The Menace

Dennis The Menace New Member

Canada
    Map
    I finally installed speed bleeders that I have had for more than a year. made the job so much easier. My clutch reservoir was empty. bad me. had air in the line. borrowed a buddies vaccum bleeder to sort that out.

3. wiremanjon

wiremanjon New Member

United States
    Map
  4. wiremanjon

wiremanjon New Member

United States
    Map
    This guy is a great mechanic.