brake lines, case sliders reccomendations?

Discussion in 'Gear & Accessories' started by Guy Cole, Nov 29, 2020.

1. Guy Cole

Guy Cole New Member

United States
    Map
    I want to replace the brake lines on my gen5. I also want case sliders, because I would like to preserve what is left of my plastics. Have you bought these? What was your experience?

Here is an example case slider:
    https://twistedthrottle.com/shop/protection/frame-sliders/crash-protector-honda-vfr800-98-01/

Here are some example brake lines:
    https://galferusa.com/product/honda-1998-vfr-800-interceptor-multiple-lines-fk003d195-11
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/HONDA-VFR8...4e61b74c489d87ebdf6d|ampid:PL_CLK|clp:2334524

2. skimad4x4

skimad4x4 "Official" VFRWorld Greeter

France
    Map
    I have R&G frame skider/bobbins on my 6th Gen - and after extensive testing I can say they are well worth the investment.

For brake lines HEL is the brand to choose over in Europe - I have no idea whether they are available in the USA.

Beware cheap sliders - especially no cut solutions which do not bolt through the frame and instead attach to fairing mounting points which were never designed to withstand the stress of a 1/4tonne of motorbike landing on them. They may look good but if the bike ever goes sliding down the road, a similar looking cheap nylon bobbin can catch and dig in and simply tear off chunks from the fairing rather than leaving the bike with annoying scars if nothing had been fitted.

The R&G kit is the premium answer as it goes far beyond offering simple low speed tip-over protection as they are designed for racers, to minimise damage during typical racing incidents. Such as entering a corner too hot and the bike sliding away. Their slider kits are not cheap, but are made with a quality polyurethane bobbin attached via a special ductile steel bolt which is designed to bend and adsorb energy. To minimise the risk of frame damage on such a heavy bike, sliders really must be bolted right through the frame in place of the stock engine support bolt. This inevitably means being prepared to cut a couple of neat holes in your fairings. Obviously nothing will prevent a bike being wrecked by a high speed impact with a car/wall/tree or a high side.

I am very glad I fitted R&G kit on my VFR as it has allowed me to just pick the bike up and ride home every time. However a key element in that outcome was that I also backed off the mounting bolts for the mirrors and levers so they were only just bolted down sufficiently firmly to remain steady during normal riding. That way if the bike falls over, the mount is still loose enough to rotate harmlessly out the way rather than snapping off.

Sadly whether you are looking for brake lines or sliders beware there are copycat fakes on online sites.

Hope that helps - let us know what you go with.

SkiMad

(PS I do not work for, or own shares in R&G.)

3. raYzerman

raYzerman Member

Canada
    Map
    I'd like the R&G's too, comes with a new coolant bottle, etc. and looks to be the most robust to me. I'm planning on a set in the near future.

I have a Galfer stainless line kit with all the lines, will be installing that in the next month or so. I read a thread, seems the very short lines at the caliper may require some extra attention. The HEL kit may be better from what I've read, but since I have the Galfer, I haven't compared pricing, etc. If I were going that way, likely they'd come from Britain? I know HEL has a US outlet too.

You can go Russell, but it's kinda like you gotta assemble all the kit components on a list before you order... meh, stick to the above, I'd say.

While you got all the lines off, consider caliper rebuild with new seals....... in my situation with exchange rates, etc. looking like I will go OEM for that.

4. Guy Cole

Guy Cole New Member

United States
    Map
    Thank you for the prompt feedback. I ordered the R&G kit today because it was "on sale". I have already rashed up my bike, but I want to protect what is left. Will probably order the Galfers soon.

There was some great advice in the responses, i.e. caliper seals, mirror mounts. I usually remove mirrors for track (after breaking one).

Thanks again for taking time to respond, @raYzerman and @skimad4x4. Best to you from Silicon Valley, USA!

5. ddavidson

ddavidson New Member

Canada
    Map
    Any thoughts/experience with Speigler brake lines?
    I plan to replace mine in the spring.

And where did you find the R&G kit on sale?

Thanks!

Last edited: Jan 11, 2021
  6. raYzerman

raYzerman Member

Canada
    Map
  7. KBear

KBear New Member

United States
  8. Hivizukusa2016

Hivizukusa2016 New Member

United States
    I have Trex on my 08 vfr and love the fact i dont have to cut the fairing , i had R&G on my 06 and even a tip over left scuff marks on the lower half of the fairing , i was very disappointed , the other crash bar / sliders i purchased for Moto gymkhama require extensive cuts made to the fairing and provide the best sliding protection , similiar to the japanese police vfrs.
    As for the Trex i myself have not tested them and hope never too !