Brake system locks up after 2-3 min

Discussion in '5th Generation 1998-2001' started by Witch Doctor, Mar 21, 2009.

1. Dainius_M

Dainius_M New Member

Lithuania
    Map
    Can anybody make a video, stand VFR on center stand and spin front wheel after pressing front brake. I want to compare, I think that it chould be like that

2. Terry Smith

Terry Smith Member

Kuwait
    Map
    There's nothing in the linked brakes that should be causing any more or less drag between the pads and disc compared to any other bike. When you spin the wheel there will be some slight contact and maybe some hiss noise, and the wheel should rotate at least two turns (when you push the wheel hard).

If your front brake starts out OK but starts to lock/bind after a short amount of use, then there is a probably a blockage in the master cylinder that is preventing fluid pressure from releasing. If you open the master and look at the floor you will see a small metal cover. This can be picked out and then you will see the tiny relief port ("B" in the photo)
    [​IMG]

When you squeeze the brake, you should see fluid jetting up through the port, if not then the port is blocked. The metal cover is there to stop you from squirting fluid right out of the master so take care!

The other thing I would check is that the sliding pins in the caliper are properly greased, the caliper has to be able to slide sideways when the brake is applied.
    Good luck.

3. Dainius_M

Dainius_M New Member

Lithuania
    Map
    i have cleaned B hole, and sliders properly greased. But brakes still dragging.