Bridgestone Battlax T30 EVO Review

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by Jeff_Barrett, May 21, 2016.

1. OOTV

OOTV Insider

Everything you have said is now officially negated as you chose to reply to SOW!

2. 34468 Randy

34468 Randy Secret Insider

Canada
    Map
    Yabut....yabut....So did I!

3. OOTV

OOTV Insider

But you didn't say much anyway!

4. Badbilly

Badbilly Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!

United States
    What is the best grit sandpaper to use to get tires to look like that for us slow guys who want to just look like the fast guys at bike nights? Got that feeler peg angle with a rasp down pat.

I was thinking that a couple of sheets of maybe 80 grit could be packaged as a kit and sold in Harley shops for their hog wallows.

5. Badbilly

United States
    I wish Walmart would start selling bike tires. That way I could talk tires and shop for other stuff all at the same time + getting some riding in.

6. ridervfr

ridervfr Member

Belgium
    Map
    Dats funny, You know the only time a HD gets lean angle is when its parked out in front of the bars. I heard from old timers that they used to run the race tyres one way for part of the weekend and then when that side of the tread wore out, they reversed them and ran them backwards. I guess "being on the balls of your ass" applies here. Hope they were not eating Frisky Cat food too.

I vaguely remember stories of doodes taking some sand paper to their tires prior to races to get rid of that so-called mold release compound, maybe the rubber industry came a long way from those years, 60s?

7. GreyVF750F

GreyVF750F Member

United States
    Map
    I guess I better put my two cents in about the T30 EVO. Yes I love these tires and will get them as the next set and most likely beyond. Now I must report the bad. It's not really bad, just normal for the type of trips I've taken lately.

The tires have 6000+ miles on them from trip and around here. Both are flat spotted in the center. The rear I understand and the front is a "that figures". I don't think I can blame the tires a whole lot for being flat spotted in the centers. Out of the 6k miles there is at least 3600 miles of flat straight running, 1800 miles out, last 1800 miles back of nothing but flat straight roads across the mid-west. The tires have about 2000 miles left even flat spotted. That's the most I've gotten out of any mc tire. Though all prior were bias ply.

The turn in is a little slower and not as precise. Once leaned over they are like they should be, holds line, very easily alter/change line. Stick, yes they stick like glue over most any road imperfection, I like the way they recover from bad bumps to black ice situations. They saved my butt in heavy water and down pour conditions. No hydro planing, pushing or sliding in heavy highway water. Just full speed a head.

I'd be willing to try the PR4's and others, but for a $100+ more per set I can't imagine they are that much better than the EVO's if any at all. I think I'll follow Jeffs line of thinking and get the next set with a GT spec rear only and standard front EVO.

8. A.M

A.M Moderator Staff Member

In my opinion, nothing beats a PR2 combo, although I read somewhere they aren't being manufactured any longer. They can be ordered last I checked though, but not too keen on ordering older rubber. The last tires I've ordered have been manufactured about 13 months prior as it is.

I'm still thinking of trying the T30 GT spec next time or the Michelin combo. The PR4 front scalloped like crazy and I didn't like the feel...too much siping I feel is the problem.

I agree with everything ypu mentioned about the T30s. Love them more than the Michelins, but not that much more. I'm only gonna get half my usual wear, and my riding setting/style has not changed.

Although...the moto has been having fun with some wheelies lately.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

9. Jeff_Barrett

Jeff_Barrett Member

Canada
    Map
    Darn hooligans!!! ;)

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

10. fink

fink Member

United Kingdom
    Map

Was that T30 or T30 Evo you had on,2 different tyres. The evo lasts far longer than the plain t30. And the GT is just the harder sidewall version.

Got to say I love the t30 evo far better than pr 3 or 4 s.

11. Jeff_Barrett

Jeff_Barrett Member

Canada
    Map
    We both have the EVO

12. duccmann

duccmann Member

United States
    Map

Although...the moto has been having fun with some wheelies lately]

Come now, you know how it works around these parts Missy
    Picture or it didn't happen

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. A.M

A.M Moderator Staff Member

:playful: Wheelietime!
    20160910_191100.jpg

14. duccmann

duccmann Member

United States
    Map
    Your my hero AM

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. 34468 Randy

34468 Randy Secret Insider

Canada
    Map
    If it was wet, there would be some fine squid soup right there.

16. Jeff_Barrett

Jeff_Barrett Member

Canada
    Map
    ;)

17. Badbilly

United States
    All that massaging of tires was for dirtbikes and especially flat trackers. The pro fast guys still cut their tires. Reversing is still done. When the edges were toast, the tires were sold to street dudes. Oval racing for a couple of years was done on both concrete and asphalt. In Japan there's a form of flat track that is done as I recall, indoors. The riders must maintain the bike and parimutual betting is done.

Now if we could only come up with one thing new for the harleydoods, we could all die happy.. Ain't gonna happen. Maybe a book? "Harleydoods for Dummies" or " 365 Steps to Becoming a Real Harleydood."

With all this sidewall wear I figure there must be places in the US that do not have straight roads.. I may drag oot a mounted wheel and tire and chip some paint off the wheel edge for the lean angle brag... or maybe take an angle grinder to a set of elbow pucks.

18. James Bond

James Bond Member

United States
    Map
    I can relate to that. Many times I've gotten less than 2000 from a PR2 rear.

19. Lint

Lint Member

United States
    Map
    For what it's worth, this is all up to an opinion and desired results from a tire. I ride aggressively at time that would be beyond the abilities of a PR4 and I can confidently say this as I have run them at a track and I know what their capabilities are and what their limits are. Add to that their sluggish higher effort turn in and I'll take the T30 over it gladly. I'll grant that the PR4 probably will last longer than the T30, but the T30 is much more a sports tire than a sports touring tire. As far as the rain? Unless you are an expert rider on a closed course with all factors the same, the T30 is every bit as good in the rain, based on my experiences and I've gone through multiple sets of PR3 and 4 tires and about 6K on my T30s right now. Including a 60 mile trip from the International Motorcycle Show in the rain last night. Turns, braking and acceleration were all great and my rear tire is near the wear bars. I will admit that I was riding nervously last night at first when I started riding home, due to knowing my rear tire was low on tread, but that was unnecessary as I found out a little down the road.

20. Lint

Lint Member

United States
    Map

Any updates on increased mileage from the GT vs the EVO? Any noticeable difference in grip leaned over? I want the mileage of a hockey puck and the grip of a slick... :crazy::tickled_pink: