Canadian alternative to Plast-aid?

Discussion in 'Canada & Alaska' started by digitallyhip, Apr 9, 2010.

1. digitallyhip

digitallyhip New Member

Canada
    The big wind (70 knots plus!) the night before last lifted my portable garage and its two 50 gal water barrels and knocked over my bike. Again. This time the el cheapo fairing slider punched through the right side and I have to repair the damage.

Bubba's "How to Repair Plastic" posting looks excellent and I am game, if unskilled. But Plast-aid won't even talk to me about shipping to Canada. This led me to another product that was available in Canada (Plastex), and I wonder if anyone has used it and/or has a better idea?

Thanks!

2. cebuVFR

cebuVFR Member

United States
    Map
    That's a bummer bro. Good thing you have Bubba's tips to start with.

3. GreyVF750F

GreyVF750F Member

United States
    Map
    I use Plastex quite often to repair stuff. I got it first to make new hold on tabs for my tail section and rebuild a mount for my fairing. Both have held up over a year with no signs of cracks or weakness. I like the stuff and recommend it for ABS. As you probably know they have about 4 colors to choose from. Matter of fact I bought mine from the guys in Canada who make the kit. No hassle shipping to the states. Go figure.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. 34468 Randy

34468 Randy Secret Insider

Canada
    Map
    Plastex. Available at Home Hardware in Canada.

5. Squamish VFR

Squamish VFR New Member

Canada
    Map
    Dominion Epoxy products are available at Lordco but generaly epoxies are fine. If you need to get serious with real cloths and resins then Fibre tek on boundry, but surley on Bowen someone somewhere is building a boat? Remember, no polyester fibreglass resins, just epoxies. I know a good painter up here if you need. Post some pic's!

6. Grilldemon

Grilldemon New Member

Plastic repair

I use Duramix to repair sled hoods. If you can find someone to lend you an applicator gun, it works great. (It's a dual caulking tube setup. You jusat have to get the right compound for the plastic you are repairing). My father showed me this, he is a retired bodyman/painter. It's available at Acklands-Grainger. It sets up quick, so you gotta work fast, but repairs are rock solid. There is a screen you can get for larger repairs that you stick to the backside of the repaired area.