Carb problems with my 2nd Gen?

Discussion in '1st & 2nd Generation 1983-1989' started by slowbird, Sep 9, 2010.

1. slowbird

slowbird Member

Canada
    Map
    Checking with my hand it does look like it's coming from around the rear left carb area.....good call.

Yes. I did read what SM said.

As I have previously stated, I do not have a place to work on the bike....and the weather lately has been far from ideal to do this in my driveway.

Also....locating a "sloped platform" to do this isn't working out too well.

Last thing I wanna do is accidentally drop/damage something or spill copious amounts of fuel on my driveway. Neighbors are nosy, and I've already had complaints for spilling automotive fluids. (by accident)

2. tinkerinWstuff

tinkerinWstuff Administrator Staff Member

United States
    Map
    My God man. Do I have to draw you a picture? I'm not cutting the legs off the tables in my garage to slope them for carb testing. Place some old spark plugs under the rear. Cylinder carbs to prop them up if you have to. Find a way, make it happen. No exCuses for failing to do it right.

3. JamieDaugherty

JamieDaugherty New Member

United States
    Map
    Wow Tink, having a bad day? Slowbird doesn't have a place to work on the bike, no garage or anything. I can understand how that would make things pretty difficult.

4. crustyrider

crustyrider New Member

Map
    WhatTink is doing Jamie is trying to get Slowbird motivated to get it fixed.....it is a little frustrating to be this close to a solution and not do one simple test. I understand about the no place to work. I live in an apartment, so have no garage but I stll manage to work on the car, truck , and bike when I need to. If he is worried about getting fuel on the ground lay some newspaper/ cardboard/plastic tarp what ever it takes......

5. Dukiedook

Dukiedook New Member

Map
    You are leaking out of #1 like I am. Odds are you'll have to change out your needle and gasket.

6. squirrelman

squirrelman Member

United States
    Map
    I'm waiting, Slow.

So send me your carbs already !!

7. tinkerinWstuff

tinkerinWstuff Administrator Staff Member

United States
    Map
    sorry if responses were a bit terse. Was out of town trying to respond on blackberry while riding the orange line in Chicago. VFRW on blackberry is about as fun as a root-canal.

Many a carburetor has been rebuilt on the kitchen table.

8. slowbird

slowbird Member

Canada
    Map
    Thanks Jamie.

I don't need motivation. I need a day where I'm not working and don't have other plans, and the weather is decent, so I can work on the bike.

With all these bloody hurricanes and storms, it seems like the weather is going from sunny to rain in a matter of minutes. :frown:

Empty your inbox. :tongue:

9. squirrelman

squirrelman Member

United States
    Map
    THANKS for bringing down your VFR, Matt and promoting INTERNATIONAL friendship and commerce !! Now i have a great project for a few days !

Your bike (@ 44,000 km) is nearly immaculate, the finest condition example of an '86 i've seen. Plastic is awsome in its perfection, and it's a privilige just to touch her.:cool::crazy::confused::rolleyes:

It seemed on my test ride that your bike ran OK, but weak and was slightly missing mostly in the 4-5000 rpm range (critical for smooth cruising), along with black smoke from exhaust on initial acceleration, but had quick throttle response and good top end, along with rear left carb drip. Back in the shop i tried to hold a very steady 4000 with the throttle, but i could hear, feel and see on the tach the wavering and uncertain response i felt riding, kind of always up and down.

Your bike was running almost well enough but could improve with some fine tuning, just as you said.

I can promise to get your bike running much better, but getting things perfect can be a time-consuming process and may involve many plug checks and carb adjustments after riding, but i'm willing to give it a go. Just get your bike running as well as mine is all i need to accomplish.

I'll be checking things over starting Monday and post info here, with your permission, Matt,since this thread might possibly be of some instructional value or passing interest to our many young amateur motor-mechanics , dabblers, quaint hobbiests or MMI students working avidly anywhere, whether in their mum's gardensheds or on the grotty streets of East London, Jakarta, or Brooklyn, NY mostly without tools or manuals in the rain or merely trapped in an office behind a computer.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 3, 2010
  10. Michael E

Michael E New Member

Map
    PLEASE say yes Matt. Everyone has had comment on this thread and this will be interesting. Thanks for offering to post your work Squirrelman.

11. rustedroot

rustedroot New Member

Matt, your ride is in good hands with Squirrel.

His workshop is a mile (kilometer?) from my home, and I've watched him overhaul many carbsets recently. Knowing what a pain in the ass it took getting your VFR down here and getting back home, let me offer any help I can in coming back down to pick up the bike. A ride from the bus station, lodging, etc. Just ask bro, no probs.

Squirrel, what plugs are in it? NGK 8's or 9's, or something else?
    Interesting that #1/#4 cylinders both look rich, versus #1/#3 or #2/#4? Maybe the choke circuit?

12. rustedroot

rustedroot New Member

Honda shop manual lists different carbs installed on Canadian VFR's

USA stamped: VD-BAB
    Canadian stamped: VD-BOD

13. GreyVF750F

GreyVF750F Member

United States
    Map
    BAB= Buffalo American Body

BOD= Brampton Ontario Design

I wonder if Squirrel can work on BOD vs BAB? Eh? I hope this doesn't keep Slowbird up at nights.

14. slowbird

slowbird Member

Canada
    Map
    Go right ahead Squirrel and post on here, I don't mind. :cool:
    It saves me from having to close the thread when I get the bike back. :tongue:

The Plugs I installed there should be the NGK 9's. (DPR9EA-9......that's from memory so I may be wrong)

LOL....it wasn't too bad. Meeting Squirrelman finally, getting to ride his VTR250 and enjoying the artery clogging delicacies at IHOP more than made up for it. :tongue:

I appreciate the offers, rusted. Very kind of you to offer.

I can't see the Canadian and American carbs being different to the point of giving Squirrel any problems. (knock on wood)

I'm sure it'll be fine.

15. crustyrider

crustyrider New Member

Map
    there is a difference....the canadian carbs when you rev them after you let off the throttle go VROOOM eh? VROOOOM eh? thats the eh circuit ...yours might be clogged .lets hope squirrel can get it unplugged with a little canadian mist..... LOL

SLO , as nutty As ol Squirrelman is .your in good hands.......

16. slowbird

slowbird Member

Canada
    Map
    ^^ LOL. :tongue:

17. rustedroot

rustedroot New Member

:canada::boobies3::boobies2::boobies4:

lolz, I just discovered the advanced smilies on this website. These seem appropriate!

18. squirrelman

squirrelman Member

United States
    Map
    First thing i did was remove and inspect plugs after we had our 4 mile test ride and the bike was warmed up and i had held 4000rpm (in neutral) for about 20 seconds then switched OFF.

Standard #9 plugs looked newish but each plug had a different appearance, with one looking fine, one too lean and 2 darker than proper, one darker than the other. Plugs were marked according to which cylinder the came from. Gaps were normal.

This was a good result, because i have found a problem......and now i can find a solution in the carbs, i hope.

Results will be good after the necessary tuning and adjustments are made so that each plug looks the same, with part of the center electrode a light tan to redish brown.

Does your Canadian gas contain ethanol like ours ??

Next step, remove carbs.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 4, 2010
  19. slowbird

slowbird Member

Canada
    Map
    It does, but I only fill up at Shell and I only use their Ethanol Free "V-Power" Gas.

I'm sure I'll have to put some regular gas in when I fill up in Buffalo for the return trip home.

20. rogersj3

rogersj3 New Member

United States
    Map
    Posting to bookmark this thread - I have a feeling I'ma need its advice soon as I begin to finish up my restoration. Thanks for the info everyone, very educational.