Chain? 530 vs. 520

Discussion in 'General VFR Discussions' started by RVFR, Jul 19, 2017.

1. 2027Matt

2027Matt New Member

United States
    Map
    15 /45 is the same as 16/48. Either of these would give the same performance. If you just want to change the gearing, then I would go one smaller on the front. You can use the same chain . If you are changing the chain also, then I would go larger on the back sprocket.

2. Gator

Gator Insider

United States
    Map
    I have spent a lot of time on that site years ago, LDH (Mike from Kyle Racing) turned me onto it. I understand gearing for the most part but I think you missed my question.
    Say you can get the same FINAL gear ratio from 2 different front and rear tooth counts on 2 separate systems. One has a smaller front and larger rear, the other as a larger front and smaller gear. Both have the same final same gearing ratio. Will the one with the smaller front and larger rear pull quicker in acceleration than the other set up? Or should they pull exactly the same?
    Thanks

3. Gator

Gator Insider

United States
    Map
    That is my question, will you get the same performance. I have my track bike, CBR 1000RR, geared -1 +1 and find it a great all around gearing for the tracks I run, well except Jennings which I could use a -1+3 on as it is a tighter more technical track more suited to 600's. But I get along there ok as the dyne tune I had done to the bike gave me a very fat torque curve on an already great motor that produces torque at lower RPM's.
    This is just a question i have had that I have not found a definitive answer too. lol

4. FJ12rydertoo

FJ12rydertoo Member

United States
    Map
    IMO they should pull the same, since the ratio is the same. But I can see where you're coming from, a
    smaller countershaft sprocket seems like it should pull harder than a larger countershaft sprocket. But
    as long as the ratios are the same, the pulling power should remain the same.

Gator likes this.
  5. NorcalBoy

NorcalBoy Member

The same gear ratio, regardless of the combination you use to get there, will yield the same theoretical acceleration between the two solutions. All things being equal.

It has a lot to do with your chassis setup, when you are getting into the realm of what Gator is talking about. If you are installing a 520 kit on a stock bike and aren't concerned with the chassis geometry, i.e., swingarm downslope angles, etc, it really doesn't matter. When you are optimizing your geometry and suspension setup, the sprockets do come into play. Even chain tension is important to how the suspension works.

http://gmd-computrack.com/

https://motochassis.com/product/motorcycle-setup-software/

https://motochassis.com/ Tony Faole is the guru of this kind of thing

Last edited: Feb 14, 2019
    Gator and VFRDweezel like this.
  6. Gator

Gator Insider

United States
    Map
    Thanks for the info, I'll read them later.