Chain adjustment VFR 1995

Discussion in '3rd & 4th Generation 1990-1997' started by Jonasbeavis, Nov 14, 2023.

1. Jonasbeavis

Jonasbeavis New Member

Portugal
    Map
    hi guys , i know it should be something already very talked about around here , but i need to ask .

Yesterday i decided to adjust my chain was a little loose.

I have the specific tool , torque wrench and so on , but not that specific lift for the rear wheel.

The manual says to do it on side stand , but how can i find the tight spot , only by myself , alone?

it really matter do adjust it on central stand? i know that the chain tends to strech when we seat , but does it really makes so much difference when the rear tire is lifted? Afterall theres no weight in both situations. and the rear shock limits the possible swingarm travel isnt it?

Usually from side and central stand (by experience) the difference is about 5 millimeters , so if i adjust the chain on central stand for 20mm i should get the 15mm on side stand .

What do you think about this?

Regards .

2. bmart

bmart Insider

United States
    Map
    Spec on my '98 and '00 is 20-30mm on the Centerstand.

You can get some variation due to:

upload_2023-11-14_8-45-16.png

If you're trying to find the tight spot, just locate it while it is on the center stand and then lower the bike where it is to the side stand for your adjustment. I'd also clean it before adjusting.

Alternatively, you can have a friend pivot the rear off of the ground while you turn the wheel/measure.

Jonasbeavis likes this.
  3. Captain 80s

Captain 80s Member

United States
    On my 95 (my only chain bike with a center stand), I check / adjust on the center stand (cuz its way easier), slightly tighten the pinch bolt and take it off to recheck on the sidestand. It only takes a couple times to learn what slack it needs to compensate for when the bike has some weight on the suspension. Later I might have a buddy or my wife give me a sanity check with me on the bike. As long as the chain isn't dragging on the center stand... you're probably just fine. Er on the slightly loose side if something feels ambiguous, most people over tighten chains.

Jonasbeavis likes this.
  4. Jonasbeavis

Jonasbeavis New Member

Portugal
    Map
    IMG_20231114_113219.jpg
    And what slack ( in millimeter) on central stand do you use?

Is this procedure the correct one to adjust on central stand? ( Attachment)

5. Captain 80s

Captain 80s Member

United States
    At this point in my motorcycling life, I don't need to "measure" anything. I just know what the right amount feels like. The only bike I have that has wildly different requirements is my Hawk GT, it needs to be what anybody would call "loose".

You are starting to over think this. Do what I said and experiment a couple times.

Jonasbeavis likes this.
  6. Jonasbeavis

Jonasbeavis New Member

Portugal
    Map
    Yes Captain , my Captain ! :)

Last edited: Nov 14, 2023
  7. Terry Smith

Terry Smith Member

New Zealand
    Map
    Too tight is definitely a bad idea. When the swingarm is hanging downwards on the centrestand, the distance between the sprockets is lessened. When you sit on the bike the swingarm will move upwards and pass through the point where the swingarm pivot and the sprockets are all in line; that is the tightest that the chain will be (assuming no tight links). You do not want the slack to completely disappear as you pass through this point as that is how the pins and rollers get damaged.

I'd also suggest that you do the tensioning with a warm chain i.e. when the grease has softened up and all is moving as freely as possible.

Jonasbeavis likes this.
  8. ridervfr

ridervfr Member

Belgium
    Map
    too tight will waste a chain fast.

Jonasbeavis likes this.