Chain Lube -> Ride -> Mess

Discussion in 'General VFR Discussions' started by xeipher, Apr 3, 2009.

1. xeipher

xeipher New Member

Hi,

I was wondering what is the order of activities fellow VFR riders do,

1) Ride (to work and back)
    2) Lube Chain
    3) Let it stand overnight

or

1) Lube Chain
    2) Ride (to work possibly)
    3) All is good...

In my case it is currently,

1) Lube chain
    2) Ride to work
    3) Get there and see the mess

I degreased the chain and used one of the spray based synthetic chain lubricants. Let the bike stand while washed up and got ready for work (possibly an hour). Rode the bike to work and I see the lube has dripped onto the fairings near the side kickstand, onto the swingarm and part of the rear tire where it says Michelin :p .

Just wanted to know if am doing something wrong, or this is kinda expected.

Thanks.

Xeipher.

2. mello dude

mello dude Administrator

United States
    Map
    I use the Honda lube chain stuff. Its a dry film that has to set before use. So I usually give it about 20 minutes + to dry out before riding.

MD

3. vfrcapn

vfrcapn Member

United States
    Map
  4. Rev

Rev New Member

Yep, I got chain lube on the wheel, the underside of the fender, and caked in the chain guard. I got tired of cleaning it off so now I just leave it.

5. Pliskin

Pliskin New Member

United States
    Map
    I know there are various lubes out there, and some probably "stick" better than others, as well are some that are much cleaner than others.

I was always under the impression to apply the lube after you ride, when the chain is warm. Then let it sit. I usually do this after a ride and when I'm done for the day/night.

I use Bel Ray Super Clean, but I am sure there are plenty of other products out there.

So, I would go with your first scenario in your original post. Ride. Lube. Sit.

How often do you lube it anyway? I always thought about every 500 miles, or anytime it gets wet.

6. xeipher

xeipher New Member

Oh every 500 miles/wet condition? I was under the impression every 2 weeks for good chain health. Not sure, first chain bike, and bought it about a week and a half back. Looked at the other chain maintenance threads but this did not come up.

Xeipher.

7. Pliskin

Pliskin New Member

United States
    Map
    I suppose you could debate the "500 mile" interval. Maybe sooner? Its probably relative your riding style and conditions, as well.

I certainly don't think that if you happen to go 600 or 700 miles that its the end of the line for the chain.

But definitely want to lube after its gotten wet.

8. John451

John451 Member

Australia
    Option 1: ( approx every 375miles )

1) Ride
    2) Lube Chain
    3) Let it stand

If possible always lube the chain mostly from the INSIDE of the chain after a ride when it is still HOT as it helps the lube penetrate inbetween the chain links and O / X rings. I have used Motorex Chain Lube 622 Strong ( never WD40 ) the last few years as it resists fling very well, goes on white and has a convenient mini sized travel can which I refill direct from the Large can inbetween long trips. :thumbsup:

9. Ghost_Rider

Ghost_Rider Active Member

United States
    Map
    +1

Always best to lube a chain when it is hot/warm from "just after" a ride. The lube penetrates and flows much easier.

Only think I would add to his list is to wipe off the excess with a rag.

10. mello dude

mello dude Administrator

United States
    Map
    Yeah 500 - 700 miles is good. If I'm a real slacker I've gone 1200, but that's tops.

2 weeks? Maybe your chain is just drenched with lube. You probly could wait a while before doing it again.

BTW - since you are a noob....
    link
    http://vfrworld.com/forums/mechanics-garage/13765-chain-lubrication-beginner.html

MD

11. xeipher

xeipher New Member

Thanks guys. The infor really helps. Will stick to option 1, and 375~400 mile mark.

Mello-dude: Thanks for the link. Did the stuff you said, I guess I was a bit eager in getting the lube in there, and the chain was definitely not hot. Did it first thing in the morning.

Xeipher.

12. MiddleAgeCrazy

MiddleAgeCrazy New Member

Map
    Have you ever noticed every fricckin' can of chain lube you have ever seen jas the words " Won't fling off" somewhere on it?

I found S-100 was good at getting lube off rear wheel. It's a little spendy and I have tried lots of over the counter stuff too, with mixed results.

IMHO WD-40 is not great for chains, too gritty and doesn't promote smooth rolling.

13. vfrcapn

vfrcapn Member

United States
    Map
    If your lube is getting between the o/x ring seals and links, wouldn't that be a good indication the seals are shot along with the chain? If your lube is getting in the factory lube must be leaking out = chain is toasted. :confused:

14. kingsley

kingsley New Member

Canada
    Map
    I went from 90w gear oil (as in the manual - yuk!!) to Honda lube to Maxima Chain wax. It has been working well and doesn't fling or look messy.

ride
    clean (motul chain clean)
    dry
    spray wax
    sit

ride.

PS maybe I'm wierd, but I like the smell of the spray wax

15. John451

John451 Member

Australia
    OK got me, I really do not know if the oil penetrates past the O / X rings but my chain and sprockets are always in good order and as insurance replaced a little earlier than necessary.

The lubing of mostly the inside of your chain an a little on the outside while the chain is Hot was just what I was taught early on as good practice by experienced mates who were amateur racers in the late '80s early '90s, whether the oil is actually drawn into my chain past my X rings I truely cannot see but below " How To " link on chain maintenance seems sensible and close to what I understand as good for the chains life including using Kero to clean with.

" How To " on chain maintenance:
    .: Motorcycle Chain Maintenance | Canyon Chasers Motorcycle Sport Touring :.

16. jetdoc

jetdoc New Member

i have had an 02 750 nighthawk and an 04 SV1000Swith chains. I use the method Honda calls out in their manual. Every 500 miles I clean the chain with kerosene on a rag. You don't have to scrub it and it takes off all the grime. Then I spray it with chain wax. I can't remember the brand, but it's called chain wax. It stays on, protects the chain, and does not fly off all over the wheel.
    Cheers
    John.

17. Mainjet

Mainjet New Member

United States
    Map
    Chain Wax ya.

18. bitterpil

bitterpil New Member

United States
    Map
    Ride get the chain warm then lube and put bike away. Use Bel-ray chain lube (wht) and it will not fling off (all that much if any). For minimal fling but good protection use Honda Pro Lube red can.

Ride, Warm chain, lube, put away.

19. IA-Mike

IA-Mike New Member

I have heard that the problem with WD-40 is that it can attack the rubber in the o-rings. If you look at the cans of chain lube many say 'safe for o-ring chains'. My guess is that a lot of the older types also caused the o-rings to fail.

I've been using PJ-1 wax and let it dry overnight. It does smell pretty bad until it drys. I rode over 5,000mi. without having to adjust the chain. In the old days chains may last just 8,000mi.

I got kind of spoiled from my belt-drive Buell. Didn't have to touch it for 50,000mi. No lube mess either.

20. CandyRedRC46

CandyRedRC46 Member

United States
    Map
    if it doesnt fling off, youre not going fast enough... lol
    i did all the above with spray on wax you know the one that says, "wont fling off" lol
    let sit an hour wiped dry, i even let it idle in top gear for a couple minutes and wiped again. with all wax flung off on the ground i didnt think there was any left to get on my bike. nope i just got up to boca and theres shit all over my back wheel. FML lol