Check out my super tall handlebars, rivaling those of the Jap Police. Cheap too!

Discussion in '5th Generation 1998-2001' started by J-Wes, Dec 1, 2012.

1. J-Wes

J-Wes New Member

I found a list of other bikes with 41mm forks and the Councours bars looked much taller, so I got a set of them with Hunter Flatbars installed from Ebay with risers. Regular Concours bars (without flatbars or risers) design amazingly didn't change from '86-'06. Every STOCK hose, cable, and wires will need rerouted along the sides or on top of the forks, but all the stock stuff will work! The front brake line is the taughtest, but still has enough play/slack so it's not damaging. Since I got risers, I had to drop the forks down in the triple clamps about an inch so that the risers & bars would sit flat on top of the tubes and top triple clamp. I had to trim the windscreen slightly for the clutch and brake reservoirs to clear at full lock; I tilted the brake & clutch handle downward a tad too, but I seem to like it better! I had to add a small spacer for the brake & clutch control clamps so they'd clear the vertical part of the bars, see pic, no big deal. The positioning tabs for the banjo bolts need cut off so the angles can be adjusted. I had to drill four holes in my top triple clamp, then tap them, then drill a hole for the lil "nipple" under the throttle assembly so it doesn't rotate around the bars. I like the Hunter Flatbars now that I made a "throttle rocker" (see pics), but I don't think they're worth the hassle or expense (if they're even still in business, I couldn't get an email reply).

It was a weekend-long experiment, but well worth it. These super high bars made it feel like a COMPLETELY different bike; I'm upright and my head is higher, I can see more and feel safer, and my wrists and hands are pain free on long rides. Hope this helps somebody! :) let me know if you decide to do your own. Cheers!

update: one of the threads stripped out during an accidental drop, so I used a .25" J-bolt (about 6" long, but could trim off the access) in its place. The J went upside down where the J part hooked one the bottom outer edge of the triple clamp and the nut (and washer) went on top of the handlebar.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 25, 2015
  2. rbednar

rbednar New Member

United States
    Map
    Looks like a good solution - and a great price too. Are those stock from a Concours? What year?

3. PorscheBob

PorscheBob New Member

United States
    Map
  4. ridervfr

ridervfr Member

Belgium
    Map
    Was out running in NJ in the middle of the winter and was in a bumble-fuck town at a resevouir and ran into an older gentleman with a "at the time - CBR 900 rigged up for his motorcycle knee" We both had thermal riding suits on with electrics (Mental Patients.)

He rigged up his rear brake to use with his heel instead of the ball of his right foot. He also cobbled some abrortion lexan fairing on the fairing of his Fireblade aka cbr 900...

I sit on my third gen honda now and feel its like a Lincoln (Ford guy) :flip: when i get to be 80 years 0ld I might wanna get different clip-0ns.

I got a stock OEM replacement clip on from an Ebay UK listing that got shipped to me in less than a week! :thumbsup: I rode my turd for ova-18 years with a bent right clip on! .... Its all good though...I love the old Concours btw...Safe riding...

5. J-Wes

J-Wes New Member

Thanks guys!
    Rbednar, yes, they are stock and as I said in my post, they are the same design from '86-'06. I think I remember seeing in my research that low & high bar designs were made for the Concours, but I never saw any low ones. The newer ones are drastically different, they don't even wrap around the fork tubes IIRC.

PorscheBob, yep, those are on my list. I was thinking about making my own tall windscreen with some 1/16" poly carbonate (easy to form and will never crack). I can't find whether the Givi is polycarbonate or not, my acrylic double bubble just cracked :/

RiderVFR, that's an interesting brake set-up and Lexan fairings would be sweet! You could paint the insides and put lighting behind em.

My current project is an undertail muffler made from scratch. From the last pic, you catch a glimpse of how I've reworked & trimmed my tail section; pics to follow upon completion.

6. Dainius_M

Dainius_M New Member

Lithuania
    Map
    very Ugly...

7. meaulnes29

meaulnes29 New Member

hi from France,good job

hi from France,good job. I want upper handlebars for my RC46 anniversary 1999 and I like your idear.
    Can you tel us, from witch motocycle do you used the bars?
    best regards
    sorry for my bad school english
    Meaulnes

8. Badbilly

Badbilly Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!

United States
    Chopper till ya dropper. Not quite ape hangers so how bout monkey bars?

9. J-Wes

J-Wes New Member

Meaulnes, they came from a Kawasaki Concours, years 1986 - 2006. See if you can interpret my original text, that should answer all of your questions.

10. ridervfr

ridervfr Member

Belgium
    Map
    ^ I second what the Lithuanian said above. He has a funny avitar too...

11. meaulnes29

meaulnes29 New Member

concour = gtr

thank I understand, the concour is name Kawasaki GTR in France. I will see if I could find old bars on the net...See you later

12. mhaas

mhaas New Member

Funny to find this. I discovered matching bars while stripped down my 01 Connie after total wreck. Control hardware was my only concern. But now I will follow up. The 2k VFR is Connie's replacement. Reasonable $ hard bags will be fun.

13. meaulnes29

meaulnes29 New Member

IMG_3473.jpg
    ABM system

14. meaulnes29

meaulnes29 New Member

IMG_3470.jpg
    I tried Helibars but I wasn't sastisfied so I put on the ABM its the same that the 600 cbr a bargain in the net . bough it 100 euros the ABM adaptator (112 dolars) + 15 euros (17 dollars) the handlebar =better position

15. mhaas

mhaas New Member

Some mock ups . first is st11 bars on home made adapters. Next is oem gtr bars

Attached Files: