Chicago girl considering a VFR800

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by rebs, Oct 27, 2015.

1. Gator

Gator Insider

United States
    Map
    I mounted one up on my VFR six Gen with no problem.

2. H3nry

H3nry New Member

United States
    Map
    A 190 fits my 2001 VFR and it hardly seems likely Honda would have fitted narrower rims to later models. I run DOT track tires on my VFR on the street as well, and they give a lot of confidence in the twisties. In commute riding, the tires don't really get warm / sticky. It is a good idea to warm them up gently and not dive into your first street corner on cold rubber. <grin> Street wear is in the part of the tread that seldom touches a race track, so tread life is reasonable. Oh, and the tire kickers at your favorite hangout will be impressed that there are no chicken strips. Track days are fun, regardless of what you're flogging, and it's great to do those long pulls from 4 to 12 grand out of a hairpin on a V4.

3. rebs

rebs New Member

United States
    Wow! DOT track tires on the street? How do you ever get them warm? I run Michelin EVO Cups on my track bike and even with tire warmers cranked to max for 30 minutes they are still kinda firm and slippery for the first lap or so, although we are going out hot even in the first lap, so even wtih the race traction control and ABS I still a bit of rear tire slide exiting the apex when throttling hard until they warm better. I am not sure I would trust them but your point about road riding (mostly center) versus track riding.

Speaking of which I need to prep my VFR for the track this coming July. I don't mind leaving body parts on and just taping them on but the coolant needs to be changed to Ice or Water Wetter and I need to wire down my oil plugs and such. Fortunately I am friends with a coach so he'll help me with it. I so do want to get rid of my crappy Dunlop's though before I track my beautiful road bike! I don't think she'll take kindly to me going down on the track.

4. H3nry

H3nry New Member

United States
    Map
    So how often on your commute to work do you rail thru a turn hanging off, knee down, throttle pinned?
    Me neither.

5. rebs

rebs New Member

United States
    LOL. My point exactly when it comes to using a track tire on the road. Also my concern would be heat cycles because most track/race tires only have a known number of heat cycles before they do not grip well anymore.

However, when street riding I still ride in a spirited manner especially when I get far from the city and have some open road to run on. Either way, the Dunlops have slipped on me in spirted road riding where my Metzlers or Michelins in the past have not on a similar class bike, hence my question about what I can put on my VFR.

6. H3nry

H3nry New Member

United States
    Map
    Actually, track tires never get really hot on public roads except maybe around the Rock Store in So Cal. They warm up enough to grip as well as street tires, tho. Heat cycling doesn't seem to be an issue, tho they get hard with time faster than street compounds. I started using race take-offs years ago because I'm cheap and hate to throw away a tire with full tread in the center. The take-offs have turned out to stick as well as street tires. I seldom ride at 100% in the country because of deer, cattle, sand, water, and gravel which tend to be just where they can't be seen at or past the apex of blind turns. Track tires in spirited street riding don't last as long as touring tires, but they'd be tossed out otherwise.

In track use, tires develop a hard crust of baked rubber which is slick until it melts again. In street use, once you scuff thru that crust from racing, the rubber is soft, and it doesn't harden because it doesn't get so hot.

7. rebs

rebs New Member

United States
    Interesting thoughts. I'll keep that in mind when I take off my EVO Cups off my track bike.

8. H3nry

H3nry New Member

United States
    Map
    When I had my VF750C Magna in for inspection last month, the tech looked at the front Pirelli Rosso Corsa which is feathered to the edge, and said "Damm, I didn't know these things would lean over that far!" (and of course, they don't.) LOL

9. rebs

rebs New Member

United States
    Well now that is a different tire than a track only tire. Unlike the Michelin Evo Cup which is a track only tire, the Pirelli Rosso Corsa is a track/street tire, more like the Michelin Evo Supersport that I used to run on my track bike. The Pirelli as well as the Michelin Supersport can be used for both track and street, and different formulations will determine how much track v how much street it is formulated for.

The VFR does lean quite far and nicely as well as even my Dunlops have no chicken strips on them, probably why I am reaching the limits of the grip on an otherwise hard compound.

10. H3nry

H3nry New Member

United States
    Map
    If you're running Evo slicks, then I agree, they won't work on the street. The Magna's front is a Supercorsa SC2, which has a DOT street-legal tread. The VFR has your dreaded Sportmax GPA Pro on it at the moment.

Bear in mind also that they say there are old riders and bold riders. I'm 73, so I'm probably less bold than you are.

11. Gator

Gator Insider

United States
    Map
    Did you see the "old" Kenny Roberts flogging that TZ 750 on the track? Old and bold come to mind.

I have run all sorts of track tires on the road for many years. Just use your head regarding road conditions and tire your running.

12. rebs

rebs New Member

United States
    Oh I would dare to disagree. One of our coaches did not start riding until he was 52 or so and now he is 65 and races also. He is a totally amazing rider!

Regarding the Michelin Evo Cups even the treaded one does not have DOT street legal tread on it.