Cleaning idle enrichment circuit (choke) 96 VFR Gen 4

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by HRCH, Apr 12, 2011.

1. HRCH

HRCH New Member

hello all, I got a 96 Honda VFR from a family member. The bike sat for about 5 years. Yeah I know what you think. But, I did get it to idle pretty good once warmed up. I took apart the carbs to clean the jets (idle, main and needle jet) I didnt have the d shape tool so I left the pilot/air screw alone. The carb jets were very clogged. The bike is very difficult to start when the engine is cold. Once warmed up, and I blip the throttle everything sounds great. However, getting the bike to idle on its own until it warms up is a choir. The choke doesn't seem to do much. Did I miss something? I sprayed carb cleaner everywhere. I also used compressed air. The idle jet is clear and so is the main jet. Taking off the carbs was nuts. I almost walked away from the project as it was crazy tough to remove the carbs from the bike. Anyway, is there a way to clean the idle enrichment circuits without removing the carbs. I really do not want to remove the carbs again. thanks, any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. squirrelman

squirrelman Member

United States
    Map
    You missed cleaning the long brass tubes that draw fuel into the enrichment circuit. Typically, they clog up at the exact point where fuel rests in the carbs, or at about 30mm depth.

You need a stiff steel wire with a diameter between about .010"-.012" to poke into the hole--and keep poking--until that initial blockage is pushed through; then push all the way down to about 55mm.

Compressed air and carb spray are not enough to clear this hole.

Attached Files:

3. HRCH

HRCH New Member

Oh boy........ You are kidding right? Is that the brass tube that is vissible when I had the float bowl off? Do I access cleaning it by removing the rubber black vacuum diaphram? Is that where the vacuum operated high speed needle jet goes in and out If so, I had cleaned that but I only used carburetor cleaner and compressed air. I did not use a guitar string. Please let me know.

thanks

4. HRCH

HRCH New Member

I should have looked at your picture before I posted. But it seems the brass tube you are talking about is the tube right next to the low speed idle jet, about the main jet. No, I do not recall cleaning that with a guitar string. However, I did use carburetor cleaner and compressed air to clean that port.

Thank you

5. squirrelman

squirrelman Member

United States
    Map
    Gotta use wire !

6. HRCH

HRCH New Member

Well, I took the carbs off. Surprisingly the carbs came off with a lot less difficulty this time. So, I took the float covers off and before I cleaned the brass tube I could see I missed it. The tube was tarnished. So, I poked a wire through the tube. At first I felt some resistance, then I noticed the wire went in a lot further. Just about 2-1/4" in the tube. I then blew the tubes with compressed air and some cleaner. Repeated the wire cleaning again. I did this to all four carbs. It's a little late tonite so I will start it up again.

I can't ride it today anyways. The bike will break down as the charging system is not working. I checked the circuit out, all checks well, so it seems like it has a bad voltage regulator. I ohm the regulator as per the shop manual and the regulator failed on one terminal. The stator passed the resistance test. The regulator connector plug (bike side) passed. So I hope I am right, if not I'm not sure where to start. The battery is new.

thanks for your help.

7. HRCH

HRCH New Member

Well, it worked. Thank you so much for pointing me to the right direction. On a cold start the choke works and the engine now has a fast idle when the cholke is on. Thank you again. Also, the bike now charges at 14.2V. I replaced the voltage regulator. I ordered a RM Stator regulator. It was only $70 with free shipping. It came with a good size heat sink.

8. shainsaw2002

shainsaw2002 New Member

Hey there! Ive been having the exact issue with my '86, have cleaned everything out the same way, but my question is what type of wire r u using that is rigid enough to poke thru there? is the opening in the tube tht small? i mean does tht wire have to be between .010" and .012" to work? the only reason im asking is that ive even checked my spare carb set and even a very small needle feels like it is hitting nothing but something solid, not a hole tht should be able to be "poked" through....Squirrelman? are u out there? help please? i have or should i say had a great running bike and now it runs like absolute trash..... always done every repair and its never ever not run like a top... except when i had a phantom cam pulse generator problem... thts wht i get for letting her sit for too long...any help would be appreciated....thanks....

9. squirrelman

squirrelman Member

United States
    Map
    Don't fret, gentle rider, for Squirrelman hears your prayers......

You do need the properly stiff wire in the size recommended, but it may take some experimentation to find the right one.

Key here is to break through the first clog at about 30mm depth. Total depth on a clear tube is about 55mm.

Helps to spray hole with carb cleaner, then start poking or pecking for awhile down the tube until the wire gets fatigued or you do.

I DO have a very special type of wire i use, but i don't know its original source. Some have reported good results using guitar strings.

Maybe some sort of sewing needle would work ??

Another helpful approach to clear the tubes is an attack from above: you'd need to remove the choke plungers by unscrewing the brass bits and spray carb cleaner into the 2 holes in the cavity. Probably you'd still need to poke wire.

Tell you what......if you tell me a true story about squirrels you've observed..,..and send me a stampted, self-addressed envelope + $2 cash, you'll be the first to get a small supply of my SPECIAL wire, so how's that sound?

Last edited: Jul 10, 2011
  10. shainsaw2002

shainsaw2002 New Member

Funny stuff, btw.... had a squirrel sit on my bow in my lap last hunting season.... he had no clue i wasnt the tree he was in.... till i said "boo" and he shot out in the air like a rocket.... was hilarious... another add to the last question, from the bottom when i insert the wire, it only goes in 3/8 ths of an inch (in every hole, on both sets of my carbs/ second set is a parts set and i used it for a reference)... should i just expect to bore my way through? cant imagine from this starting point tht i have another inch or so to go.... funny tht ive never needed to attempt to clean this out before, but then again for as bad as the rest of the jets were and i have no choke function, idle, etc., and good spark, im left with not a lot of other possibilities... i'll give it a few more tries, and if you hear a faint yelling from the northern minnesota direction, you'll know its me still trying...i'll buzz you if i'm relegated to the use of your "special" wire.....ha ha...

11. squirrelman

squirrelman Member

United States
    Map
    Thanks for the amusing squirrel story !!

If you have an air compressor you can check condition of enrichment pickup tubes by blowing into plunger hole and feeling or listening for air emerging from tube. Also, oil or carb spray dripped into the tubes should flow and disappear within a few seconds if they're clear.

12. donald branscom

donald branscom New Member

Map
    You can also use .008-.010 piano wire.
    It is a very stiff steel wire used for radio controlled model airplanes.Hobby shops.

But the electric guitar steel strings can be bought individually and you can cut them in pieces. I recommend the .oo8.

13. squirrelman

squirrelman Member

United States
    Map
    Good wire info, Don, but the larger the wire (as long as it's not over .012") the stronger, right ??

14. shainsaw2002

shainsaw2002 New Member

I've got all the .010" guitar strings at home but am at the cabin for the summer... will try tht when i get back there... got it running, btw... not so stellar on performance, but its a start... now have to figure out where all the "bobbles" came from throught the RPM range...thanks for the help fellas, great to know theres help when you need it!