Clutch chatter noise question

Discussion in '6th Generation 2002-2013' started by rocket10r, Aug 22, 2012.

1. rocket10r

rocket10r New Member

First let me say Hello! Just bought a 2003 VFR with 33k miles on it about a month ago. I have ridden many bikes over the years and have done alot of track days and CCS racing years ago, but I can say that I love this bike. More comfort than I am used to but one very fun bike to ride!

I am getting used to a few things and some noises on the bike and do not know of they are normal or not. With the bike running and out of gear with the clutch lever not touched the clutch box makes a chattering noise, but as soon as I pull the clutch lever in the noise is gone? When riding there is no sliipage in the clutch or anything wrong that I can detect, just the noise. Can anyone tell me if this is normal or what a problem may be. Thanks for any help, just want to catch something before it may be a problem.

2. dogman

dogman New Member

Australia
    Map
    Its normal to have some noise, but it depends on the severity.
    Every Honda I've ever had has done it to some degree. Its usually worse when the engine is hot, and a lot of the noise comes from gear backlash in the gearbox as the gears are unloaded and the engine when idling doesnt run at a constant speed over a crankshaft cycle but is constantly accelerating and decelerating due to low crankshaft mass.
    If you put the bike in gear and let out the cluch slowly until it starts to take up the noise should go, but this doesn't prove anything as a worn cluch basket will exhibit the same symptoms.
    A slightly heavier oil such as !0w50 semi synthetic may help if it is hot where you live.

3. V4 Dude

V4 Dude New Member

I"ve noticed a little bit of clutch chatter on my bike and I got it with 800 miles on it, now it has 7000. The clutch noise has been there the whole time I've owned the bike so I expected it was just a normal noise from the engine when the bike is in neutral.

4. Alfadiablo

Alfadiablo New Member

Gibraltar
    Map
    Clutch Noise

Same thing happens to my 5th Gen VFR 800. Garage says its pretty normal and the change to 10 50w oil may be the culprit, but will not cause any damage.

5. Durk

Durk New Member

Thanks for the info on this thread when I first went to look at my VFR the clutch chatter was very noticeable. The bike had sat awhile. I rode it around and didn't notice any slipping or other issues. Since I've been riding it regularly it has gone done somewhat. The bike also has the original clutch fluid in it I'm planning on putting fresh fluid in it once riding season is over.

6. tinkerinWstuff

tinkerinWstuff Administrator Staff Member

United States
    Map
    sync of throttle body. Just a 1/8-1/4 turn off on one of the sync screws will cause a chatter in the clutch. The worse it's out of sync, eventually the V4 starts to sound like it has a bad rod bearing.