Clutch replacement

Discussion in '6th Generation 2002-2013' started by xpcgamer, Dec 4, 2019.

1. xpcgamer

xpcgamer New Member

United States
    So after 26k miles I have been feeling my clutch slip. I just purchased OE organic,steel and springs. Do you guys replace the cover gasket or do you use sealant?

2. bk94si

bk94si Member

United States
    I use both. A gasket with some sealant smeared on it.

3. xpcgamer

xpcgamer New Member

United States
    Ah well. Dealer tomorrow to see if they got it in stock. If not Partzilla again I guess.

4. GreginDenver

GreginDenver New Member

United States
    Map
    Why not do it the way Honda wants you to do it?

1. Use the correct gasket.
    2. Apply RTV (room temperature vulcanizing) silicone rubber sealant to the area where the crankcase halves mate together.

I know you have a 6th Gen bike, but in Chapter 1 of my 1998-2001 Honda VFR800FI Interceptor Service Manual in the chapter-section entitled "Lubrication and Seal Points" there is this drawing:

Screen Shot 2019-12-04 at 7.48.18 PM.png

This drawing is directing you to apply Three Bond 1207B (which is just high-quality RTV silicone rubber) to small areas across and on either side of the point where the two halves of the crankcase mate together.

Just pointing out the fact that there's no reason to smear RTV all over the place. It's unnecessary and makes a mess (both on the inside and outside of the engine).

Last edited: Dec 4, 2019
  5. Terry Smith

Terry Smith Member

New Zealand
    Map
    Because I didn't read the manual I never bothered with sealant in those areas, and even greased the gasket so that if I needed to remove it again it might hopefully come off cleanly without tearing. All good after 20,000km on my 99 VFR800. And who even needs a new clutch at 26000miles??? Are you using the right oil?

6. GreginDenver

GreginDenver New Member

United States
    Map
    The RTV sealant at the case joints is just a precaution. If (on your bike) the casting of the engine cases happens to produce a perfect joint there's no need for sealant. They (the individual castings) vary and some are better (more accurately finished) than others.

Since I became the owner of two VFRs (and replaced the clutches on both of them) I've been impressed with the quality of the Honda castings and the machining. The crankcase halves on my VFRs definitely mate up with more precise edges than they do on my Kawasaki or my Suzuki.

Thumbs likes this.
  7. xpcgamer

xpcgamer New Member

United States
    I first noticed the clutch spilling a little under hard acceleration top of 2nd and 3rd. Oil has been changed and after a few more hundred miles I am feeling it get a bit worse. I ordered the gasket from my dealer last week. Just waiting for it to come in. I'll use the method from the Manual. I have the same sealant I used to seal the oil pan on my MV Agusta.

8. Marc O

Marc O New Member

United States
    I have to agree with you on replacing a clutch with only 26K miles, until I experienced clutch slippage in higher gears on my '03 with 24K miles. I took ownership at 18.5K, so who knows how the previous 2 owners rode the VFR. Inspection revealed an extremely worn 2nd to last outer friction disc and springs were less than spec. Slippage attributed weak springs ? New EBC springs were about 30% stronger than the worn OEM springs, using a scale and drill press as a gage. Recommend replacing springs after years/mileage when lever feels too easy.