Cold Track Day Questions...

Discussion in 'Racing & Track Days' started by NeverlosT, Apr 15, 2008.

1. NeverlosT

NeverlosT New Member

I have to drain my antifreeze and replace it with water to ride the track next friday. This is New England, the track is Loudon in New Hampshire. It is still 28 degrees at night around here! :eek:
    I do NOT want to put water in my coolant bottle and engine and have that thing freeze up. In my eyes, that would not be much fun. Furthermore, the term "cold tires" doesnt seem to cover how hard the rubber and cold the track is going to be next friday... assuming it doesnt rain... :rolleyes:

Any tips from those who have more experience? I dont have big dollars to spend on those tire warmer doo-daas, and the trailer I will be bringing the bike in is an open top uhaul bike trailer...:confused:

Thanks for the help!!

2. Bubba Zanetti

Bubba Zanetti Member

United States
    Map
    If you have street tires you don't need tire warmers.

If its cold out I would start your tire pressures at 35 psi if its 70 degrees or under.

As far as changing the coolant, can you do it the morning before the track day begins? Say an hour before tech inspection?

What organization are you running with?

My 2 cents, Hopefully others will chime in like Tori, Taz, Puma, etc.

Take it easy your first 2-3 laps before you start to push too!
    Lets you and your tires warm up.

Have fun!

BZ

3. MrJoelieC

MrJoelieC New Member

Map
    Hey NeverLost I will see you up there... I'm not going on the track unfortunately, but I will be there filming and taking photos my 2 buddies that will be there and another friend might be working turn 3 I will be riding the VFR up too if the weather holds... I willc heck with Jay he has done it a few years if they are still stickling to the "No ANtifreeze" I had heard they got lenient on that But I will double check...

Riding in cold weather in NH is pretty much my life... you will be amazed how quick your rubber will heat up though as long as you are carefull your first couple of laps since you should be using regular street tires...

Tell you what.... go to http://www.beerdrinkersunited.com join up and start a thread in our new motorcycling forums (In fact I might now) for this coming event... Hoss is a member there and it's his second time but we both know people to ask... Hoss rode his Triumph Daytona last year but bought an 03 R6 for a track a day bike.... CaseyCarp bough a brand new CBR 600rr that he wants to getused to...

I was hopoing to do it as well but my funds to buy gear ran dry I needed Helmet, boots, and a suit/jacket and other things and suddenly I had to replace the "family truckster."

4. sbk12rs

sbk12rs New Member

Who are you doing the day with ?
    Most track day groups don't require you to dump your fluid .
    I'm doing Tony's dates the 28/29th of April .

5. NeverlosT

NeverlosT New Member

Im doing it with Penguin racing school on the 25th. I called them and they told me I can use pink "RV" antifreeze since I guess it isnt as slippery. So I guess I will swap mine out with the pink stuff. I have heard though that different antifreezes can have bad effects on engine gaskets, Aluminum pieces, and hoses, anyone have input there?