Concerned about chain

Discussion in 'General VFR Discussions' started by risgett, Apr 24, 2014.

1. risgett

risgett New Member

Map
    Quick question guys. I'm heading to the mountains tomorrow for a weekend of riding and I'm concerned about my chain. I'm pretty sure it's the original chain and sprockets(bike had 4k miles when I bought it and the guy didn't mention anything about ever replacing them) and I have 21k miles on it currently. I probably fall into the middle of the road as far as chain maintenance....meaning I keep it lubed fairly regularly, but I'm not anal about it. So my question is, should I be worried about it breaking on this trip? It's gonna be 170 miles there, few hundred miles of riding while there and then the return trip...600-800 miles total probably. My buddy that I'm going with rides a harley so it's not like I'm gonna be riding 9/10ths or anything, but I will be occasionally riding spirited. I've never had a chain break, but I've heard horror stories about chains breaking and tearing up the bike, riders leg, etc... Should I be concerned, or do you think I'm ok for this trip?

2. mofo

mofo New Member

United States
    Map
    I'd check the chain for kinks and missing O-rings. If none of those is an issue just lube and adjust and you should be fine.

3. OOTV

OOTV Insider

Something like this is hard to say without seeing the chain. IMO, as long as you have been lubing it and maintaining it's proper tension, my guess is that you should be OK, but that's not to say it won't break due to age and/or fatigue. Do a physical inspection of the chain and see if there are any links that are "binding" or "loose" (i.e. wiggly side to side, or front to back), this will tell you more than we can and should end any doubt about it's condition. A well maintained chain can go quite a few miles but not every chain is made the same and not every maintenance method can prevent it from breaking. Maintenance only allows it to live up to it's full life span. That being said, if you're at all worried still even after inspecting the chain, just replace it and end the worrying. If you do end up replacing the chain, probably be good to replace the sprockets at the same time, especially with the number of miles on them. Worn sprockets with a new chain doesn't do the chain much good.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2014
  4. nearfreezing

nearfreezing New Member

United States
    Map
    You almost certainly have the OEM chain, since there's almost no chance it would have been replaced with less than 4k mi. Chain life varies but tends to be 15-20k mi.

Have you adjusted the chain yet? Seems that most people can adjust the chain once or twice before it needs to be replaced. Without seeing the sprockets/chain and knowing if the chain has tight spots, it's hard to say whether the chain/sprockets needs to be replaced immediately.

5. Pliskin

Pliskin New Member

United States
    Map
    Yea, what they said. Check it over. Look at the sprockets. If replacing before your trip is not an option, consider a thorough cleaning and full lube job. And bring lube with you. (For the chain - not the Harley rider). Keep it lubed. I used to do mine every 300 miles or so. Maybe a bit overkill, but I can't see it doing any damage.

6. 34468 Randy

34468 Randy Secret Insider

Canada
    Map
    It appears you are not that familiar with the mechanics of a chain. Lots of great advice here. No doubt that your chain (and sprockets) are creeping up on replacement time anyways. I assume you will be having a shop do the change? If so, I would just take it to them, tell them of your trip and ask if they thought the chain would stand up to the trip. Then hope you get an honest answer.

I would be inclined to replace given its age and your intended trip.

7. Scubalong

Scubalong Official Greeter?

United States
    Well said all above comments
    If you not comfortable then replace them.
    On my Cabo trip in December My chain. sprocket and tires are good but for peace of mind I change them all new so I can enjoy the trip
    Instead of paranoise......:rolleyes:

8. risgett

risgett New Member

Map
    Yea, dealer doesn't have the parts in stock and I don't have time to order them by tomorrow. So I'll inspect it really good, lube it(the chain, not the harley rider) and hope for the best. Thanks for all the input guys!

9. 34468 Randy

34468 Randy Secret Insider

Canada
    Map
    Like pliskin suggested, I would give it a thorough cleaning before a good lube. Clean out the gunk firts. Dupont has a great chain degreeser and I love their Chain Saver lube too. Clean and very little fling.

10. Badbilly

Badbilly Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!

United States
    If y'all are going to Brokeback Mountain, lube the harleydood.

11. Gator

Gator Insider

United States
    Map
    Chain should be fine, your friends Harley is what I'd worry about.

12. soloii-74

soloii-74 New Member

United States
    Map
    :tsk: Oh man, BB, that's wrong, just wrong..... :puke:

:pound:
    :pop2:

13. Motleyfan

Motleyfan New Member

United States
    I just bought 25th anniv. VIN #00259. Checking on chain issues. I'm getting a tight and loose slack in the rear drive chain. Same spot on the rear sprocket where it gets tight. Only has 5100 miles on it but I think I'm going to change the chain and sprockets tjust to make sure.

Nick

14. Scubalong

Scubalong Official Greeter?

United States
    Hola Nick good to see you return :wave:

15. sunofwolf

sunofwolf New Member

United States
    I would get a Gold 520 chain with a rating of 1200cc or more and get a sidewinder TI rear spocket and a chrome moly front spocket.:stickhorse:

16. FMB42

FMB42 New Member

Chains and sprockets are cheap compared to the damage they can cause to you and/or your bike if you happen to throw the chain.

Proper adjustment/maintenance and periodic (quality) replacement is, of course, key to avoiding such damage.

17. Y2Kviffer

Y2Kviffer Insider

United States
    Map
    Put it up on the centerstand and spin the wheel by hand, watch and listen. Then start the bike, put in gear and let it idle a minute....if there are any kinks you will know quick. If all looks good, clean, lube and ride. Plan on replacing after the trip!