Considering a vfr, what's all this "gen" stuff?

Discussion in 'General VFR Discussions' started by rich stone, Feb 23, 2018.

1. rich stone

rich stone New Member

United States
    Looking for a sport tour bike and the vfr is about the only bike that might fill the bill. Besides comfort I need good range between gas stops.

From what I,ve seen older vfr,s are very affordable, and I really don,t care how old the bike is if its in good condition.

Are any years better than others or to be avoided? And how does the "generation" relate to model year.
    Thanks
    Rich

2. Lint

Lint Member

United States
    Map
    Okay, to answer your second question first. VFRs were made for groups of certain years. I'm unfamiliar with she's prior to 1998-2001, but that generation is considered the 5th gen, for short. 6th gen, 2002-2009 (USA). 7th gen, VFR1200, 8th gen, 2014-2015 Interceptor.

As far as which bike is best, that's really a personal thing. Looks, how it feels riding, how comfortable you are fixing things, etc. Obviously, older bikes need more upkeep typically. Or, at least work to get into ship shape.

For myself personally, I really love the way my 99 rides and handles. I love the way the 6th gen looks.

3. GreginDenver

GreginDenver New Member

United States
    Map
    Your search here is already over, VFRs don't have a very impressive fuel range. And the later Gens (5th, 6th, 7th) make it worse by having a very pessimistic/alarmist fuel gauge.

Besides that info, the best Gen is the 5th Gen. Lighter weight than previous Gens, improved ergonomics, Honda PGM FI (no fiddle-fighting with carbs), it's the last Gen to have the glorious sounding and essentially maintenance free gear-driven camshafts, redesigned frame with engine mounted swinging arm rear suspension, a very road-friendly Honda linked braking system (track-day and racing guys hate it but most people like it), Powder-metal-matrix composite cylinder sleeves that are low-friction and extremely stable, they never wear out, and the list goes on...

The 5th Gen makes the best noises: The gear-driven camshaft drive is mounted outboard of the cylinders on the right-hand side of the engine (rather than being buried in between the cylinders as on the previous Gens) so you get a lot more of that wonderful straight-cut gear whine. Then there's the unique "mini-V8" exhaust sound that the 180-degree crankshaft V-4 produces. And finally, there's a two-stage induction system in the intake airbox with a good sounding "intake honk" while under 7,000 RPM that graduates to heavenly when the second track opens after 7,000 (once again, this is another feature that the track-day and racing guys don't like, so they remove the flapper from the second track, but I truly enjoy it).

Last edited: Feb 23, 2018
  4. squirrelman

squirrelman Member

United States
    Map
    GOOD ADVICE imho: Buy the newest bike you can afford ;)

5. GreginDenver

GreginDenver New Member

United States
    Map
    Here's another take on that advice:

Buy the newest bike you can afford (if you never learned anything about engines or vehicle maintenance and/or if you're unwilling to do maintenance and upkeep on a motorcycle, or if you're unwilling to pay somebody to do maintenance and upkeep on your motorcycle).

6. squirrelman

squirrelman Member

United States
    Map

Agreed ! Assuming he's prepared to maintain it then...........

So the alternative is to decide if the buyer is carb-averse since a carbed VFR is cheaper on the market and alot easier to work on and stretches to models up to 1997, bikes very similar to the newest bikes........except for expensive improvements you may not need.

IMHO one of the finest rides available now used for the most reasonable price is a Gen4 VFR. Hold up well with miles and a real sportbike. Less computer-designed looking than newer VFRs.

11-28-16 096.JPG

Last edited: Feb 26, 2018
    Samuel, Mind_Surfer and scottbott like this.
  7. hondaman219

hondaman219 New Member

United States
    Map
    I love the 3rd gen the best. It was the first with the single sided swing arm. The were only made 90-93 so they are rare and parts are hard to find. White was one year only 1993. I get many comments on my bike. I have also had strangers ask me if I wanted to sell it. Hard to believe its 25 years old now. Still runs like a top. Thats honda engineering for you. Any of the vfr models will serve you well. It all comes to your personal preference. Be aware the older the bike the harder it is to find parts for it. White body parts for my bike are almost non-existent. God help me if I drop it. The gear driven cams makes an intoxicating noise when paired with after market exhaust. Well hope this helps. Good luck in your search for your VFR 20170430_091603.jpg

Here is a short video of the bike

Last edited: Feb 24, 2018
    irishrOy, Samuel and Mind_Surfer like this.
  8. fink

fink Member

United Kingdom
    Map
    The gen thing is an Americanism at its best.

It basically means its the next evolution of the bike/ facelift . The original VFR was first released in 1986 the model designation is F followed by another letter which denotes the production year. Ie FG was 1986 so would have been a VFR 750 FG where as a 1995 would have been a VFR750 FS. A 1998 Fi model would have been a VFR800FIW (I being injection) . A 2000 Vtec would have been a VFR800A2 , an 03 VFR800A3. A denoting ABS, if it wasn't equipped it was a VFR8002 . Had the generic name of Interceptor in the USA The RC part relates to the engine.

The engine was changed from gear driven to cam chain when the Vtec was released.

9. Zeta

Zeta New Member

United States
    Just to give you somewhat of a price guide...i bought a 4900 mile Gen 8 deluxe with bar risers, frame sliders ($6200), added: new z8's, Shad luggage (side bags and top case and mounts), total in for ~$7500 tax, title, everything. I do not believe there are many ST's out there that can do what the VFR can do, especially for the price. Shop around--there are great bargains on newer bikes.

10. rich stone

rich stone New Member

United States
    I,m more confusedconfused now. I am a mechanic with a small shop, do all my own work, and am not afraid of carbs, and love the white bike.

Someone said they do not get good milage, what is a reasonable numbers of miles to the tank on the hiway?

11. fink

fink Member

United Kingdom
    Map
    It depends on how wide you open the throttle.

Generally around 200 miles to a tank.

12. fink

fink Member

United Kingdom
    Map
  13. GatorGreg

GatorGreg Honda Fanboy/LitiGator

United States
    Map
    Viffer J likes this.
  14. hondaman219

hondaman219 New Member

United States
    Map
    0730171457a.jpg Fuel mileage......who cares........Its a hell of lot less to fill up my bike then my car. If I wanted fuel mileage I would drive a prius. Drive it like it was designed to be used. I ride because I love the ability to do things that I just can't do in a car. Its not just getting A to B its the RIDE itself. Enjoy the ride.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2018
  15. Brian Boyer

Brian Boyer New Member

United States
    Map
    All generations great bikes,.. find one you like and jump on in,.. they ALL have cool features other generations don't etc,.. and all of them kick ass. Get one.

16. Bubba Utah

Bubba Utah Member

Map
    Has anyone done this mod. He did nothing to explain it or if so I could not see a link of the actual install. I know that Gator Gregg looked at it and commented. But I want it. Since my simple non technical add cause a failure and blew my fuses. Let me know. Thanks.

17. rich stone

rich stone New Member

United States
    fuel milage is an issue when you live in nebraska and need to ride 1100 miles to get to some good roads to have fun. I tend to average 800 mile days when traveling. Either on a Norton with a 6.6 gal. tank or the vstrom.

18. GreginDenver

GreginDenver New Member

United States
    Map
    In defense of the VFR's cruising range, it could be worse...

Take a look at this spec-sheet for the new 2018 Harley Davidson Sportster Forty Eight:

https://www.harley-davidson.com/us/...r/forty-eight/detailed-specs-and-pricing.html

Did you notice the fuel tank capacity on this bike? What would the cruising range be for a 1200cc motorcycle with a 2.1 gallon fuel tank? If you believe the fuel MPG on this spec sheet (48 MPG) this bike's maximum cruising range will only be about 100 miles total.

Can you believe this configuration exists? And that somehow it sells?

19. OOTV

OOTV Insider

Looks like it's meant for bar hopping. I see plenty of those style of bikes parked outside the bars here in OC.

As far as the VFR goes, on both my 5 and 6 gens, I've get about 200 on the average out of most tanks. On the 6 Gen I average 40MPG, and that's with a slightly modified package, Power commander (now a Rapid Bike), Two Brothers Can, K&N air filter (now a Piper Cross) and PAIR removal. On the 5 Gen, still in transition of mods, so essentially stock other than aftermarket air filter, I was able to go from Atascadero to Los Alamitos, that was a 230 mile stint but with a lot of crossing my fingers that I'd reach a gas station. That being said, I think I had about 1/8 of a tank left when I gassed up! On this bike, I have been getting an average of 48MPG! . Again mostly stock at the moment.

20. Big_Jim59

Big_Jim59 Member

United States
    Map
    Buy the newest bike you can afford with a caveat, try to get a bike with a few mods. When it comes to VFRs a few mods go a long way toward making them more comfortable and usable. I have Hele bars, Sargent's seat and lowered pegs and they make all the difference in the world. It is an all day rider.

BTW, I love my 5th Gen more than my 6th Gen. I get 40+ MPG.

Zeta likes this.