Conti Road Attack - Sport Mileage

Discussion in '6th Generation 2002-2013' started by JBzRed07, Jan 16, 2010.

1. JBzRed07

JBzRed07 New Member

Well, I just couldn't tolerate it any longer - the Michelin Pilot Road 2CT (front tire) and its tendencies to slip and slide in turns; all of this discovered within the first 1,000 miles. I am glad to see that others here on VFRW have had success by swapping their (front tire) Pilot Road 2CT out and then replacing it with the Pilot POWER 2CT. Please do realize that I have had zero problems with the rear tire, the Pilot Road 2CT - since it apparently does what it's supposed to --- it grips!

Furthermore, the poor performance of the Michelin Pilot Road 2CT (front tire) on my 2007 6th Gen just about killed my rider confidence in recent weeks, with its seemingly-unpredictable road contact characterisic. Lightly pushing this tire (warmed up) into a turn - on a blacktop road that is partially scattered with tar snakes - and you'll quickly discover just how much voluntary or involuntary control you have over your bowels. Fortunately for me, I didn't need a fresh pair of cotton.

The Michelin Pilot Road 2CT 'front tire' might be a decent tire for some motorcycles; but as for a 6th Gen, and based on my experience so far, I would NOT recommend it.

So, instead of swapping my front tire out with a Michelin Pilot Power 2CT, which would most likely resolve the issue, I chose to go with a different brand/set of tires altogether - this time, the "Continental Road Attacks - Sport Mileage". From what I've read about the Conti's (positive editorial reviews as well as positive rider feedback), I am once again looking forward to experiencing a renewed and restored confidence-inspiring ride.

Correction: Here's the correct photo....

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 17, 2010
  2. ZonaMan

ZonaMan New Member

+1 on the road attacks. On my fourth set. 7-9000 miles consistently. ENJOY!

3. karazy

karazy New Member

Canada
    Map
    Those are actually the sport attacks, which are quite different from the road attacks. They will provide better grip, but will not last as long and will tend to get the flat spot much faster, if slab driving. It is still a good tire, just more on the sport side, than the touring side.
    :crazy:

4. JBzRed07

JBzRed07 New Member

Continental Conti Road Attack-Sport Mileage Radial:
    ■High-performance sport touring radial
    ■Offers the mileage of a sport-touring radial with the grip of a high-performance sport radial
    ■0 degree high-impact, steel belt construction delivers the highest levels of grip, high-speed stability, control and comfort
    ■Unique tread design compliments the sleek look of today’s modern bikes

Vs.

Continental Conti Sport Attack- Radial Tire
    ■Engineered to meet the demands of today's high performance sport bikes
    ■Zero degree steel belt spooled onto a rayon base construction delivers the highest possible levels of grip, high-speed stability and control
    ■Exceptionally quick warm-up time
    ■Ultra high-performance level for track day sessions
    ■Continuous-Compound Technology is shared from the Conti Race Attack product line

Apparently, a lot of the 'Conti' motorcycle tires share that "Conti Attack" stamp? It did take me a little research in order to ensure that I chose the correct tire. I can't wait to try em' out.

5. JBzRed07

JBzRed07 New Member

6. bitterpil

bitterpil New Member

United States
    Map
    The tread pattern in your original post looks like the Sport Attack tread Vs. the Road Attack tread pattern. The link you supplied shows this difference. Perhaps they show a different tread pattern than actual in the pics on the web or they shipped you the sport attack by mistake.

I think you will be happy with any of the Conti tires though

7. JBzRed07

JBzRed07 New Member

Yeah, I haven't received them yet, so I guess I'll just have to wait and see what the UPS guy delivers. Thanks.

8. bitterpil

bitterpil New Member

United States
    Map
    Oh OK. I thought those were your tires in the original post.

Anyway the conti tread design allows for more rubber on the side walls. More traction in the lean. I run Bridgestone BT016s and like them a lot I get about 6K per set. It is a pure sport tire like the sport attack. I like the looks of the sport attack and the amount of slick area on the side walls. I was interested in the road attack before but now they offer a more sport tire, it may be worth trying. I was just saying today that I may try them or the sport attack for my spring tire.

9. karazy

karazy New Member

Canada
    Map
    Yeah I was going by the first pic as well.

Strange, they don't have this "sport mileage" tire on the conti website. This is the first I have heard of it. I may have to do some more research.

:crazy:

10. JBzRed07

JBzRed07 New Member

Man, I thought the same thing. "Continental Road Attack - Sport Mileage"; I first discovered this tire on Motorcycle Superstore's site a few days ago. When searching for it on Continental Corp's Motorcycle Tires site, there's no evidence of it? But, if you Google it, it pops up on a bunch of the Online motorcycle retail part and accessory sites. The reviews of the Conti Road Attack Sport Mileage on Motorcycle Superstore's web site are all positive, so if this tire is more of a performance enhanced version of the current and highly regarded "Road Attack", then I am really looking forward to testing it out.

11. bitterpil

bitterpil New Member

United States
    Map
    Post your findings if you can.. I will need new tires in march.

12. JBzRed07

JBzRed07 New Member

13. Joel-ZX6R

Joel-ZX6R New Member

Hello,

First post here , but wanted to comment on the Conti Road Attacks. I do alot of canyon carving and group rides, these tires grip like hell with adjusted suspension for the roads / track you ride and correct PSI to your riding style. I ran 1.25 mile track and posted lap times of 1:16s, intermediate racers above my class with slicks run 1:08s and below, plus it was my first time out.. These tires will get hot and greasy if you run track more than 15 minutes track time but for canyon carving its sweet.. I have 5 K miles on my tires currently, still plenty of meat left.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. scotty v

scotty v New Member

I've had the Conti RA-SM tires on an F4i, FZ6, and 600RR and have street ridden very aggressively on them. Never was I unconfident riding on them, the feedback they deliver from the road is incredible, and they wear like iron. As soon as possible I will be putting a set on the VFR.