cooling fan, modification

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by CRAZY K, Jun 12, 2012.

1. CRAZY K

CRAZY K New Member

I have a 2004 vfr 800. In recent post that I have read from this site, and Fireblade has got me thinking of changing my cooling fan from OEM to a VTR 1000 cooling fan. My bike runs at 224-228 degrees when idle. While moving through city traffic it runs 200 degrees. I know these are normal temperatures but I would like to see the temperatures drop around 210 or 215 when idling.
    So inshort term has anyone changed there fan and if so what are the pros and cons?

Thanks

2. TOE CUTTER

TOE CUTTER Mullet Man

United States
    Map
    The VTR fan will not help when sitting still, it will make it worse. The factory fan when running at speed fights the air flow in the wrong direction and causes the temps to stay high but works well at low speed. I had issues in high ambient temps being stuck in traffic with the fan on and jumping on the freeway and it would just sit at 135 for extended periods unless I stopped and let the fan run it's cycle. Works good when moving, not so much sitting still.

3. mello dude

mello dude Administrator

United States
    Map
    Kinda what Toecutter says - I'm running the VTR fan for the moment, speeds are SWAGs but illustrate the idea.

-- Stock fan - stopped to 5 mph -- marginal pass
    ---Stock fan -- 5ish to 20mph --- fail
    ---VTR fan - stopped to 5mph --- fail
    ---VTR fan --- 5mph and above --- pass

I think you have to figure out how your commute stop n go speeds are and pick the fan that best goes with it. Also, in hot climates, bump up the size of the oil cooler, especially a 5th gen.

4. tinkerinWstuff

tinkerinWstuff Administrator Staff Member

United States
    Map
    VTR fan is good for sucking in rocks too from what I hear :)

5. Marrib

Marrib Insider

United States
    Map
    I have made the conversion. I would do it again being in Phx. I DISAGREE completely with Toe. You must understand that disagreeing with TC is a bad thing because he knows a lot and is rarely wrong. In this case.... uh, he is.

1. At no speed. Stuck in traffic. Sure. TC says " The VTR fan will not help when sitting still, it will make it worse". I will disagree. I think he has a supercharger on his bike. Not a good trial. It's better than stock. IMHO.
    2. At some speed. Say 2-10mph. Or behind a big truck that is killing your flow. ..." but works well at low speed". Now there TC is correct. At low speeds, this kills all!

Mellowdude says "fail at stopped". Once again, I disagree.
    Tink says: it picks up rocks. I AM the recipient of one rock that killed the fan and radiator ($250), another rock that almost killed the rad but did kill the fan ($25)

I will go back to the vtr fan. Since I live in a mostly dry environ with little to no rocks on the road, it's the answer for me. I will put a grate, shroud, fence over my new vtr van this fall and deal with it.
    I guess take what info you can glean from these posts. I'm mostly splitting hairs here but I think the vtr is for me.

Also, I have an override switch on my fan. I can turn it on/off at will. I find that if I'm coming into stopped/slowed traffic at 195F, then I switch it on in anticipation of higher temps. Best thing I ever did.