Cracked Oil Pan?

Discussion in '6th Generation 2002-2013' started by Mjhopke, Aug 18, 2013.

1. Mjhopke

Mjhopke New Member

United States
    The image seems to be sideways for some reason...

image.jpg

Hey guys, this is my first post on the forums. I've been lurking for a few years getting all kinds of issues solved so thanks for all the help!

Anyway, Ive been investigating an oil leak problem and noticed a crack in the oil pan? I've been reading about people fixing it with JBweld and other products, but I'm not much of a mechanic and was wondering if this problem was too big for a simple fix. Hopefully the image I've attached shows the problem clearly.

I was also wondering what causes this? It has been dropped at 25mph :(

2. 34468 Randy

34468 Randy Secret Insider

Canada
    Map
    It's hard to tell from your photograph. Maybe take another from a little father back. But a drop can easily crack the oil pan. It is just cheap pot metal. I dropped mine the first or second week I had it (brand fuggen new) and the oil pan hit the curb. Mine actually punctured a hole in it. But the hole was high enough that the bike held enough oil in it so I could ride it home, and then to the shop.

I know several peeps here like JB Weld. I have only tried to use it once and it was an utter failure for me. Then maybe I was expecting too much of it. I was trying to re-join two pieces of metal together rather than to plug a hole. Then you need to know if JB Wled will adhere to an oily surface. Scrub and clean all you want, you are not going to get all the oil residue out of the rough edges of that crack. And the inside of the pan is going to have the oil baked on. Personally, I would be getting a new oil pan and gasket.

I just hate oil drips. When I tore up my 23 year old driveway because it was all cracked up, there was not a single oil mark on it that I could see.

3. TOE CUTTER

TOE CUTTER Mullet Man

United States
    Map
    I would bite it off and purchase a new one. I have used the JB weld with great results in a pinch but it is not a permanent solution in my opinion. I carry the quick cure in my dirt bike tool kit and it has saved my bacon many times and on street bikes it is a last ditch effort for damage to engine cases but if you can replace the part in question that is best.

4. Mjhopke

Mjhopke New Member

United States
    Wow I'm really sorry guys. Shows how much I know about my bike..but the thing that is actually cracked is the crank case. From my understanding from reading about them, these are much more manageable to fix than oil pans. As far as I can tell there are no issues with the oil pan.

Sorry for the miscommunications. :/

5. 34468 Randy

Canada
    Map
    I knew what you were referring to by the photo but I think everyone's remarks will still hold.

6. NormK

NormK New Member

I have used JB Weld inside a motor where the case had broken a large section of the timing side bearing housing away. There was plenty of oily surfaces in there that I was unable to clean properly and replacing the cases was not an option on a 1954 Enfield 700, Still the JB is holding up fine and the bike is ridden quite often

7. 34468 Randy

Canada
    Map
    OK. I will take the back seat to specific experience on this one. Thank you for speaking up.

8. NormK

NormK New Member

Another thing I was a little surprised about with the JB Weld, I had 2 of those semi flexible, semi rigid flasher stalks that had snapped off. Glued them back together and they remain as good as ever

9. 34468 Randy

Canada
    Map
    My experience with JB weld was when I dropped the bike and it broke my mirror's stem. I used JB weld after ensuring it was as clean as possible, without grinding away at any of the mirror stem. I used the JB Weld, and taped it rigid with Gorilla Tape and left it to cure for several hours over night. I gently removed the tape, handling the whole thing much like you would a handle soft breast, and the weld held for only a few miles of riding on well surfaced roads in Las Vegas. I was not impressed in the slightest with JB Wled for this particular purpose. For other reasons, well maybe. Anyways, you had great success with it and I did not. I think we should go to war over it. When my ships get holes blasted in them, I will weld them fixed while you ...Oh! I dunno.

10. 34468 Randy

Canada
    Map
    Wait. We are both Commonwealth Members. We gotsta stop this fighting or the queen is going to send us to our rooms.

11. NormK

NormK New Member

No war here Randy and I think we are still in the Commonwealth, but on a final note I use JB quite often and it has probably let me bown a couple of times and even they I knew I was expecting a bit too much of it but it was always worth a shot. Sometimes you just have nothing to loose

12. Mjhopke

Mjhopke New Member

United States
    Sorry to bring this post back from the dead, but just wanted to provide closing results because I forgot to come back and post after I made the fix. I did end up JB welding from the inside of the crank case cover. The results were fantastic. After two years of using the JB welded crank case, I just replaced it.

View attachment 42350