Cross-Country Tour

Discussion in 'Trips & Events' started by 80sNight, Dec 1, 2010.

1. WGREGT

WGREGT New Member

United States
    Good tip on the cigarette plug. I've got one on all my bikes for my GPS hookup (I've got a RAM mount on the steering stems) and they are cheap (less than $5 @ Radio Shack) and easy to install/hide. Tap into the rear running light so that when you turn the key off, the power to the plug is cut off as well. No chance of leaving anything on to run your battery down. Neg wire goes to the frame. Also a great way to charge your cell phone while riding. All that "searching for signal" will run a phone down quickly when you're riding in BFE.

On my bikes that don't have hazard lights (like my 94VFR750 like you have) I ran a small switch and tapped into each signal for hazards. Easy to do in case you think you might be interested. I didn't want to be tapped from the rear if I was sitting on the shoulder at some point.

Re: tire swap. How many miles you think you're gonna do, round trip? I can get out my tire replacement schedule to be sure, but I think I get 8500-10k miles on a new set on the same bike. You MIGHT be OK with one set...

I also have Throttlemeisters on all the bikes. Great investment, but not cheap. If you get good with them, you can ride with no hands at all...or so I've heard.

YouTube - GT hands free

2. 34468 Randy

34468 Randy Secret Insider

Canada
    Map
    You don't want to get caught going too fast in BC now. Recent amendments to the Motor Vehicle Act, can and does result in your vehicle being impounded for several days if you are caught doing 40 kmh or more over the posted speed limits here. And going through the interior, they have already done so several times, or so I understand. Radar detectors work, but don't rely on them. In my previous life, I can't even estimate how many tickets I wrote to people with radar detectors. They do work, but if the LEO knows what he is doing, he can defeat most of them most the time. And even though my tolerances were considered quite high, they did drop the moment I saw one of these devices.

3. Pliskin

Pliskin New Member

United States
    Map
    Sounds like Heat's got some experience and been on a few trips.

Not to change the gist of the thread, but I had the opposite experience with the mushroom head caps. I found it super easy to work with; easily stores under the seat, and after punching a screw through my brand new PR 2 with 200 miles on it, I plugged it up and rode hard for the rest of the day, doing another 150 miles. It held tight.

Slime/fix a flat may work, but if you bring it in to a shop to be changed, have the decency to tell them before they start working.

4. reg71

reg71 Poser Staff Member

United States
    Map
  5. 80sNight

80sNight New Member

United States
    Wowza, I am loving all this info!

As an umbrella statement: The list of items I said I would be bringing looks very short; this is because I had no idea where exactly to start. And I am glad I did, because y'all are covering things I thought about bringing, things I thought about then forgot about, and things I would never have thought of at all. A big thank you to everyone

Falco- I would be thrilled to have a place to stay at VB. I just found out from the friend stationed there that he probably won't be on base while I'm passing through VA, as he will be battling pirates on the coast of Africa. Thus, your offer is much appreciated, and I would love to knock back X Sam Adams, where X is equal to or greater than the number normally consumed in a single night by "young-uns" ;) Also, thrilled to have another Masshole with whom I can converse. I'll stay in touch

Reg- Good to hear your two cents. I like to think of myself as an "average speeder", that is, I generally keep my speed around 5 or so MPH above the speed limit, depending on what the rest of the traffic is doing. With what you've said, I'm pretty sure I'll keep it that way. Also, very good call on the cigarette plug item. First mod now that I finally own the bike? Yeah, I'd say so. And finally, I look forward to making it out your way. Fo' REAL

Squamish- Fantastic! Route suggestions are ALWAYS more than welcome. I will stay in touch and let you know how I'll be getting through BC. Hopefully, we can get a ride or two in.

Heatmizr- Holy smokes, I think you just finished my packing list. A big danke to you, sir! Your advice is much appreciated.

Beta- more pictures. Nuff said

Greg- once again, you've got good stuff, I didn't even think of hazards!

Randy- Thank you for the heads-up. Very glad to hear this kind of thing from the ex-horse's mouth. Myself, I've been very wary of equipping radar detectors to any of my vehicles; I feel like it's a big ol' middle finger to the cop who pulls you over, and probably achieves the same effect, considering they've pulled you over anyways. And you have confirmed that. Considering that I'll already be tapping the battery for GPS and/ or cell phone power, anything else seems like it could be the straw that breaks the small battery's max load, so to speak. ANYWHO, as my schedule will be tight, and I prefer to stay on Law Enforcement's good side, I think my speeds will never exceed 40kph over the posted limit. Not that I do that anyways...

Pliskin- duly noted, and always appreciated

Thank you all! I'm glad I started this thread when I did, or I don't think I would have had time to glean so much wonderful, delicious knowledge from everyone (if I'm sounding a touch weird, it's been a long, silly day).
    As always, any thoughts, suggestions or critiques are appreciated, and I will continue to pick everyone's brain. As my plans firm up, I will keep everyone updated.

As a final note: I finally, actually own the 94 VFR that I've been talking about. Wow, and I thought I was in love with my VF500...

6. 34468 Randy

Canada
    Map
    Good grief. Who are you anyways? Keep the top up. The wind will destroy any rag top you use at highways speeds.

AS for my radar detector statement, this is just me. I don't think LEO's get bent when they find a radar detector in your car. I got paid ever second Friday regardless. But the way I looked at it was, I was already stopping you for speeding and hadn't determined if you were getting a ticket or warning or chin wagging yet. But seeing a detector on your dash, I figured you had already had many breaks and time is up. Even still, my discretion was higher here too. Like nothing less than 15 kmh at the lowest. That's about 9mph. But like I said, I was very lenient. I wouldn't expect that tolerance to be common.

BTW for all you out there, I never was given a quota by my department. They let me write as many as I could in a days work.

If you do the Duffy Lake Road, and I strongly suggest you do, let me know anyways. Time permitting, I can still meet up with you for a ride, as will a few others here I suspect.

DId you really call me a horse head here?

7. 80sNight

80sNight New Member

United States
    "from the ex-horse's mouth", as in, from the horse's mouth, directly from the source.

I should explain to all that I can come off... overly cheery? Weird? A bit strange. I'm a bit of a nutter. The way I speak doesn't translate well on the interwebs, and things that may sound stupid or insulting should really never be taken that way. And that sounds stupid, I know, but "bear" with me.

Point taken with the radar.

Yes, I still planned on hitting you up, and still planned on going for a good ride.

8. FieryRed95

FieryRed95 New Member

Hey 80s,

I'll keep my eyes on this thread to see where I end up working this summer... (student). If all goes well, I'll be in Saskatoon; it's likely I can offer a place if you're on your way through. There are a couple scenic routes in and around the city, but nothing to get the chicken strips off your tires. That's what the Rockies are for... :) Good luck with the planning!

9. fighting_fires

fighting_fires New Member

ive been reading this thread because its really interesting, but i do not remember what your route is. So if youre coming through the chicago land area let me know, i probably cant house you but i can buy ya lunch or something if you wanna cruse lake shore drive, its nothing scenic, but to anyone whos ever ripped up and down lake shore drive its a great experience.

10. 80sNight

80sNight New Member

United States
    FieryRed, that is fantastic! I hope you do end up there, well, for my sake, because my cross-Canada leg, until the Rockies, was looking rather dreary. If you end up out there, please let me know!

Fighting Fires, I don't think I'll be making it through Chicago this time around, I don't have as much time as I'd like, but thank you so much for the offer! Glad to know this is keeping interest

11. 80sNight

80sNight New Member

United States
    [​IMG]

my new steed

12. reg71

reg71 Poser Staff Member

United States
    Map
    Nice bike. I like the blue. Let me know when it's close to time and I'll pm you contact info.

13. crustyrider

crustyrider New Member

Map
    just food for thought.....remember the "radar" most prefered now a days is the laser gun... it has no warning and is almost instantaneous in its results.. if your running a detector that picks up laser it beeps that means you've already been had....... enjoy the scenery.... bmaybe we will catch you on the way thru Santa Barbara.. (if you go thru sacramento , TOECUTTER will wash your bike for you.. he may wear the thong bakini when he does it but at least the bike will be clean....)

14. 34468 Randy

Canada
    Map
    One more thing to bring with you. The bugs through the Canadian Prairies are big enough to knock you off your ride. In the Winnipeg area, a new creature has developed. Called a goosequito. That what you get when the mosquitoes there have sex with the Canada Geese. Bring along a small spray bottle of eyeglass cleaner and a micro fibre rag. I tried using a squeegee in my face shield but it does not work that well. Also if it is a bad year for Grasshoppers, you may want to wear a neck Dickie regardless of the heat. Those hoppers hurt like hell when you get hit on the skin by them.

15. WGREGT

WGREGT New Member

United States
    Wow. Surprisingly, I like the blue! Looks like it was professionally done from this distance. And it looks like the lower was painted as well, which is a hard thing to do with that pebble finish. I've never seen a lower painted before. How about a few more fotos, Foto Boy?

Aftermarket windscreen as well, I see. You'll like that on your trip. Painted the wheels too, I see.

So why did the PO paint it blue? I know the OEM red is super hard to match...maybe that's why?

16. 80sNight

80sNight New Member

United States
    EARLY MORNING POST!

[​IMG]

17. 80sNight

80sNight New Member

United States
  18. 80sNight

80sNight New Member

United States
    Thanks y'all! I'm quite happy with the bike so far. The paint is just about as sexy as it looks in the photos (although I did give the blue a slight boost in the photos)

Reg, thatsa will do, mate

Thanks for the heads up, crusty; I think I'm going to leave the detectors alone. If I'm doing something that I think I need a detector for, I probably shouldn't be doing it in the first place. BUT, I suppose I don't mind TOE washing my bike, even if it means him in a bikini. Que serah

Randy, why? WHY SO MANY BUGS?! Ridiculous. I tend to wear bandannas around my neck while riding, mainly as a fashion statement, but also to protect against bugs, wind, ...stuff. As always, the heads up are appreciated

Greg, yeah, it looks fantastic in person, too. I was really surprised. There's some holidays here are there, and some dings, but all in all, looks good. Love the screen

19. reg71

reg71 Poser Staff Member

United States
    Map
    hmm, bandannas eh? Are they pink with flowers? just kidding. I think Leftcoast usually sports a bandanna also. I usually go with the neck thingies from Schampa.

that's something to remember for your trip. Here in Cali, in the same day, I will start with a full balaclava=good and warm, but it covers ears and top of head so makes earplugs/headphones uncomfortable, then as it warms up, just a warm neck sleeve(gaiter)=good for cool but not as warm as full balaclava, then when it's getting pretty nice, I switch to just a velcro small light facemask thing. It just blocks a little wind and you can put it over the nose, push down to chin, or just leave it around your neck like a bandana only it's black so it doesn't make you look like gene autry out on the range.

20. FieryRed95

FieryRed95 New Member

Whoooaaaa!!! Left-exit exhaust! I want! But I think I'd miss the centrestand more...