cruise controls(would or wouldn't you) and why or why not

Discussion in 'Gear & Accessories' started by DANIMAL, May 12, 2009.

1. Skydog

Skydog New Member

How easy are these to take on and off? I'd probably only want to put it on for long rides and take it off the rest of the time... the NEP that is.

2. diVeFR

diVeFR New Member

United States
    Map
    I have the NEP and just finished a 2126 mile ride to Suches, GA and back. The ride back I rode a straight 12 hours and haveing and useing the NEP was a great releif to the wrist. I will post pics of the trip later.

3. Chuckman49

Chuckman49 New Member

Very easy to take off and put on, as quick as you can turn one allen wrench adjustment screw. If I had to guess time wise, I'd say like beginning to end, maybe a total of, 30 seconds!! :lol:

4. buttonhook

buttonhook New Member

Maryville, TN (six miles from the dragon)
  5. mello dude

mello dude Administrator

Romania
    Map
    I've used the combination of a throttle rocker and NEP throttle lock for years. With the thottle rocker you can hold the throttle open with open palm and the on the longer drone just lock it solid. Seems to be a no brainer for the VFR.

MD

6. mello dude

mello dude Administrator

Romania
    Map
  7. borg

borg New Member

8. buttonhook

buttonhook New Member

Maryville, TN (six miles from the dragon)
    I know but how much is the throttlemaster and at least it will turn off if you hit the brakes. I think it would be one of the safest "locks" out there

9. vfrcapn

vfrcapn Member

United States
    Map
    Did you get it installed, work ok? I'm going to order one for my 5th gen too.

10. Skydog

Skydog New Member

That's way too long of an install.

Not worth it. :rolleyes:

11. RedMenace

RedMenace New Member

United Kingdom
    Map
    Just installed a ThrottleMeister

I've used 2 vista-cruise on 2 different cycles and loved them. Simple and they work. With all due respect to RedRover- electronic cruise control sounds like exactly the same amount of attention for 10 times the price.
    With riding, there is only one time to use them: long, straight interstates.
    Use it for a rest, and then get your hand back on there. I only need a couple of minutes and then I'm back on it for another 45 minutes.
    There was another post today (last coupladays?) about a guy who said his got "locked" and he had an accident. I"m not saying it is not 'possible', but not likely. Vista and ThrottleMeister do not 'lock'. At any time, with just slightly more effort than zero, you should be able to close the throttle and slow down. I didn't realize how simple the Throttlemeister design was, until I got it and put it on. It is friction based, just overcome a little friction and you are stopping.
    Use it as intended, check it before you ride, and both are kick-ass little gadgets for interstate riding. As safe as anything you can do at 65mph with an engine between your knees.:eek:

12. speedpoker

speedpoker New Member

I just installed the Throttlemeister although have not ridden it yet. I have been riding a decent portion of the day. It does seem like a very good design and should do exactly what I want it to do as far as a cruise control and also have the added vibration reduction. I got the heavy ones for that reason. If I had my house paid off and my kids out of college and a big fat retirement saved up I might have gone with the $700 electronic or whatever it costs.

13. kd4ysi

kd4ysi New Member

United States
    Map
    i also have the cheap version neb and also have the one where u rest the palm of your hand on it both work well takes some getting used too with both installed through

14. Spectre

Spectre New Member

A 30-60 minute ride on a local freeway or your local freeway outer-belt while using the MCCruise control is plenty of time to learn and get quite accustomed to this product.

The key is really quite simple--once you activate the CC, don't completely let go of the throttle until you feel the electronic CC taking over, and then you can relax as the CC maintains a nearly CONSTANT speed over hills and valleys, windy conditions, etc. If you find this to be more complicated than constantly dicking around with a throttle lock, which is only remotely useful on utterly flat terrain (however brief that may be) then you're better off with the throttle lock.

In my opinion, a throttle lock is about as sophisticated a way to 'cruise' on a motorcycle as it would be to wedge a length of broom-handle between the accelerator pedal and the seat of your car. Both will keep the throttle open to a set position alright, except that it's easier to disengage the broom handle... :rolleyes:

15. Badbilly

Badbilly Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!

United States
    Fortunately, the nearest local freeway to me is about 60 miles away and through some really scary twisties, hills and a few cowpies that may be elkpies.

16. rangemaster

rangemaster New Member

United States
    Map
    Sooo....which NEP would be the best for a 4th GEN ('97)-single or dual throttle cable?
    What has to be modded on the duals to make 'em work on a VFR?
    Thanks.

17. RedMenace

RedMenace New Member

United Kingdom
    Map
    Vist-Cruise or NEP

I believe both of these are the same design. A plastic ring that squeezes into the gap between the throttle grip and the control housing (brake res., kill switch pod) It works with friction. No mechanical alteration. They don't actually attach to the throttle cable. They are simply designed a different shape to wrap around either one, or two throttle cables that emerge from the control pod. No modifications. If your cycle has two cables, you get the two cable model. Go to a moto shop and look at one. It may answer a couple of questions.

18. Rollin_Again

Rollin_Again Member

United States
    Several people that I have talked to have indicated that the dual cable model requires that you trim some of the plastic to make it fit. I have the single cable model and it works fine on both my 6th Gen and 3rd Gen with no modification needed. I would assume that it would be the same for the 4th Gen.

Regards,
    Rollin

19. GreyVF750F

GreyVF750F Member

United States
    Map
    I have this type and it works great and is very simple in use, function and installation. I also have a "Throttle Rocker" on the grip. Just a piece of plastic under your palm to assist in throttle rotation. Both have been on there for years.

20. runnerhiker

runnerhiker New Member

Map
    I have CC on my FJR and it takes over immediately and I can let go of the throttle right away. I believe your symptom indicates you have too much slack in the throttle cable at the y connector and the servo motor has to take up this slack before you can let go of the throttle.

Ron