Damn Harley Guy!

Discussion in 'General VFR Discussions' started by JoshVFR, Jan 15, 2011.

1. Gator

Gator Insider

United States
    Map
    LMAO^^

If its got 2 wheels I'm good with it. I still ride mini bikes that kids in the neighborhood build.

2. Gator

Gator Insider

United States
    Map
    I think its a bit of the Kool-aid thing that pisses people off. Nothing wrong with a Harley or a crotch rocket or a wing or a dirt bike. Like said above its the people that are ass hats. Promoting us against them is just stupid. The management of Harley is who can suck balls. Ever read the sales manual? It is ridiculous how they resort to crap to market their products. And I will NEVER forgive them for their MV Agusta fuck up and Buell betrayal. Eric Buell and real Italian sport bikes coulod have been a great win win thing for Harley. They royally screwed the pooch in my opinion. And on the local level that mentality caused all sorts of problems at the dealerships. Buell was like a red headed stepchild when you brought it in for service. I have rode hundreds of Harleys through the years, not my cup of tea but they have 2 wheels and I like them. That being said give me an open road in the mountains on the VFR or a set of slicks on the CBR on a warm morning at the track and I'm extra happy.

3. Big_Jim59

Big_Jim59 Member

United States
    Map
    I think that to the general public the Harley/cruiser riding crowd has a better reputation than the crotch rocket riders. Nothing give a driver the red ass more that some squid blasting past on the rear wheel. You see Harley riders cruising along at posted speeds in law abiding formations. Clubs that are active in a number of charity projects are predominantly Harley/cruiser riders. Add to this the work of the media in advancing the romance of leather and the open road and you have a much more acceptable motorcycling experience. I'll be willing to bet, if given a survey, the general public believes Harleys are safer motorcycles to ride. There are no such romantic notions for sport bike riders. They are seen as a danger to themselves and others with no redeeming social value.

I am not sure that a Harley branded sport bike would do well. Sport bikes are far removed from their market space. That's why they cut Buell loose. They know that their market lies solidly with big bore, push rod, V-twins. Americans want that sound and that torque and Harley dishes it up in buckets.

4. ridervfr

ridervfr Member

Belgium
    Map
    Funny, when I used to work at a salvage yard, almost all the HD bikes that where there, were there due to front end damage (maybe HD's stop like shit?) Maybe the riders tail-gate? Compared to the Big-Four bike regarless of tourer/sport-bike, their destruction was varied, some looked like they were thrown out of an airplane. I gave up on being the "motorcycle ambassador" cant really change peoples minds. Another curious thing is how the japanese market wont sell alot of bikes they sell here in the USA/Thank goodness we have access to bikes like the "busa and zed x 14" I mean wtf? if your gona go, you might as well be shot out of a cannon than be sqeezed out of a tube-of-toothpaste. RIght???

Another HD failure - V-Rod...those people dont want a liquid cooled v-max rip off...oh well,...I love all two wheeled shite, if I could afford a big touring rig, I would get some kind of carburated "Geezer-Glide for me an-dah-wife."

5. Gator

Gator Insider

United States
    Map
    I agree on the public opinion of sport bikers. A few of us from a sport/track forum would meet up with some of the sport bike squids for one of their morning "rides" We would be on street legal bikes that were really track bikes and dressed in full leather, gloves, lids and boots. After you could get a word in through all the testostrone laden bravado about 100 mph wheelies on the highway we would invite them to a track day. I truly believe that we may have saves a few of the lads by showing them the proper place to flog a sport bike as some of them totally tamed their street riding and learned what a well set up sport bike can do while learning more in one day than a lifetime of squiding up the streets. I was a wheelie riding teenager at one time and have paid the asphalt gods more than once. Scaring the hell out of grandma is not cool and you will not see the touring crowd do this on a Harley or any other bike. But you might see a Japanese bike hanging in a tree in S Dakota! lol

6. Gator

Gator Insider

United States
    Map
    If you compared touring riders in 2 classes, Harleys and all others I think you would find much much more skilled riders in the non Harley group. Insurance stats have shown that the middle aged Harley rider is/was the highest incident rate even over the young sport squids. Might be due to non experienced guys taking up Harleys in later life or guys that not have swung a leg over 2 wheels in 30 years. Its not the bikes fault.

7. Big_Jim59

Big_Jim59 Member

United States
    Map
    I was thinking of the V-Rod as the Harley answer to a modern performance offering and I don't think it sells as well as their traditional offering of push rod twins.

There are a lot of first time riders on big Harleys. Most of us, who have been riding for years, cut our teeth on smaller bikes. It seems inconceivable to me that anyone would go straight to a big Harley right out of the motorcycle safety course but they do. Of course my old riding buddy Jerry bought a KZ1300 as his first bike when he was 49 years old. Go figure.

There is nothing like the track to teach good street riding skills. On the track you can come to a full understanding of what your bike is actually capable of. Most people run off the road and crash because they "think" that they have reach the limit of their cornering capability. The track will show you that you're not even close.

8. ridervfr

ridervfr Member

Belgium
    Map
    Your up the road from me, I used to do CCS until I got :helo: ride out of Moroso at the time :rip: now its called some other :bs: name...Any-WhooOOo

Its like this, "if you give a chimp a loaded gun, go you blame the chimp or the gun, when he/she shoots someone or him/herself. These old geezers going thru their mid-life crisis want to get back into riding, that a good thing, but they lack motor-reflexes sometimes and then mix in booze and drugs, a recipe for disaster when your on two wheels, regardless of skill...When do you see a HD lean? In front of a Bar....:boozer: :nelson: nuff sed CHeeRS

yep I sinned I had to edit post... forgive me

9. Gator

Gator Insider

United States
    Map
    I have seen skilled riders hauling the mail on Harleys, sparks flying at good paces in the mountains. I have also seen a few vrods on the track doing respectable times at Jennings. But that was with a very skilled rider.
    Oh and that BS name is now PBIR, Palm Beach International Raceway. It is a very nice track except for the lack of pits and such. The track itself is a great surface with an interesting layout and VERY fast back straight. On big 1k's we are hitting the brakes between 170 and 185 before the turn. It will get your attention. The drag strip is supposed to be one of the better in the country with a concrete launch. I have not been on the drag strip but have run the road coarse a lot.

10. Badbilly

Badbilly Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!

United States
    If Harleys are so great why is it that checking most places to see what's for sale is full up with Harley's?

Do they cost too much to run?
    Are they expensive to work on?
    Are they in the my dick is bigger and shinier than yours category?
    Are a good percentage of those who ride them sounding most of the time like the great leaders of North Korea or Iran?
    Does anyone with any sense really think they are "All American?"
    Do most harleydoods new and old take MSF courses or the equivalent?
    Why would any dude who is 5'5" and 135 lbs want an 800 lb motorcycle?

Anybody that thinks that the upper management of HD is anything but savvy is delusional. They know their demographics, their markets and sure the hell know how to sell motorcycles to their targets.

Gosh, ten thousand harleydoods named "Mad Dog" can't all be wrong..

11. ridervfr

ridervfr Member

Belgium
    Map
    I think their (HD) aparell is up in sales compared to bikes. So, this simply means, that more Hoo-T-chee mamas are sporting g-strings that have the mighty bar-n-shield on them, than doodes rumbling around on their vee-twins. It also means, you could deck yourself out from head to toe in HD, imagine the shock when you role up to bike week in your HD doo-rag all the way to your new HD engineer boots (made in china, heels falling off too, dont ask how I know, NO, I wouldnt be caught dead in them.)

Is'nt a harley that goes around corners an oxymoron?

They set up two bus-stop chicanes at Moroso when I just started to get out of CCS. The bikes used to hit 180 or so in the back straight then too prior to these slow down (read stupid devices.) imho its still a HP track...Now I am stuck dragging knee on a go-cart track. Back when we did CCS they didnt have track days, and yes back then, Moroso was the flatest track in the east and it had minimal to no luxury...read FARM...but fun...:vtr2:

12. Badbilly

United States
    Some a them hoochie mammas be wearin them HD G strings but when they all stood up ya caint see em.

Had a gig a few back to set up a "ride" to The Gorge for harleyduds and dudettes. The gig was sponsored by The House of Blues, who own The Gorge. The gig was to be called, " A Ride to the Top" lots of particulars but basically a ZZ Top Concert. In a prelim meet at a HD dealership me and a very savvy bike guy bud who has written several books on HDs got to the dealership a little early. There was stuff on the shelves with bar and shield that we had no idea what it was for. I think some things may have even been diapers.

Oh well, if the foo shits, wear it..

They installed a bus stop on the old SIR (Seattle International Raceway) now PIR (Pacific International Raceway) Couple of guys bought it before the install. Big LH sweeper feeding a dragstrip straight. Speeds of 140+ coming out of the sweeper even before hitting the long straight. Probably saved some lives in the long run. The new track owners repaved the back section and one guy I know told me he picked up two full seconds just because of the new tarmac.

Great fun at the club races there Lots of vintage iron racing and one class of those little Honda 160s and we are talking some serious builds and a gaggle of them on the grid. Should be some poop on that on Utube.

Harleys on Utub...;)

13. Gator

Gator Insider

United States
    Map
    Not to many remember the old Moroso days. The big problem back then was the dirt track. When the wind was blowing the wrong way dirt would drift onto the road coarse and then things got interesting. No dirt track on the new coarse. Thread jack over.

14. Rainbow7

Rainbow7 New Member

Because they aren't capable of it.

15. Badbilly

United States
    I agree! My gram ain't scared of nothin or nobody especially some pansyass harleydood.

16. Durk

Durk New Member

I spanked this Harley rider on my little CB1, him and his wife were on a big touring model, I was on an on ramp and they were in the right lane kind of beside me. He guns it to ensure he passes me and I see and gun it, I pass him while still on the on ramp and sail ahead of him. I let her stretch her legs to the top speed of around 120mph to put some distance b/w us. Then I slowed down to around 75ish. He gets over in the fast lane and "blows by me". I just laughed. They are delusional.

Another time while on the CB1 I had a harley rider on a sportser in front of me turn onto this windy backroad and gun it. So I follow him and he's riding like a maniac, I'm keeping up as windy roads are that bikes forte, then we get to a stop sign. He guns it again, and his rear wheel slides out on his first turn and he runs off the road and almost eats it. I don't know how he didn't wreck. At that point I backed off because I didn't feel like seeing a biker wreck in front of me.

I don't have any good VFR / HOG stories yet though.

17. Badbilly

United States

No stories? Just make one up. Why be different?

18. Chris71Mach1

Chris71Mach1 Insider

United States
    Map
    dude you totally should've raced that knob for pink slips. youd own a shitty harley that you could sell for WAY more than it should ever be worth! (and use that money to do lots and lots of mods to your viffer!).

youve surely heard that harley davidsons are the most efficient way to turn gasoline into noise without that terrible biproduct called horsepower....youve heard it cause its TRUE!

please refer to the link below for a full explanation (oldie but goodie)

Why A Harley Davidson Isn'

19. Big_Jim59

Big_Jim59 Member

United States
    Map
    A customer at the bikes shop told this story on himself. It seems that Jr. had a Husqvarna CR360 and dad wanted to see how fast it was. He thought he would clock the bike by running his Sportster along with the Husky on a lonely stretch of state highway. It didn't work. He could never catch his son with the Harley.

20. Jeff_n_Franklin_Tn

Jeff_n_Franklin_Tn New Member

From what I hear Harley riders are taught not to rely the front brake but to rely on the back brake. They believe the front is more likely to lock up causing you to lay it down etc, etc...and yes they tail gate also but I've see other motorcyclists and cagers that do that unintelligent thing called following too closely ALL the time around here as well and you see alot of front bumpers that are banged up from just that.
    I've ridden a couple of Harleys some years ago..not impressed, not at all. For one example, out of several...how can anyone enjoy riding something that vibrates and shakes so badly that your feet and hands go numb from just 20 mins of riding?