Daytona 675 Temptation!

Discussion in 'Anything Goes' started by Nungboy, Sep 26, 2008.

1. Nungboy

Nungboy New Member

Map
    Holy Mole!
    I have been aware of the Triumph Daytona 675 for at least a year now and a used (1500 miles) black 2008 showed up at my local dealer recently. I finally got over to ride it and was very impressed. So light, so thin, so racy, SO FAST and perky! Talk about tempted! It just seems so perfect...some attributes of the 4-cyl in-lines and some of the twins. Gobs of power and torque in any gear. AND A BEAUTIFUL SOUND!!! The only engine that sounds as good as a VFR. And what a lovely looking machine too. Anyone else ride one? Anyone else tempted? It cannot quite "do it all" like a VFR of course...I'd love it as a second machine but cannot swing it currently. But oh, I am tempted and thinking about it all the time...
    Comments?

2. Rollin_Again

Rollin_Again Member

United States
    For those who are not familiar with this bike and are too lazy to google here is a pic. It's a pretty good looking bike in my opinion.

[​IMG]

Regards,
    Rollin

3. mello dude

mello dude Administrator

United States
    Map
    I was tempted at one time but I couldnt get passed the super tall seat to bar position. I sat on a CBR600RR for comparison and found it much better. I was a bit disappointed over the Triumph.

MD

4. Bubba Zanetti

Bubba Zanetti Member

United States
    Map
    Yeah, a friend has one and its a smokin machine Nungboy.

The number one thing that keeps me away from the 675 is service. The mechanic I go to does not like to work on them. So that leaves the dealer...screw that!

BZ

5. Nungboy

Nungboy New Member

Map
    Hey THANKS Rollin_Again, I forgot to post a pic or a link. That helps. (And that is the 08 Special Edition version with the gold wheels...tres sexy, no?!)

6. S14Daver

S14Daver New Member

Map
    Oui....or however you spell it lol, that thing es muy sexy! Horsepower and weight? Bah ill just look it up...

EDIT
    wow...125hp 363lbs dry...damn thats light.

7. Nungboy

Nungboy New Member

Map
    That's what I'm talking about!
    The power to weight ratio is fabuloso! How do you Amerecaans say...a KICK IN THE HEAD!
    Twisting the throttle in 6th at 70 makes it go! The lightness and flickability is tantalizing.
    I'm smitten!

8. reg71

reg71 Poser Staff Member

United States
    Map
    I haven't ridden one but I rode with a guy in his 50s that rides one and absolutely loves it. He's damned fast, too.

9. scramblerracer

scramblerracer New Member

Map
    IF you can wait for the new one to come out- should be more powerful and more reliable. I want one too.

10. Rollin_Again

Rollin_Again Member

United States
    If you guys want we can all chip in and buy one together. We'll just keep it at my house and you can come over and ride it anytime you want.

Regards,
    Rollin

11. Nungboy

Nungboy New Member

Map
    The 2009 is 3kg lighter and has a few more horsepower. The suspension improvements and braking improvements sound like the best changes though.

12. VsVFR

VsVFR New Member

Map
    Dang sexy machine!!! A friend has one and absolutely loves it. He sold a special edition Yamaha R1 after he test rode the 675. Decided he didn't need the $18k R1 after riding the Triumph. But like you Nung, I'd only have one if I could still have the VFR in the garage to keep it company.

Vs

13. GenLightening

GenLightening New Member

I test road one last year and it really felt great, good power and very nimble. Plus, at 6'3", I fit pretty good. I'm still torn between that or a Tiger....

14. Nungboy

Nungboy New Member

Map
    Ok, kids...I am dusting off this thread again because I still cannot stop thinking about the 675. It is now February and the local dealer has a used demo 2008 Special Edition and a new 2009 in all black. The 2009 has just been reviewed by two of the cycle mags--they love it! Better brakes, less weight, a few more horsepower, better suspension (fully adjustable), improved engine, lighter rear wheel, better tires, improved heat shielding for the exhaust, better fairing, taller 1st gear, etc. A nice long review on the 675 Forum by a fellow who had an older model is very enlightening. He LOVES the new model even more than the old. I know it would be a perfect second bike but if I cannot swing that would it be the perfect ONLY bike for me? I find I do not go out for super long rides and certainly haven't done any weekend or overnighter rides with the VFR. I don't have hard bags for the viffer. I just have a hard time seeing the VFR go away though. I'll ride the 2008 675 again today and do some soul searching.
    Opinions?

15. Nungboy

Nungboy New Member

Map
    Oh, one more thing: it costs about $1000 less than an VFR, has a smaller displacement (but a bit more power) so will it be a bit less to insure or about the same or???

16. RVFR

RVFR Member

United States
    Map
    Interesting this thread pops back up as a good riding buddy just bought this one. he trade in a 955i for it.

[​IMG]

Nice little Hot rod..

17. drewl

drewl Insider

United States
    Map
    Wow. You mean to say the newer model is BETTER than the last one? What a concept.

It will prolly be more expensive to insure because it is a pure sport bike. The VFR being a sport-tourer makes it less.

18. Nungboy

Nungboy New Member

Map
    See! THAT'S what I'm talking about! That is the 2009 model...black and silver accents (the 2008 special edition--see above--is a bit more blingy). The machine has a exhaust sound that is so nice...the triple is so different. To me, only the VFR and the 675 have such unique and gorgeous sounds. (Listen to me! I must be in lust!)

19. nvoges

nvoges New Member

Hmmm......can you imagine if Honda would have used the concept of making a newer model BETTER than the last between the 5th and 6th generations????? The sixth would have been the ultimate machine.....but alas, we still have to settle for a 10 year old bike to get the best of the best.....J/K :bootyshake2:

20. Nungboy

Nungboy New Member

Map
    That is a very good point. And I probably wouldn't be jonesing for the 675 if the current VFR was lighter, had even better suspension and more power. (But maybe I just "need" two machines afterall!!!)