Dead spot around 4k

Discussion in '6th Generation 2002-2013' started by smee42, Jul 19, 2005.

1. smee42

smee42 New Member

United States
    I've only put about 500 miles on my 02. The bike has about 4800 miles on the clock and no mods. When I ride at about 4k rpm with a steady throttle, the bike will begin dropping 3 to 4 mph. When I try to modulate the throttle, I get no response until the bike suddenly lunges foward and I have to let off. This all makes riding on the slab no fun. Anyone have any similar problems? Ideas for a fix. I just picked it up from the dealer who gave me a "unable to duplicate" after six days. ???

2. waldrm

waldrm New Member

Put in a Power Commander; bike is tuned for low midrange emissions-especially the Cali version. Power Commander will smooth it out.

3. ryders626

ryders626 New Member

So where can I find a nice PC III at a good price? I changed the exhaust on my 2005. It's only been 2 months, and I already ridden over 2K miles.. ;D

But the last canyon ride was really tight at the edge of V-Tech kicking in..

4. waldrm

waldrm New Member

There's one for sale in the Classifieds; eBay is also a good source.

5. Old_Codger

Old_Codger New Member

Can the dealer remap the fuel curve to smooth out low end? I know that they do this with other motorcycles. I have a stumble right off of idle that is dangerous at times.

6. ryders626

ryders626 New Member

I have been having the same problem cutting corners in the canyons. At second gear, I will hit 7K - 9K RPM. I will be good, but the engine gets pretty hot. But when I shift to 3rd gear, I kept getting worried at 6k and 7K V-Tech break-in... Plus.. going down hill on 3rd gear is not fun with a 500lb bike...

7. Guest

Guest Guest

The best solution is to purchase a modifed fuel pressure regulator from: www.turbocity.com

There has been extensive reviews on: www.vfrdiscussion.com

I installed one and the 4-5k surge is gone, the transition at 7000rpm is smooth. No hitch, glitch, or otherwise.

Tom of Turbocity has been selling for $99.99.

best regards
    bill

8. master_of_puppets

master_of_puppets New Member

I had no problems, even after installing PCIII, but when I instaled O2 eliminators like PCIII site recomended for optimum performense that's when I got it...weird...:confused: