Does any company make a Helmet lock for 8th gen?

Discussion in '8th Generation 2014-Present' started by SubyRS, Jul 11, 2023.

1. SubyRS

SubyRS Member

United States
    Map
    The helmet lock cables on the 8th gen are obviously an afterthought by Honda. They must have forgotten to Cad a sensible helmet lock onto the frame in design phase, and that carried unnoticed into production that way.

Doh! Quick, weld some curly-Q barbs onto the frame before the boss notices ! Doh! Now the helmet straps wont reach the curly-Q barbs! Quick, crimp some of that bailing wire over there into extension cables. Doh! Now the cable is scraping the paint off the plastic bodywork. Cut some of that scrap rubber tubing over there and put it over the steel cable. So what if they can be clipped with a pair of small wire cutters.

While even my limited 200 unit track production model 89' FZR 400 had a keyed helmet lock, the sport touring VFR 800 does not. Is there any real world solution where two people could lock there helmets to these bikes with a key and not have to carefully manipulate looped cables onto the bike without scratching the paint on the bike or the helmets? Tired of being the last one in to the hang-out because of this slow, tedious process.

2. Captain 80s

Captain 80s Member

United States
    There's a bunch of different style Honda Helmet Locks out there. Do some looking around on your bike and see where you can mount a bracket to improve access and bolt one on.

HL1.jpg
    HL2.jpg
    HL3.jpg
    HL4.jpg

Some Hondas even used brackets to do just that. Time to get creative.

HL5.png
    HL6.jpg

There's even after market ones designed to bolt on to a tube.

HL7.jpg

Thumbs likes this.
  3. Vulcanator

Vulcanator New Member

United States
    I bought the OEM toolkit, and there's a cable for the purpose for locking a helmet part number: 77236-KAZ-780, it's in stock at Partzilla.

4. Captain 80s

Captain 80s Member

United States
    Did you actually even read his post?

5. Vulcanator

Vulcanator New Member

United States
    Not carefully enough-oops!

6. Captain 80s

Captain 80s Member

United States
    Translation coming through... processing....

"no"

7. SubyRS

SubyRS Member

United States
    Map
    Yeah, the silly cable is the part I was complaining about. Sorry I was long winded but was just trying to be humorous about such an obvious fail on Honda's part.

But the after market one looks interesting. Where did you see that one Captain? It looks like the one that was on my FZR400.

8. Captain 80s

Captain 80s Member

United States
    All eBay

9. JAMurillo

JAMurillo New Member

United States
    Personally, I use LidLox which I replaced one of the right hand control retaining bolt.
    You can even fit 2 helmet in the slot
    upload_2023-9-19_11-25-1.png

10. SubyRS

SubyRS Member

United States
    Map
    Daaang! I've never seen those. I blame the demise of the monthly paper motorcycle journals for that.
    I'm checking out the black bar end set now. Not listed for 8th gen but will inquire.
    Thank you : )

11. SubyRS

SubyRS Member

United States
    Map
    Update: Ordered Black bar end lock pair. Those are awesome! They look like stock bar end weights.
    I'm going to surprise my wife when we park and lock up on our next ride : )

JAMurillo likes this.
  12. JAMurillo

JAMurillo New Member

United States
    Enjoy it bro.
    Their T bracket also fits ratchet system helmet [because it's thin]

13. SubyRS

SubyRS Member

United States
    Map
    I received the LidLox in two days. I installed the bar end locks and a couple of things became apparent immediately and one after riding just a few minutes.

First, the cap bolts included in the kit only thread in less than 1/4" and they are too short IMO.
    See pic of black OEM Honda 6 x 45mm screw verses the kits short 25mm cap screw next to it. The third 6mm x 40mm cap screw is what I bought to replace them with.

Next, the two identical end spacers included leave the left grip end with a largish gap, and the right throttle side too narrow to even fit the included install wrench into. Can't win there. The two spacers need to be a different thickness to work properly for each bar end. IMO.

The instructions caution against tightening the lock cores too much and once you have them in your hand, you see why. They are (and the instructions readily admit) very delicate pieces and so are the actual keys. These are small locks with tiny keys like you would imaging for a delicate, non-secure jewelry box. The locks will not release your helmet unless you unweight it before trying to turn the key. Otherwise, you will probably break the thin little key right off. The instructions warn that it is possible for the locks to fail and not release your helmet at all. They recommend keeping the included allen wrench with you in case this happens. You will then be required to unscrew the lock core (with your helmet attached) all the way out. Sounds like fun! You can then ride home with a lock dangling from your chin strap LOL!

So next, after riding to my Ace Hardware store and back to buy the proper length installation screws, I noticed that the lock core set screws had already loosened. I used blue Locktite on them and re-tightened them after replacing my new longer install screws.

In Use: Two of our helmets fit right into these locks without incident and one helmet, though also equipped with a d-ring strap, still requires the included T-bar to work. If your d-ring strap is not actually D-shaped (some are more rectangular), it will not work without the T-bar.

All in all, these locks are in the $24.95 value category and do not offer a very secure helmet lock solution IMO. A 10" long #3 flat head screwdriver will easily pry your helmet right out of the flimsy locks by the looks of it. The bar end lock is a great idea, cheaply executed IMO and certainly not worth the $100 I paid for the pair.

20230924_134326.jpg 20230924_134318.jpg 20230924_132623.jpg

14. SubyRS

SubyRS Member

United States
    Map
    I notice more fine vibration from the bars now that I installed the LidLox. They should have been made out of steel, not aluminum. I didn't know they were aluminum before I bought them. The left side main screw keeps vibrating loose. Will have to remove and use blue lock tight on those screws too. The OEM screw has nylon locking pad on the screws.

15. Captain 80s

Captain 80s Member

United States
    "What a roller coaster of emotions", I think after reading this, as I walk off with my $1000+ helmet in my hand.

Any place I feel comfortable enough to leave my helmet locked to my bike... I don't have to lock it at all.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2023
    Thumbs likes this.
  16. Captain 80s

Captain 80s Member

United States
    Are you sure they're not actually plastic?

barend.jpg
    playmobil.jpg

Last edited: Oct 5, 2023
    bmart and Thumbs like this.
  17. fatshoutybloke

fatshoutybloke New Member

United Kingdom
    Map

Attached Files:

Grum likes this.